Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Alan McLoughlin RIP

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I remember him destroying us at the Goldstone in around 1990.
Took it round Perry Digweed and slotted it home. 3-2 to Swindon, if I recall correctly.
Good player.
Sad loss.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Scored the goal against Northern Ireland that put the Republic through to the 94 World Cup in the USA.
None of the home nations qualified for that tournament.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Scored the goal against Northern Ireland that put the Republic through to the 94 World Cup in the USA.
None of the home nations qualified for that tournament.

Remember watching that in the Mill House pub (RIP), thinking at least there’d be some English players at the World Cup, with us having ballsed up qualifying ourselves.

RIP Alan. Damn fine player

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Really sad. Living locally and with school mates who were Pompey fans, I used to jump on the train to Fratton a bit in the 90’s and watch Pompey play and he was always a really good player. The fans loved him.

Heard him interviewed on talkSport a few years ago and he was talking about his battle with cancer and things seemed to be looking up for him. Such a sad loss and far too early an age. RIP.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Very sad passing - met him once and he seemed a very genuine guy - and an underrated footballer.

He will always be a folk hero for Irish football fans be cause of his goal in Windsor Park.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Remember him as a Pompey player first and foremost

Didn't know he played for the Republic

Sad news

Younger than myself

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Remember him as a Pompey player first and foremost

Didn't know he played for the Republic

Yep - 42 caps - born in Manchester to Irish born parents. He was picked for the English squad but turned them down to play for Ireland.

The video shows his crowning moment in an Irish jersey - the goal that won qualification for the Republic of Ireland to the 1994 world cup

The game also saw shameful antics by the North's manager Billy Bingham before and during the match whipping up sectarianism among the Northern Ireland fans. In the two weeks before the game 23 people were killed in sectarian bombings and shootings in the North. The atmosphere at the game was vicious, with sectarian abuse directed at the Republic's players, vicious racist abuse directed at Paul McGrath and Terry Phelan and physical threats targeted at Alan Kernaghan, a Protestant born in England but raised in the North. He was discarded by the North after playing underage football for them, before declaring for the Republic. On several occasions Bingham was seen on the sidelines attempting to whip up the crowd into a sectarian frenzy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here