[Albion] Albion™

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
How are writers and historians taking the news? Not well. Author Peter Ackroyd said: “Albion is one of the most ancient names for Britain and cannot be owned.”

I’m no legal expert, but he appears to be wrong there. Indeed. Perfidious Albion 1, Classicists 0.

:lolol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can we trademark Barber Out™ before he does? :shrug:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Surely they can only secure the word Albion when used in any way, shape or form in association with the football club.
i.e. a scarf that states ALBION in blue & white colours could be illegal whilst the Albion Cafe or Albion Scaffolders with a red & white logo could not be illegal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
trademarks are only applicable to an area of trade granted for, not blanket use of the word. so this would only be for sport related context, not preventing use in poetry and history contexts. shame two leading papers couldnt be bothered with such detail.

though seems pointless, as unless they intend to go off and procescute Burton and other "Albion" clubs, they'll lose the trademark as they have to be enforced to be maintained. and thats not a good look, hounding lower league clubs for their name.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Brighton and West Brom have secured the rights to the name which was used as far back as the sixth century – and historians are not taking the news well

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ain-really-been-trademarked-by-football-clubs

Or for a less Q&A piece of coverage:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...football-teams-trademark-oldest-name-british/

Interesting bit of news I think.

What about poor Burton, Rovers and Stirling?

Are they now Burton Town, AFC Rovers and Stirling United?*

EDIT: *apologies - now seen the other witty responses.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I hope that those already using the name can’t be stopped retrospectively. Barber getting precious again. I recall a problem with him not liking some badges worn by some junior football clubs because they had a seagull on them.
I expect him next to go for anyone trying to advertise anything “blue and white”. The little sweet shop just north of the tunnel on Fonthill Road would have had some issues. Or perhaps ban people from the ground if they don’t turn up in club merchandise.
He’s already put thermos companies out of business! It really is so over the top. They’re hardly losing a fortune to those few people looking to make a few bob, and they can stop sales around the ground anyway.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I expect him next to go for anyone trying to advertise anything “blue and white”. The little sweet shop just north of the tunnel on Fonthill Road would have had some issues.

Fairly sure the club hasn't trademarked "blue and white"...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Unbelievable all the terrible things Paul Barber gets away with behind Tony Blooms back. Someone should tell Tony

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What about poor Burton, Rovers and Stirling?

Are they now Burton Town, AFC Rovers and Stirling United?*

EDIT: *apologies - now seen the other witty responses.

I really have little time for Burton's concerns, considering that they have variously been called Burton Town, Burton Swifts, Burton Wanderers, Burton All Saints and Burton United before finally settling on Burton Albion. I don't think they can get to choose all the suffixes at one time or another and then get snotty at someone else using the name :p

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here