Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alex Dawson

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
My first ever Albion Hero.

As a kid, sitting on the North Stand wall, the sight of Alex coming thundering in to meet a corner, ready to take ball, keeper and any defender around, into the back of the net, was the most frightening sight I had seen in my life.

Very sad news. RIP Alex

View attachment 126200

Me too. We must have been sitting near each other! I remember there was a keeper with a beard and Alex standing in front of him staring him down whist stroking the non-existent beard on his chin.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
aah that's sad news.

I knocked on his front door (Brasslands Drive ?) when I was a kid and he gave me his autograph - a really nice guy and a great centre forward.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
He was an old style centre forward and I always enjoyed seeing him bearing down on goal. I'm sure he must have terrified the opposition goalkeeper!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There is a wonderful picture in John Vinnicombe's book of Dawson, ball and goalkeeper all in the back of the net - tried to scan it, but printer not having any of it! My main memories of him of wet nights at places like Tranmere, Southport, Preston and Shrewsbury in the time I spent a Liverpool Uni. I thought he would be much older than 80 too.

Anyway, RIP Black Prince.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Always recall his winner against Portsmouth in the League Cup in front of a packed Goldstone under the floodlights in 1969. My first memory of the Albion beating a team from a higher division (and a rare highlight in the League Cup)

RIP
What a game! What a night! A big crowd. I was in the Chicken Run with my dad and uncle. My biggest memory of the night was of a couple of sailors walking around the pitch then jumping into the North Stand to a rousing welcome. North Stand taken again?? Alex it seemed to me was a bit of a joker on the pitch, trying to gee up the crowd. RIP big man.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I have never really been one for remembering details of old matches but I do remember Alex with his back towards the North Stand flicking the ball over his head and back healing it in the net.
Please tell me I didn't remember that wrong.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
How sad. A good old fashioned centre forward. Not particularly tall, but hard and stocky. Remember his diving headed goal in the north stand, sliding through the mud!

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
I have never really been one for remembering details of old matches but I do remember Alex with his back towards the North Stand flicking the ball over his head and back healing it in the net.
Please tell me I didn't remember that wrong.

You remembered it exactly right. FA Cup 2nd round game v Walsall December 1969.

It seemed that he was fooling about...their 'keeper never moved a muscle. He was a character for sure and a great Goldstone favourite back then.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
RIP Alex, remember him the goalkeeper and the ball in the back of the net. I was only 10 but what a player.

Yup, remember that one well. And the great thing was that he untangled himself from the net having almost concussed said keeper and came charging back onto pitch, arms in the air, yelling toothless YEEESSSSS! One of the few occasions I have seen a ref have a good laugh.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was Alex Dawson although a scrawny little kid,

Him and Kit my first real heroes

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
I'm pretty sure Alex Dawson scored the first Albion goal I ever witnessed with a blistering header when I went to the Goldstone for the first time.
I wish I knew who it was against.
Anyway, I'm sure his physical playing style rubbed off on me as I went about my not so illustrious footballing exploits in the years that followed and probably why I ended up being a better rugby player.
RIP Alex.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP Alex one of my heroes , legend to those who saw him play for BHA......The best picture

Attachments

• img661.jpg
    img661.jpg
    737.9 KB · Views: 71

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here