Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Mount Rushmore

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Hmm I struggled whether or not to include him at all and clearly didn’t but only on the back of the fact that I don’t think that initial climb out of the doledrums was as influential as you say to our current position. Don’t forget we dropped back one division twice before making our ascent.

Goal scorers are vital to successful teams - hence our current frustrations - but I don’t think he was as influential in the long run. His sale price didn’t change much, he went for far too little in classic Albion fashion. On his recent return it was amazing to see him play for the stripes again but he couldn’t quite get us over the line, which is why I chose Murray.

Never put anybody on my ignore list before but you were nearly the first trying to back up your decision not to include Zamora :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This is so subjective, and nigh on impossible to seperate four from all the other many worthy candidates.

But put on the spot l would probably go with Ward, Murray, and Webb too, as for the fourth though, l'm really struggling.

I might have been whooshed here but …… Bobby ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I follow a football website called These Football Times - worth a look if you have time - and they’ve started an interesting feature whereby as the title suggests you nominate four of the most influential players of all time for your club.

Seeing as they’re unlikely to feature us I thought we could have a crack. Clearly different eras will mean more to different people but we’re talking all time here so try to think further back than the promotion season?!

Peter Ward - talismanic, a gem unearthed and hugely influential in our rise to the First Division for the first time. Sure goalscorers hog the limelight right but without him our rise might never have happened.

Glenn Murray - So close to breaking our all time goal scoring record but so influential on his return to the club that think most of us agree if we’d have signed him sooner we’d have been in the Premier League much sooner. Iconic.

Charlie Webb - just a name to most of us and yes another goal scorer but how many can lay claim to having been a record goal scorer, our first ever full international, scoring the winning goal of our only notable trophy to date, then fought in the First World War getting promoted to Captain and returning to the Albion afterwards as our manager. A post in which he remained until 1947. A club legend.

Gary Hart - has there been a better value purchase ever than OGH? Costing a grand and a set of tracksuits he came with little to no fan fair and injected some much needed hope, running and never say die attitude. A man who repeatedly proved his worth to manager after manager even through his advancing years. A joy to watch and a player we could all depend on.

Notable mentions but not quite making it into the rock face:

Brian Horton
Danny Cullip
Bruno
Johnny Crumplin Football Genius
Alan Curbishly
Johnny Byrne

Many will disagree and that’s the whole point, so fire away!

I know it's individual opinion but I fail to see how the likes of Cullip, JC, AC and JB are ahead of Zamora, Foster, Tommy Cook.

My four would be

Ward, his goals were the catalyst for the rise to the top flight for the first time in the club's history.

Foster, he was outstanding and our most capped England player (i believe).

Zamora, his goals were the catalyst for our promotions at the start of the century and then that near miss in 2016.

Webb. Everything has already been said.

If you want an option that is a bit left field choice then perhaps Robbie Reinelt!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Never put anybody on my ignore list before but you were nearly the first trying to back up your decision not to include Zamora :)

Plenty of reasons to have me on there over this one!

It was bloody hard and I love him to pieces but was trying to be true to the original spirit of this in terms of overall contribution and rightly or wrongly just scoring goals wasn’t enough for me to have a second spot solely as a striker where I felt Ward did more by getting us to the first division for the first time.

Original football content is so tough which is why I stole this idea but I think it’s a great one

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am going to go purely on my own heart. Not necessarily the best or even at the highest level players and obviously age related……..When I was a young man….

Ward Zamora Dunk Horton

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Charlie Webb
Peter Ward
Tommy Cook
Bobby Zamora

But very close:-
Alan Mullery
Dick Knight
Robbie Reinelt

I could go on! ��

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I tend to think this sort of thing should be based off your gut reaction without thinking about it too much. These were mine on that basis.

Ward, Horton, Zamora, Dunk

But now thinking about it I could easily change that with names like Foster, Case, Bruno and Calderon leaping in. A decent argument for Nelson as well. Will never forget that 87-88 season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think people have moved away from the concept here. The idea of Mount Rushmore was to celebrate presidents who had made the USA what it was. Similarly, a club's Mt Rushmore is celebrating those players who have throughout history made the club what it is today.

When it was carved, there was no-one left alive who could remember a Washington or Jefferson presidency but their record in US history was appreciated. We've had a 120 years of Albion history, so putting players solely from the last 30 years is like naming Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron as the greatest prime ministers in British history,

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bloody difficult question !

Obviously Ward has to be in there and equally I couldn't leave out Zamora. Then it gets really hard - I'd like to put in Horton but equally Cullip. Then there's Gary Stevens and Steve Foster. I also have a fondness of Kuipers - surely one should be a keeper ? I've also got to include Hart - my favourite player of all the time I've watched the Albion. So my four would be :

Ward
Zamora
Hart
And .... drum roll please .... Jimmy Case ! Controversial maybe.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
When ever I have heard him speak he only ever talks of his time at Liverpool

But probably the best player ever to play for Brighton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think people have moved away from the concept here. The idea of Mount Rushmore was to celebrate presidents who had made the USA what it was. Similarly, a club's Mt Rushmore is celebrating those players who have throughout history made the club what it is today.

When it was carved, there was no-one left alive who could remember a Washington or Jefferson presidency but their record in US history was appreciated. We've had a 120 years of Albion history, so putting players solely from the last 30 years is like naming Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron as the greatest prime ministers in British history,

I agree. Seems people are just putting in their favourite players. Sad that many can't relate to the history of the club otherwise Charlie Webb would be on everyone's list!!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

I agree. Seems people are just putting in their favourite players. Sad that many can't relate to the history of the club otherwise Charlie Webb would be on everyone's list!!

I had a sense it would end up down this road but tried to be clear!

It’s for these reasons I couldn’t includ Zamora but felt the contributions from Ward and Murray in getting us into the promised land of the time had to be included.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
after due consideration...

Peter O'Sullivan
Gary Hart
Kerry Mayo
Lewis Dunk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here