Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A Saudi Arabian side in The Champions League.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
One or two posts have mentioned this prospect will happen,scoff would probably be the reply from the MSM but as football as we know was only developed by SkyTV in 1992 since then game has changed dramatically. We know that S/A are keen to host the 2034 (?) W/cup and with sports washing the latest show in town i give it five years before there will be some form of Saudi side in The Champions League.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
depends how corrupt UEFA want to appear to be (we know they are, just usually try keeping a pretense). cant really see Saudis allowed in on their own, would be wider middle east inclusion. and on the otherside, would Saudi teams have to comply with FFP, do they want that hassle?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nah .... CL is for UEFA based teams - I don't believe they're going to do a Eurovision type thing. China invested heavily in players from Europe a few years ago and they didn't get to join the CL.

Last edited:

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I can't remember where I saw it, but if they wanted to play in the European Champions League, then they'd have to join UEFA? Not just clubs sides, but the National side as well, and they'd have to qualify through European qualification and that would make it so much harder. Might be talking utter crap, been up since 4.30am 😂

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The only thing that adds up to me is that there are a lot of people making fortunes out of people who can’t afford it. The greed in football has become obscene. Just taking the Cac example, how can a player who could have a career threatening injury tomorrow be worth re rebuilding cost of a small town?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If that happened, I would seriously struggle to contain my indifference.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This will definitely happen. It’s the reason they are bringing in these players and will create massive interest, legitimacy and tourism in Saudi. The football authorities will not stop it because of the money. Football fans will not stop it if it benefits their clubs…for the same reason. Thankfully I don’t watch it so it won’t affect me in the slightest.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One would have thought 'no'. It's not like Australia in the Eurovision Song Contest where basically the broadcasters can do whatever they like; the Champions' League is a UEFA competition so the Saudi national association (and thus the clubs) would have to leave the UAFN and join UEFA - where as has been pointed out they will have to join Israel who are also members of UEFA.

Even if it was mooted I would guess FIFA wouldn't like it as they already think UEFA is far too big for its boots, and would lobby against it, and maybe even threaten UEFA with sanctions. As someone else said I think its far more likely that the Saudi clubs will focus on the FIFA World Club championship where they will be received with open arms.

Of course UEFA might change their rules and invite them in as 'guests'. Who knows how low they'll stoop in the search for more cash?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't think this is a very likely outcome. What is more likely is a "World Super League" (in place of the original European version) including the top European teams, the Saudi ones, probably a few of the South American giants to "grow the game", maybe a few of the US ones, some of the Chinese teams and so on.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
depends how corrupt UEFA want to appear to be (we know they are, just usually try keeping a pretense). cant really see Saudis allowed in on their own, would be wider middle east inclusion. and on the otherside, would Saudi teams have to comply with FFP, do they want that hassle?
I suppose if Australia are allowed into the Eurovisionsong contest, then why not let the sand dwellers in and corrupt the CL.
Next it'll be Scottish clubs in the PL :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here