Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Andrew Malkinson case quashed.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
It was bad enough he was stiched up in the first place but it is made even worse when in 2009 the Court of Appeal decided a partial DNA sample not his or the woman attacked was insufficient to challenge his conviction. The judges need a long hard look at themselves. They had the chance to let him have the last 13 years a free man.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
He was on R4 this morning regarding this total shambles of a case any should he receive any compensation as it stands i believe that The Prison service are able to charge for Board and Lodgings. Not sure if they have tried this before with other cases i/e The Birmingham Six and others? An absolute disgrace.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
He was on R4 this morning regarding this total shambles of a case any should he receive any compensation as it stands i believe that The Prison service are able to charge for Board and Lodgings. Not sure if they have tried this before with other cases i/e The Birmingham Six and others? An absolute disgrace.
This is true, at least it's how it was when I worked in the criminal justice system many, many years ago. I suspect I would have heard if it had changed, because I thought it was disgusting back then and still do - it's the sort of thing that would probably have crossed my radar.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yes , apart from material compensation, if any of the Judges, Prosecutors and Police are still serving, they need to be fired, perhaps the **** in charge of the CPS at the time can fall on their sword too, and all should publicly apologise for f***ing up! I appreciate none of the above will Happen

If it’s anything like the Kiszko case, the SIO, a Chief Inspector and the Home Office pathologist who knowingly framed him, never faced Perjury charges as ‘It wasn’t in the public interest’.

How it wasn’t in the public interest, I have no idea.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
If they knowingly had evidence proving his innocence, that’s absolutely shocking. Surely someone should be accountable for this. I doubt they will though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's still a shocking miscarriage of justice though. e'll have earned every penny of compensation he gets (and it should be millions).
Sadly it's limited to a mere £1m and 25% of that can be taken by the prison service. It should be at least £1m for every year served and ZERO deductions.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’ve seen mixed reports of this in the past ranging from £40 per week to 25% of compensation.

No idea how the compensation award is calculated though. I’m assuming there’s multiple parts such as genuine income / income expectancy lost during the tenure as well as the actual compensation of the experience

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Makes you wonder just how many folk before the age of scrutiny and DNA were screwed over in this way.

The Police in this country have been lawless for too long.
Let’s not throw baby out with the bath water.

Not everyone in prison is innocent. In fact, I’m told on good authority all are almost certainly guilty!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here