Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Alan Rankine RIP

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of all the early 80s innovators, The Associates were one of the sublime. Billy, RIP, went some year ago. His multi talented pal, Alan has gone at the early age of 64. Legend.

boik

This was the only time I saw them. It was a great night. RIP Alan.

1979-11-17_london.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I shall now take the liberty of posting some absolute magic. Starting with this. Alan did ALL the instruments.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Enjoy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How many decades is this ahead of its time?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Saw that legendary TotP performance in hospital. On a little black&white TV, drugged to the eyeballs. Made perfect sense
RIP Alan. Nice bloke & a special talent ✨

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

The Affectionate Punch was a great album, but it was that string of singles they released afterwards (mostly in 1981 I believe, and later collected together on Fourth Drawer Down), before they went commercial with Sulk, that really stood out for me.

Loved Q Quarters & White Car in Germany, but Kitchen Person was one of those songs that the first time I heard it completely stopped me in my tracks, and was a real "WTF was that? That's incredible!" moment. As soon as I bought the 7" I went straight round to my mates' houses with it and insisted they had to listen.

RIP Alan

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Affectionate Punch was a great album, but it was that string of singles they released afterwards (mostly in 1981 I believe, and later collected together on Fourth Drawer Down), before they went commercial with Sulk, that really stood out for me.

Loved Q Quarters & White Car in Germany, but Kitchen Person was one of those songs that the first time I heard it completely stopped me in my tracks, and was a real "WTF was that? That's incredible!" moment. As soon as I bought the 7" I went straight round to my mates' houses with it and insisted they had to listen.

RIP Alan

I have 'double hipness' and 'wild and Lonely' on CD. Will dig out fourth drawer down. I missed all those singles....

Edit: bought (Amazon).

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Alan Rankine gatecrashed my 21st Birthday Party.

Well he came along with Stuart Kerr who was the original drummer with Texas.

Stuart was invited but I didn't know Alan so as he wasn't officially invited himself then technically he gatecrashed :)

el punal

This was the only time I saw them. It was a great night. RIP Alan.

View attachment 155349
That poster reminds me of the uni/poly gigs in the 70s where the students union managed to get really good acts to appear. At Brighton Poly, or maybe Sussex Uni, back around 1973 an unbelievably named band were listed. I give you ‘Randy Grope and the Exploding Green Laxative’. Anyone know or heard them? :rock:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Thanks to HWT for starting this thread. Such terrible news but not wholly surprising - he hadn't looked/sounded well in recent interviews.

For a few months in 1982 The Associates looked like the band who would make it big but Billy pulled the plug on touring America which led to Alan leaving. So sad that they would never work together long-term again as they brought out the best in each other. Alan was such a talented musician and helped a lot of bands on their way up.

Terry Hall and Alan Rankine in the space of a few days :cry:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here