Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Alex Neil sacked.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Stoke's Premier League tenure is but a distant memory. On the plus side it'll only be 3 or 4 years 'til Sean Dyche will be at their level and available.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Hasn't he turned down other offers because he's waiting for an EPL club. Stoke would be beneath him.
GPott needs to build up his street cred again, & to do that l think a Championship club might be ideal for him, provided he is given the time to build his own squad.

He would be less in the limelight, no big time Charlie's ruling the dressing room, and it was whilst he was at smaller clubs, Ostersund, Swansea, and Brighton that he acheived a fair degree of success. When he decamped for the bright lights and massive egos of Chelsea, it all went pear shaped for him.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
GPott needs to build up his street cred again, & to do that l think a Championship club might be ideal for him, provided he is given the time to build his own squad.

He would be less in the limelight, no big time Charlie's ruling the dressing room, and it was whilst he was at smaller clubs, Ostersund, Swansea, and Brighton that he acheived a fair degree of success. When he decamped for the bright lights of Chelsea it all went pear shaped for him.
I think you're right. But he needs to choose the right Championship Club who have a Chairman who will back him financially. I think Birmingham City would have been perfect for him instead of Rooney. I can see them starting to spend money in the next few years and Rooney will squander that money.

Personally. I think Potter will aim for the big bucks and go to Saudi. Not sure what his " "compromise agreement " with Chelsea was but I expected him to be in another job by now. The fact that he isn't. Tends to suggest that his settlement is in tranches and that payments might be contracted to cease if he takes another job before their natural cessation date.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think you're right. But he needs to choose the right Championship Club who have a Chairman who will back him financially. I think Birmingham City would have been perfect for him instead of Rooney. I can see them starting to spend money in the next few years and Rooney will squander that money.

Personally. I think Potter will aim for the big bucks and go to Saudi. Not sure what his " "compromise agreement " with Chelsea was but I expected him to be in another job by now. The fact that he isn't. Tends to suggest that his settlement is in tranches and that payments might be contracted to cease if he takes another job before their natural cessation date.

I don'tisagree with what you say, however Potte,r allegedly anyway, turned down an interview for the Leicester vacancy when Brendan Rodgers was sacked, so he may see potential opportunities at the likes of Birmingham or Soke as being beneath his capabilities.

As for any compensation agreement with Chelsea, who knows? you may be right. Somehow though, and for no particular reason, l can't see him wanting to ply his trade in Saudi.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Lots of issues at Stoke City and recruitment is certainly one of those, myself thought that Bristol City might or maybe they did liked to have spoken with him ?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Apart from Mark Robins managing Cheltenham or Swindon will this be the only chance of the managers name and club nickname aligning to such a perfect degree?
This guy's available to take over from Hodgson?

IMG_1498.jpeg

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
That took me straight back to memories of John Motson (end of this video).

I've still got the same t-shirt Baddiel is wearing there - the Warhol-esque portrait of Statto (STATTO! STATTO! STATTO!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here