Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ajax tonight

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’ve been on a reccy.

Went to see Ajax play tonight and looking for a new manager bounce.

They got one.

But, they are vulnerable.

They were certainly a shadow of the team that played us last week, and to be honest, they couldn’t be worse.

In some ways, they are playing De Zerbi ball. Unafraid to play the ball out from the back and out to the wide men. It’s very attractive, and if the new manager Schip can keep the confidence high then they’ll play well. But their defence is leaky and looks weak when the ball is played into the box. They have a new 17 year old central defender who looks class but is green, and it feels like a fresh pairing.

They also suffer from trying to walk the ball into the net and seem to be averse to attempting to skin the left and right backs, so the ball keeps either getting crossed in or passed back. In some ways, they reminded me of Potterball - all very attractive but no end product.

All I’ll say is that they felt a very different side. They felt like a side who had been told to go and enjoy themselves. Ok, they were playing a terrible team at the wrong end of the table, but they looked fresh. We’ll need to be aware that they’ll come at us in the first 20 mins. After that, I think we can take the game to them.

It’s an amazing stadium. My second time there, and the fans are all friendly. Thanks to Pieter who I met in the stand and was thoroughly enjoyable company. It was great seeing another fan bite their fingernails.

He shared a great story about Veltman shithousery. A classic pretending to kick the ball off for an injured player but then taking it on to have a crack at goal. I said we loved him. Pieter was sad to see him go but said that for some reason he had lost the fans towards the end. Oh well, our gain.

No queues for trains of food and beer. That said it’s bloody annoying when people keep getting up and down to get a beer.

Cracking evening watching a game in a great stadium. It’s got a bloody multistory car park in it for gods sake!

1DC85996-4AC1-4188-880E-25C41E6EADD7.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lovely stuff. I'll be there, but without a match ticket, but it seems I will be far from alone.

Three points would be tremendous :thumbsup:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ps there are some VERY stoned Ajax fans. Young ‘uns who are trying the Dams smoking products for the first time - take care.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Ps there are some VERY stoned Ajax fans. Young ‘uns who are trying the Dams smoking products for the first time - take care.
I cannot think of a safer drug to be on than cannabis. 98% of them should be so chilled out and that they won't have the energy to have trouble on their minds. The active ingredient of THC is getting stronger and stronger though it seems which can lead to paranoia but nothing on the scale of the devil's dandruff that is cocaine.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I’ve been on a reccy.

Went to see Ajax play tonight and looking for a new manager bounce.

They got one.

But, they are vulnerable.

They were certainly a shadow of the team that played us last week, and to be honest, they couldn’t be worse.

In some ways, they are playing De Zerbi ball. Unafraid to play the ball out from the back and out to the wide men. It’s very attractive, and if the new manager Schip can keep the confidence high then they’ll play well. But their defence is leaky and looks weak when the ball is played into the box. They have a new 17 year old central defender who looks class but is green, and it feels like a fresh pairing.

They also suffer from trying to walk the ball into the net and seem to be averse to attempting to skin the left and right backs, so the ball keeps either getting crossed in or passed back. In some ways, they reminded me of Potterball - all very attractive but no end product.

All I’ll say is that they felt a very different side. They felt like a side who had been told to go and enjoy themselves. Ok, they were playing a terrible team at the wrong end of the table, but they looked fresh. We’ll need to be aware that they’ll come at us in the first 20 mins. After that, I think we can take the game to them.

It’s an amazing stadium. My second time there, and the fans are all friendly. Thanks to Pieter who I met in the stand and was thoroughly enjoyable company. It was great seeing another fan bite their fingernails.

He shared a great story about Veltman shithousery. A classic pretending to kick the ball off for an injured player but then taking it on to have a crack at goal. I said we loved him. Pieter was sad to see him go but said that for some reason he had lost the fans towards the end. Oh well, our gain.

No queues for trains of food and beer. That said it’s bloody annoying when people keep getting up and down to get a beer.

Cracking evening watching a game in a great stadium. It’s got a bloody multistory car park in it for gods sake!

View attachment 169091
2 things

1. This is Ajax they invented beautiful , total football. Of course they play it out from the back and are pretty to watch! They don't play like us. We play like them

2. They were playing a pub side tonight. No excuses for us we need to win next Thursday

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Did a tour of the Ajax stadium last year. The guide was great and said that with Veltman the fans felt like there was a big mistake every game in his last season with them. I told the guide Veltman was very much liked at the Albion and his shithousery was appreciated.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Lost 3-2 tonight against USV Hercules in the cup. Incredible. I help run the cricket side.

Standard is like if Dorking beat Chelsea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here