Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Advice re Getting Paid for Gigs

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As an organist, I get paid between £40 and £200 per 'gig'... although nowadays it is mostly family weddings & funerals.
Not bad. When I was a choir boy, I used to get paid half a crown per wedding. Three weddings on a Saturday and I could splash 6/8 on a single and still have change for chips on the way home. I realise much of this post will mean nothing to the lad doing the gig.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I can assure you that it's true.

Gigs and festivals don't work the same as a frigging shop.

Venues/promoters pay up to 4% of the ticket receipts to PRS.

At Glastonbury, that would be £1.8m - although they might have a negotiated rate.

Musicians and DJs are encouraged to fill in PRS playlists (now done on the website).

If your work is played and reported, you get a cut.
Intriguing. Didn't realise this. Think I was half right. Can I write a song and then appear at Glasso and sing it for 2 hours?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I've been performing a Limahl tribute act since 2009, and can command up to £60 a night.

I don't do christenings though.
That's a long time to be doing it. It must feel likes its a never ending story.

(This will end my limahl/kajagoogoo puns as I can't remember any other son . . . )

Lucky you are not too shy to get up on stage.

(... Definately can't think of any more!)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
When I was in my early twenties I had a residency DJ slot which I got paid for in part booze and cash. I did club sets when offered and loved every minute. If I got a few quid then great I played because I loved the buzz of it it and would have happily done it all for free and did on many occasion.
Surely this young man should just want to play his drums because he loves playing. Girls booze drugs 😜 let him experience it all whilst he can and stop worrying about a few quid.
Opportunity’s do come around if you are any good I got approached by a KISS fm promoter never did anything about it as I was happy doing my electrical work as a career I did sometimes wonder what if.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's a long time to be doing it. It must feel likes it’s a never ending story.
It Beggs the question, how much longer will he do it for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here