Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ali J with 5 to go

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think there's going to be plenty on here who will never see eye-to-eye on Jahanbakhsh.

I will say that he's probably a bit too weak physically (and maybe mentally, seems like he might be a bit too nice?) and ineffective for it to work out with us. Possibly not quite Prem quality.

However people saying he's just shit are talking utter nonsense. He's clearly got a lot of ability - more naturally gifted with a ball than, say, Ashley Barnes - but someone like Barnes massively makes up for it with determination and work rate.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not sure why Izzy even bothers getting changed.

I was pondering this as I read through this thread. Why, if he is fit, isn't he getting "Ali J time"? What's the problem with giving him 10-15 mins?

He either isn't fit or Potter just doesn't see anything in him. In which case put one of the youngsters on the bench to give them matchday experience.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Excluding his 2 starts this season, he's averaging 10 mins on the pitch per appearance. His previous 5 sub appearances have been 3 mins (Everton), 3 mins (Man U), 1 min (Leicester), 9 mins (Palace), 1 min (West Ham). In none of those games were we holding out for a win so they can't be time wasting subs. Genuinely, what is the point?

Whatever you think of Ali J, it's hard not to feel he is being hard done by at the moment.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just a shame for fours years every game we are desperate for a result. Oh for a mid table position with 15 games to go when some fringe players like Ali could get a run of 3/4 games. With injuries to March and Lampty crying out for a wide player but in our position perhaps understandable rather then giving our 2 available wide players ago we are making do. Am sure it is because Potter has doubts about there defensive qualities

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
I was pondering this as I read through this thread. Why, if he is fit, isn't he getting "Ali J time"? What's the problem with giving him 10-15 mins?

He either isn't fit or Potter just doesn't see anything in him. In which case put one of the youngsters on the bench to give them matchday experience.

Or give minutes to someone who has a future at the club - a few weeks ago GP trusted Zaqiri enough defensively to play him at LWB, plus he offers a lot going forward. I’m not sure who benefits from another brief Ali J cameo - and I think he’s a good player.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I agree, but surely a sub needs more than 5 minutes to make an impact.

Most subs come on around 60-70 minutes unless it's a time wasting 90+1 yet AJ comes on regularly in the last 5 minutes.

Not sure why Izzy even bothers getting changed.

I can't answer that, only Potter can. Maybe they're trying to get his appearances up so we can ask for a bit more for him in the summer. Ali is a good lad with s good mentality, he probably doesn't mind coming on five minutes before the end every game, so maybe they just use him as and when someone looks tired

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
If Izquierdo wasn’t allowed 10 - 15 mins when we were 3 up v Newcastle I can’t see a situation when he would be brought on so pointless having him on bench ahead of one of the U23’s.
IMHO, him, AJ and Alzate can’t be trusted by GP to be up the job he requires, shame as all have shown glimpses of real quality but can’t have much of a future at the club.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I think he'll move on this summer. He's obviously not a bad player, but he's also not showing enough that he's suddenly going to start providing goals & assists. Given more time on the pitch he'd probably pop up with a few here & there but not enough to dislodge someone like Trossard from the starting 11. & so if he's always going to be a bench option at best we should just cut our losses & move him on. Easier said than done though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here