Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] America's true soccr city

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
After 10 years out here, 5 of which being roughly half-way between Montreal and Toronto, I still haven't decided on which of TFC or Montreal should be 'my' Canadian team.

Oh my, as someone who lives in Ottawa-Gatineau, that shouldn't even be close -- whereas most MLS clubs are brimful of internationals, CF Montréal usually play 6 Canadians (including several homegrown in Québec at their academy) and 2 or 3 Americans. AND they made the semi-finals, last season. Around a quarter the national men's squad is made of CFM players, as well.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Oh my, as someone who lives in Ottawa-Gatineau, that shouldn't even be close -- whereas most MLS clubs are brimful of internationals, CF Montréal usually play 6 Canadians (including several homegrown in Québec at their academy) and 2 or 3 Americans. AND they made the semi-finals, last season. Around a quarter the national men's squad is made of CFM players, as well.

So you're saying I should ignore the MLS and go for Atletico Ottawa?

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
You can root for CF Montréal and attend the Atlético matches in Ottawa! Win-win ;)

I really wanted to attend the CSL final against Hamilton at Lansdowne last October, but prior committments and all... I used to buy ticket packages to the Fury every 2 or 3 years, though.

P.S. I can't even bring myself to cheer on the Raptors or the Blue Jays, much less TFC, lol :sick:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I read on CBS8 at the weekend that a consortium has proposed a new development for San Diego, similar to the Olympic Park - inc. a new soccer stadium for an MLS franchise.

Fingers crossed!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Surprises me that San Diego dont have an MLS team at all tbh, considering the large population of Latinos down that way, & a complete lack of NFL, NBA, and NHL teams in the city. Soccer is very popular, but they still only have a USL team with the San Diego Loyal (founded by Landon Donovan) playing in a uni stadium with a capacity of 6k.

https://www.sdloyal.com/

View attachment 158933

Maybe one day...

They tried to put a Latino team in MLS but it failed, granted it was North of San Diego

It was part of a Mexican club from memory.

Think there is too many teams in that part of the country.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I spend a lot of time in BC, and have had the misfortune of going to a couple of Whitecaps games. The standard is indeed very poor in comparison to what we’ve become accustomed to.

If I had a comparison, the matches I’ve seen live have been like scrappy League One or even League Two affairs, depending on the team.

I was most surprised at how direct the football was. I thought it would be a lot slower, like the Italian game, more methodical. But not in my limited experience, it’s harem-scarem stuff, playing for the second ball.

Good athletes but technically extremely lacking. They’d get absolutely creamed in the Championship, let alone the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here