Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion are up against the young guns today - as Goldson knows well [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Connor Goldson met one of his mentors when he made his comeback from injury at Southend recently.
As revealed by The Argus, the Albion defender had a good chat with his former Shrewsbury club captain Graham Coughlan, who is now with the Essex club.
Goldson returns to the Seagulls’ senior matchday 18 against Brentford today.
And the fact he faces two of his contempories underlines the sort of side manager Dean Smith is building at Griffin Park.
They are young, talented and ambitious with experience gained the hard way at times in the lower divisions.
Goldson has proved what a good combination that can be.
Two of his former Shrewsbury colleagues, Ryan Woods and Sullay Kaikai, are part of a Bees outfit*today packed with young talent.
Woods is the man who makes Bees play, operating just in front of the centre-backs and getting on the ball as much as possible.
Along with Goldson, he represented Shrews in the PFA League Two team of the year two seasons ago.
Kaikai also had a loan stint in Shropshire and has now been hired by Brentford from parent club Crystal Palace. He is likely to come off the bench at some stage for his debut having been named among the subs.
They fit in well with a young, lively and inventive Bees side.
Just look at the XI which will*face the Seagulls today.
Centre-back and skipper Harlee Dean is the elder statesman of the team at the age of 25.
Striker Scott Hogan and the man operating just behind him, Romaine Sawyers, are both 24, as is the steady right-back Maxime Colin.

Daniel Bentley is a very highly-rated young goalkeeper. At 23, he is the same age as centre-back John Egan and deep-lying midfielder Nico Yennaris.Woods and left-sided Lewis Macleod are both 22 while left-back Callum Elder and right-sided Josh Clarke*are 21.
It is an exciting mix and Woods is enjoying the buzz of a Brentford side who have changed in personnel over the last two years or so but not in football philosophy.
He said: “Sometimes people look at it as in ‘they’ve got a very young team’ but it’s about how many games you’ve played – that’s your experience.
“If you’re good enough, you’re old enough. That’s the way I’ve always seen it.
“Although we are young, we have got a good team, a very talented team and I think we can go far.
“I feel like the only way is up for me. I’m working my socks off every day in training and every Saturday and Tuesday, as it has been lately.”
The midfielder arrived at roughly the same time as Goldson made the switch from Shrewsbury to the Sussex coast.
He settled in well and recently signed a new four-year contract.
The Staffordshire boy will see a lot of the ball today, especially if things are going the way Brentford want. His job is to pull the strings like an old pro.
Article continues after...[h=3]More Articles[/h]

Woods said: “When you first come into the Championship, it’s tough to get used to the tempo and athleticism of the players you come across but I feel like I’ve grown in leaps and bounds.”
Clarke's inclusion in place of 29-year-old Vibe brings*the average age down a little more.
Vibe scored in Brentford’s last game, charging down a goalkeeper’s clearance to open the scoring in the 1-1 draw at home to Sheffield Wednesday but the Dane was later sent off for a second bookable offence.
Smith brought in his former Walsall left-back Rico Henry, 19, who has a dislocated shoulder, ahead of deadline as well as Kaikai who had a loan spell at Crawley Town two years ago.
He said: “Sullay has a bright future. He is energetic and skilful. He knows where the goal is.
“I first noticed him when he went on loan to Shrewsbury. He is bright, inventive and he looks like he enjoys football.
“He looks like he wants to get better.
“How long it took us to get him (on loan from Crystal Palace) shows how close he was to the first team squad there. It took a lot of persuasion to finally get him out of there.”
Smith makes his third trip of the season to the Amex today, having attended Albion’s wins over Rotherham and Nottingham Forest.
Both ended in 3-0 home wins, as did Brentford’s visit in February.
Smith reckons his side can keep things rather closer today.
He said: “We give them a lot of respect but we don’t fear them “We believe we are more than capable of going and competing and giving them a really good game.
“We didn’t perform well there last season. We had a lot of injury problems at that time but we go there with a near-enough full squad.
“We have new players in our building and they have as well.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here