Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Advice/recommendations for pre paid $ debit cards

Youngest Potting is off to the USA to work in a summer camp near Boston for a couple of months. I know that she can use her uk debit card whilst there and that charges will be occurred.

Thinking that as back up she could have a $ pre paid debit card as an alternative and welcome advice/experiences about this and the trip in general. She has arranged things via an agency and is sorted for insurance whilst there.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Get a sterling one that gives you a non rip off exchange rate then you/she can top up from a Sterling account. I’d go for Monzo but I believe there is a limit on cash withdrawals but for paying by card is perfect imo

Most debit cards will shaft you on the exchange rate.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I've always used Revolut for travel and never had a problem. There may be better available now but I don't know - worth a look though.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I use Revolut whenever I travel. The only issue I’ve ever had is at petrol stations, as it won’t pre-authorise.
Otherwise, you can use it like any bank account with a debit card and it does the exchange at the current rate. Alternatively, you can store sums in different currencies if you think the exchange rate is likely to go against you.

NorfolkGull

Oct 2, 2021

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
If you have time to do it, open a Virgin Money current account. The debit card is free to use abroad, no fees or commission.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I've always used Revolut for travel and never had a problem. There may be better available now but I don't know - worth a look though.

Another happy Revolut user. I've used it in Japan, India, USA, Canada, Costa Rica and the rest of Europe without any problems.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I have a Starling account- the debit card is fee free to use abroad and foreign payments are calculated using the bank exchange rate.

I don’t use this as my current account - I just transfer money into it when needed abroad.

Martin has more advice here- Revolut is recommended for pre-pay

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money/

Jul 7, 2003
I have had a Caxton card for years for travel to the US and other countries.

Never had any issues with it and if you wanted and generally better rates of exchange than other places

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here