Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Amazon prime com

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Phone call just now re Amazon prime re big cost increase.. When you want to cancel, obviously, they say you have to do it on line.

Instructions include typing in/down loading TeamViewer... Obviously a con at that point but my wife was unaware when she took the call, luckily passed the call to me.

Robbing scumbags taking advantage of such times. Thought some could be vulnerable so thought worth posting it. Sure there will be many more such cons at this time.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Phone call just now re Amazon prime re big cost increase.. When you want to cancel, obviously, they say you have to do it on line.

Instructions include typing in/down loading TeamViewer... Obviously a con at that point but my wife was unaware when she took the call, luckily passed the call to me.

Robbing scumbags taking advantage of such times. Thought some could be vulnerable so thought worth posting it. Sure there will be many more such cons at this time.

Thanks for sharing

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Along with the wnkrs emailing just now from the ‘World Health Organisation’ with another financial scam.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I had a mail from them advising I needed to cancel Prime when I had already with a form that asked me to put my bank details on it, conning twats

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My Dad had the same call as the OP 6 weeks ago, he’s normally quite savvy, but they convinced him, but it was my ‘can’t even work the TV remote’ Mum who got him to hang up as he was about to install the app on his iPad.

He’s not heard the last one of that since! :smile:

We’ve had to change my Grandad’s landline number as he was on so many scam databases that it was getting ridiculous. He had 3 separate warranties on his Sky box, a new 2yr warranty on his 10 yr old washing machine costing more than a new machine, and countless other things. He must have been down as a sales ‘dead cert’. He is 98, but been doing this sort of thing for years.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Literally just received a text saying I won a £500 gift voucher from Argos. It goes without saying I didn't click on the link.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My Dad had the same call as the OP 6 weeks ago, he’s normally quite savvy, but they convinced him, but it was MU ‘can’t even work the TV remote’ Mum who got him to hang up as he was about to install the app on his iPad.

He’s not heard the last one of that since! :smile:

We’ve had to change my Grandad’s landline number as he was on so many scam databases that it was getting ridiculous. He had 3 separate warranties on his Sky box, a new 2yr warranty on his 10 yr old washing machine costing more than a new machine, and countless other things. He must have been down as a sales ‘dead cert’. He is 98, but been doing this sort of thing for years.

Disgusting isn’t it. I never hold it against older folk, normally they’re less IT savvy, plus they’ve often lost the savviness that we have through age.

Well done your Mum btw.

I’m always polite to callers etc, but when I’ve had scammers call me (BT Openreach purportedly) and I’m certain it’s not BT, I sometimes launch into an abusive monologue at a volume to override their reply. I know it makes no difference, but it’s cathartic for me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Disgusting isn’t it. I never hold it against older folk, normally they’re less IT savvy, plus they’ve often lost the savviness that we have through age.

Well done your Mum btw.

I’m always polite to callers etc, but when I’ve had scammers call me (BT Openreach purportedly) and I’m certain it’s not BT, I sometimes launch into an abusive monologue at a volume to override their reply. I know it makes no difference, but it’s cathartic for me.

I’m a hang up as soon as there is a pause then a connection click which you know is my answering being routed to an operator. I was asked what if it’s important? Simple answer is they’d call back. If within a few minutes of hanging up the phone went again, I’d probably wait.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If I don't recognise the number, I won't answer. It goes to voicemail or they call me back.
I haven't had a scam call for weeks now.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I had an email saying my TV license is due to run out in 2 days. Complete scam as it is in direct debit.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
95% of us reading this will think 'how can anyone be so stupid to fall for that'?
Then my Mum (86, lives alone) said she had a call from Amazon about her subscription and they wanted bank details. She was petrified and is still worried about it. She gave no details (she has no Amazon) but is concerned her TV will go off.
I read about a Microsoft OneDrive email con and I'm still not sure I didn't fall for it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The Amazon prime one has been running for about a year if not longer.....had another one myself earlier....the relatively new one seems to be HMRC issuing an arrest warrant etc

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If I don't recognise the number, I won't answer. It goes to voicemail or they call me back.
I haven't had a scam call for weeks now.
Me too.

Any unknown number I ignore. I'll then look them up on the internet and block them if it is a known harasser. Multiple calls will be blocked after a day.

If they don't leave a message or send a text they won't ever speak to me.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The Amazon prime one has been running for about a year if not longer.....had another one myself earlier....the relatively new one seems to be HMRC issuing an arrest warrant etc
I've had the HMRC a few times now. Really worried until the message talked about an arrest warrant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here