Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums of the year

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not a bad list. Got quite a lot of those. Haven't listened to the Jack White album because there were so many poor reviews.

However, gig-wise, one of the best tracks I heard live this year was at the Green Door Store and it was from these guys. @Pogue Mahone will testify - they blew the room away. It deserves a bigger audience.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stromae - Multitude.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
My list from a not particularly extensive year of music purchasing or gig going.

Oren Ambarchi and friends (from Fire!, the trio with Mats Gustafsson)

The wonderful Mary Halvorson - Amaryllis

A slightly subdued Gnod.

Immanuel Wilkins - 7th Hand, who has just been announced for Love Supreme. More acts of this quality and I may return to that festival.

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Top 5 Albums:
1. BCNR - Ants From Up There
2. Fontaines DC - Skinty Fia
3. The Big Moon - Here is Everything
4. CMAT - If My Wife New I’d Be Dead
5. First Aid Kit - Palomino

Top 5 Gigs:
1. Bon Iver - London 02 (Taylor Swift night)
2. The National - All Points East
3. Bob Vylan - The Great Escape
4. Tallest Man on Earth - London Earth
5. Fontaines DC - Brighton Chalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Unsure whether to put this in AotY or Albums 2022, but I'm really enjoying Kalak by Sarathay Korwar. I suspect this might work for @Herr Tubthumper and @1066familyman.

On a slightly different note, I've recently bought a couple of albums that are from way back, but have had them on repeat for a while now. They are:
Love Supreme by John Coltrane
The Sophtware Slump by Granddaddy
I'm pretty sure an Albums 2023 thread will crop up soon, but is there a thread that would cater for similar encounters between a poster and a past album and, if not, would there be interest in starting one up?

Back to what I should be focusing on, I can now go for a top four albums of 2022 (I haven't really listened to enough, or been taken by enough to go further than four):
1, BCNR Ants from up here
2, Binker & Moses
3, The Smile
4, Pharoah Sanders and Floating Points

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Unsure whether to put this in AotY or Albums 2022, but I'm really enjoying Kalak by Sarathay Korwar. I suspect this might work for @Herr Tubthumper and @1066familyman.

On a slightly different note, I've recently bought a couple of albums that are from way back, but have had them on repeat for a while now. They are:
I'm pretty sure an Albums 2023 thread will crop up soon, but is there a thread that would cater for similar encounters between a poster and a past album and, if not, would there be interest in starting one up?

Back to what I should be focusing on, I can now go for a top four albums of 2022 (I haven't really listened to enough, or been taken by enough to go further than four):
2, Binker & Moses
3, The Smile
It's a very good album but isn't the Floating Points the year before?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Style Crown - 360 Physicals
Kings Disease III - Was
10 - Westside Gunn
Equivalent Exchange - Kormac
Gramophone Soul - Soul Revolution

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It is. March 21 was the release. Proves how old I am that I'm thinking it was from last year.
Any thoughts on the other albums, ideas in my previous post?
I like what I've heard of 2 and 3. Not much a fan of 1.

I would probably say Loyle Corner was my favourite of last year

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think this is a great idea. I have similar experiences, e.g. Gil Scott Heron’s Pieces of a Man recently. Maybe we can all explain why/how we started listening to it again?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I can imagine RnB not being many people's jam on here but my album of the year is Glass Lit Dream by Dawuna. Stunning. A modern soul masterpiece which will undoubtedly get serious attention one day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A 2022 album I’m still listening to a lot is Daniel Avery’s Ultra Truth. He has a great catalogue of work now, but this is his best. Very accomplished, mature and confident with the tunes to match. It kind of feels like everything, the slight indie overtones of his debut, the ‘Alpha, techno and his dabbles in drone and his work with Alessandro Cortini, was leading up to this.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

2, Binker & Moses
3, The Smile

Thanks for heads up on Kalak. Really good album, and right up my street.

Sarathy Korwar is a name that has popped up for me from time to time but I'd never sat down to listen to any of his albums. That will change now and I'll go through his back catalogue on the strength of Kalak :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Sarathy Korwar is a name that has popped up for me from time to time but I'd never sat down to listen to any of his albums. That will change now and I'll go through his back catalogue on the strength of Kalak :thumbsup:
Well worth seeing live, if you can too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Im listening to this right now. A little bit outside my usual tastes but I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think this is a great idea. I have similar experiences, e.g. Gil Scott Heron’s Pieces of a Man recently. Maybe we can all explain why/how we started listening to it again?
Was going through some of my old cassettes recently and realised I couldn't find one of the very very few non Reggae ones. Godly & Creme... Goodbye Blue Sky.

Way outside of my normal musical tastes, so no idea how I even came to have it, but I do remember loving it at the time, and on occasional repeat listens over the years.

Sure enough, found it on Deezer and I still love it! Feels like a bit of a masterpiece to me, although I've nothing to compare it to from them as not bothered listening to any of their other stuff :lol:. Perhaps I should, but I'm a bit of a Rock snob in the same way that some people refuse to listen to Jazz as they think it's all the same and sounds like a racket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here