Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Women

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Yes, confirmed now.

6,951 at the Amex back in October for the visit of Spurs, so almost 1/3rd down on that.

Despite South Today's enthusiasm on the news, they were never likely to break the attendance record with an evening game.

Lessons to be learned.
Obviously this means nothing, but it did feel a lot busier than the Spurs game did.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Just listened to the latest BHA podcast, very interesting re women stadium. It seems most of the changes are in the grand scheme quite minor. Surely it must be a lot cheaper to modify the Amex than spend tens of millions on a purpose built stadium?
However the one point that is crucial is that right now the Amex is just too big. So I guess a new stadium does make sense. I’d like to know where the money is coming from though and that it won’t negatively affect the mens team.
If they do build this stadium, then would it make sense to build it with a future eye on being able to expand the capacity to be larger than the Amex?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’d like to know where the money is coming from though and that it won’t negatively affect the mens team.
Probably the same place it came from when the Albion was losing money every season under Bloom until the last couple of seasons

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Just listened to the latest BHA podcast, very interesting re women stadium. It seems most of the changes are in the grand scheme quite minor. Surely it must be a lot cheaper to modify the Amex than spend tens of millions on a purpose built stadium?
However the one point that is crucial is that right now the Amex is just too big. So I guess a new stadium does make sense. I’d like to know where the money is coming from though and that it won’t negatively affect the mens team.
If they do build this stadium, then would it make sense to build it with a future eye on being able to expand the capacity to be larger than the Amex?
The main issue is, yes, the Amex is just too big and they'd actually like to move to the Amex if crowds grow to justify it. I think if they could regularly fill the lower tier then playing at the Amex is justified.

As for expanding the potential new stadium, Barber has actually talked about going the other way. Having a modular stadium whose capacity could be reduced if the women's side moved to the Amex on a permanent basis. This would allow the stadium to be used for other things (say U-21s or being a community stadium that's genuinely used by the community) and lower the general upkeep cost. I believe he even talked about the potential of any modules potentially being able to be reused for other clubs, I guess similar to the shipping container stadium used at the last World Cup

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The main issue is, yes, the Amex is just too big and they'd actually like to move to the Amex if crowds grow to justify it. I think if they could regularly fill the lower tier then playing at the Amex is justified.

As for expanding the potential new stadium, Barber has actually talked about going the other way. Having a modular stadium whose capacity could be reduced if the women's side moved to the Amex on a permanent basis. This would allow the stadium to be used for other things (say U-21s or being a community stadium that's genuinely used by the community) and lower the general upkeep cost. I believe he even talked about the potential of any modules potentially being able to be reused for other clubs, I guess similar to the shipping container stadium used at the last World Cup
Stadium 974……currently standing empty and unused…..like a few of the others built for the World Cup

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Probably the same place it came from when the Albion was losing money every season under Bloom until the last couple of seasons
Exactly, the money is coming from
Tony Bloom. The latest club accounts show negative reserves of £27.7m, with a debt owed to TB of £373m… sorry for reiterating this but both figure are important.

The men’s team are where they are because of his investment. Full Stop.

If he wants to put more money into the women’s team and for the means team to become self sufficient (which given its turnover is now over £200m per year, is quite reasonable), that’s his decision.

Putting money into the women’s team is an investment with a view to being part of a WSL that in 10-years time will likely have significantly higher broadcast revenue deals. Frankly, it would be irresponsible not to invest disproportionately in the women and girls side of things given the circumstances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here