Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] AEK in Ibiza (does it rhyme with pike, bike etc?)

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
What’s the pronunciation here for AEK/Aek Athens? (Google didn’t really clear it up)

In my 55 years I really should know.

From when I was a kid I always used to call them A-E-K and if that’s not correct why is it usually always written in capitals?

Anyhoo, is it “ike” as in bike, “ache” like belly ache or something totally different? help me out here.

PS don’t get me started on “Inter Milan”!!
Grrrrrr!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And to think some posters have accused me of having too much time on my hands :lol:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If we're getting really pedantic, it's Athlitiki Enosis Konstantinoupoleos, meaning Athletic Union of Constantinople.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Oh don’t worry about that, the more pedantic the better, this is North Stand Chat

Hang on a minute, Constantinople?
AEK were formed after the end of the Greco-Turkish War. Over a million fled Constantinople and relocated to the Athens region including the club's founders who set AEK up as a sports club for the new settlers in the city.

Interesting history.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
If we're getting really pedantic, it's Athlitiki Enosis Konstantinoupoleos, meaning Athletic Union of Constantinople.

"Give us a A"

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If it helps, for AEK Larnaca they say it so it rhymes with Bike. (Athlitiki Enosis Kition)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here