Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A new type of 'football' commentary.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Wouldn't hurt the Broadcasters to do what they did with Fake Crowd noise, have the option to have it or not, with Commentary styles, one where it is a Johnny Cantor/Warren Aspinall radio type where the players names, quality of the pass etc is mentioned, and another where the two guys make puns, come up with inane stats, mention how big Dan Burn is for a left back, mention that Ben White was at Leeds last season, and generally talk bollocks and give you the hump.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It works if you view on YouTube.

It's awful. Aimed an imbeciles who either aren't really interested in the sport, or are too thick to have their own opinion on what's going on.

I'm out.
This. It's absolute gash.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was watching The NFL show last week.
2 blokes bouncing off each other about each team and each game.
I could not switch it off.
Compelling.
Extremely funny.
Highly knowledgeable.
Informative.
Great fun.
The first time I have ever watched anything NFL from start to finish.
I would love to see Lineker and 'the pundits' replaced by this style.
At least The EFL programme is sort of in that style but still nowhere near the brilliant NFL.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I think that did happen but this is a big step up from the average Joe on the terraces.

I don't think there's the space in football to do it justice.
They'd need a crystal ball to know which game was last on MOTD.

Obviously it just wouldn't have worked for our game last week, even with a no commentating remit there just wouldnt have been much free air

But, as said in #1, I believe is proving quite a success over there which, like it or not, someone's going to take a run at it in the near future, over here.

We'll probably get Big Sam and 'Arry.
And
Only Connect will get its biggest ever rating. :lol:

Fan Zone - that was it. Think it was a ‘red button’ option on Prem games years back. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ExHqC_BR6ek

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iVtABHXcJMU

[emoji1787][emoji108]

Last edited:

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
If it was up to me, I would revert to the old school ways - one commentator saying little other than the player names and brief descriptions of major events, without cliches.

Commentary teams giving their opinions on stuff just isn't needed. It's just annoying when they make little unfunny jokes, overusing cliches or just start going off on tangents

This is absolutely bang on the money.

I was watching one of those Big Match replays the other day with Brian Moore’s gentle soundtrack over the top. It was lovely and just felt like comfy background sounds.

Sadly, modern-day commentators have now elevated themselves to the great sages of their sport. I detest the trend for boorish pseud-intellectual, narcissistic drivel. If you don’t know what I’m talking about then try Sam Matterface for starters.

If you can’t listen to Wasisface then try playing a slightly out of tune radio at an annoying volume while you watch a game of footy on screen. Without any gaps in sound. You’ll get the idea.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If you're watching a game on the telly do you really need a commentator to tell what you are watching? For example if you can see that Ronaldo is doing 20 step overs on the right wing are you at a loss if the audio doesn't tell you that? There is a different style to radio commentary for plainly obvious reasons.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is absolutely bang on the money.

I was watching one of those Big Match replays the other day with Brian Moore’s gentle soundtrack over the top. It was lovely and just felt like comfy background sounds.

Sadly, modern-day commentators have now elevated themselves to the great sages of their sport. I detest the trend for boorish pseud-intellectual, narcissistic drivel. If you don’t know what I’m talking about then try Sam Matterface for starters.

If you can’t listen to Wasisface then try playing a slightly out of tune radio at an annoying volume while you watch a game of footy on screen. Without any gaps in sound. You’ll get the idea.
But everyone loves a scripted pun shoe horned into a situation in which it doesn't quite fit.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
If watching at home I often mute the commentary as really don't need to hear someone saying the names of the players I can see and describing what the players are doing while I watch them do it.

Same here, I'll often watch football with the sound off rather than have to listen to commentary. For some reason it really annoys my other half (who isn't even watching!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here