Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Accident – advice needed please

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
So, I was driving back into Brighton after walking my dogs on Ditchling Beacon this morning. Wasn't going much more than 40mph. A black labrador ran out of the woods straight in front of me and I hit it. The cars behind me saw it happen and can back me up. The owner of the poor dog appeared soon after and was obviously distraught, as were we, as I think it was going to die. He picked it up and put it in his car and drove off, presumably to an emergency vets.

When we pulled ourselves together we drove home only to find pretty bad damage to the front of our car (we didn't check at the time as it was a horrible, horrible moment). Didn't get the owner's name but we was driving a grey BMW estate with an Albion sticker in the rear window (maybe he's on here and if you are I do hope your dog made it through).

What do I do about the damage to the car now? Do I just have to suck it up? Or claim on the insurance, something I've never done in 30 years of driving?
Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 12.45.18.png

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Might be different with domestic animals, but I did considerable damage to the front of my car on a badger and went through insurance

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Damage from the dog ? Claim off your insurance.

Otherwise you’d need to take legal action against the owner of the dog

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you can find the owner, you can claim from their household insurance (public liability). Inform the police.
If you can’t, then claim from your motor insurance. Hopefully you have protected No Claims, included.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Dogs should be on leads in public places. One for incidents like this and for the risk of dog’s attacking other people’s dogs.
I own a dog.
Agree dogs should be on leads when walking on pavements or maybe a footpath next to a road. I walk mine in the countryside but on public footpaths, she likes to run and isn’t near a road.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
If you can find the owner, you can claim from their household insurance (public liability). Inform the police.
If you can’t, then claim from your motor insurance. Hopefully you have protected No Claims, included
Yes, got protected No Claims. Just been on to the insurers. Going to cost me £310 excess. Really don't want to be tracking down the dog's owner. Poor bloke.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
How much would it cost not to go via the insurers, as if you claim your premium will probably go up next time even further than otherwise.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Yes, got protected No Claims. Just been on to the insurers. Going to cost me £310 excess. Really don't want to be tracking down the dog's owner. Poor bloke.
Your no ncd % won’t be affected but your premium will still increase next year

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
How much would it cost not to go via the insurers, as if you claim your premium will probably go up next time even further than otherwise.
Too late now, they know and will adjust premiums at the next renewal even if the claim does not proceed.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Dog owners likely have insurance, that would cover it. But yes, imagine you don't want to pursue it. Horrible situation all round

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Legally, you need to report it to the police if you haven't exchanged details with the owner.

I think you can do it online these days.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
If you're well off and aren't worried about the cost to fix your car or the loss of your no claims or the increase in next year's premium then sort it yourself.
If you're not well off and can't afford the above then sorry, it's a tough call but there's no place for sentimentality. If it's going to cause you and your family financial problems then you should claim on the dog owner's insurance. If he has any.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I has a similar incident, but it was a human rather than a dog. 100% his fault and lots of witnesses (it was at the lights at the end of Village Way after we’d lost to Villa in the cup). Long story short, insurance company paid up but I had to cover my excess - police said I could pursue the yoof that ended up on my wing/bonnet/windscreen - 3,000 to repair in total - but I decided not to. Just make 100% sure they record it as a ‘no fault claim’ otherwise you’ll find future quotes and premiums are much higher (mine didn’t initially and it was a right ballache getting it changed).

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Legally, you need to report it to the police if you haven't exchanged details with the owner.

I think you can do it online these days.
Many years ago I had an accident (car on my inside thought he could turn right across my path without me hitting him. He couldn't). No damage to my BT van but a big gouge down the side of his BMW. He stopped but didn't want to swap details, shouted "I've not got time.", got back in the car and drove off.
I reported it to the police and got a reference.
A few days later I got a call from a police officer at John Street to tell me the bloke had been in and tried to report me for hitting him and driving off. I was told that if I hadn't let them know, I could have been done for failing to report.

This dog owner could conceivably do the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here