• Alan Partridge: Why, when, where, how and whom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This Time

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • From The Oasthouse (podcast)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Nomad (book)

• I Partridge; We Need To Talk About Alan (book)

• Stratagem (stage show)

• Alan Partridge and Less Successful Characters (stage show)

• The Man Who Thinks He’s It (stage show)

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think that’s the lot?

Anyway, after recently watching the painfully unfunny stage show Stratagem I got to thinking, has Alan had his day? I didn’t laugh once during the entire show.

I did not like This Time.

I did enjoy From the Oasthouse.

Mid Morning Matters was sublime but “I’m Alan Partridge” was as close to comedy perfection as I’ve ever seen. And certainly Alan at his best.

But what about you? What do you think?
That’s today’s phone in.

NB; It’s not a phone in. Please don’t attempt to call. Instead make your opinion known, whether it be incorrect or not, on the poll at the top of the page.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The Day Today will always be the best for me as it's when I first saw him. This Time was surprisingly brilliant as the gag is quite old nowadays. This is my favourite clip, genius timing:

Seen him twice live, both crushingly disappointing, back at The Dome in the early days and the last show Stratagem (thankfully the ticket was only a fiver. It was one of those shows where i sat thinking how the feck are people laughing at this and what's wrong with me for not getting it? I beat you though, I did laugh once, at the bit when he was a chair and then brought the dance troupe on or something).

Coogan pulled off Stan Laurel (ahem) and I'm really interested how well he does Jimmy, although that's pushed back to 2024 now.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
At time ‘This Time’ was classic AP, just think he might have jumped the shark with the stupid Princess Anne plot line and then the Network parody.

Still enjoy watching I’m Alan Partridge Series One, Coogan at his finest.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
The fact three AP series could in my view easily make the top 10 of ‘greatest ever comedy TV series’ says it all really.

But here’s my vote:

1 I’m Alan Partridge. The consistently most brilliant and original UK comedy ever made. Still bloody hilarious - and let’s face it, who could say that about Harry Enfield or Monty Python?!?

2. Scissored Isle. A real surprise at the time. Achingly surreal and funny. Again, still awesome.

3. MMM. Has some of my favourites ever AP scenes.

Ever met a child the size of an ox?

‘People have always asked me, why do you hate Noel Edmonds? It makes me laugh. Ha! I don't hate Edmonds. I don't give a shit about Edmonds. I hate the things he does, sure. I hate the way he behaves. I hate his personality and his appearance. But hate Edmonds himself? No, sir. Wouldn't give him the satisfaction.’

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
MMM had some of Alan’s best material. Him confusing The Wild Swan at the book club but not flagging it up. Just having a copy of The Wild Geese in the corner of the shot.

Trying to book to see Inception on the phone.

His fury at the tax man prank.

“Please though” in the background as he’s being dumped over the phone.

“if you’re going to let your under sevens phone please do make sure they are at least media savvy”

Just too many more moments to mention. Rewatching both series at the moment.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not sure in my head he ever had it, thought he was unfunny always.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not sure in my head he ever had it, thought he was unfunny always.
DE1A6639-FB53-48DB-83C6-114F8E644359.jpeg

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Early Coogan - the day today was the peak for me… indeed I loved most of the early Partridge from that period and the early solo stuff, and the film (Alpha) recalled his best work… but it’s telling i simply haven’t bothered with any of the later stuff - arguably the character has been played out for too long, but it was a brilliant parody in the early days.

In all honesty I preferred his other chracters and his stellar Dirty Den parody - the bureau.

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I’m Alan Partridge was simply amazing and the only thing that has come close was mid morning matters which is also brilliant

Scissored isle has its moments but this time and the more recent outings are more like a parody of Alan partridge and his mannerisms etc are too obvious and overplayed.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
MMM had some of Alan’s best material. Him confusing The Wild Swan at the book club but not flagging it up. Just having a copy of The Wild Geese in the corner of the shot.

Trying to book to see Inception on the phone.

His fury at the tax man prank.

“Please though” in the background as he’s being dumped over the phone.

“if you’re going to let your under sevens phone please do make sure they are at least media savvy”

Just too many more moments to mention. Rewatching both series at the moment.
There was an amazing MMM app called ‘radio Alan’ that played clips from MMM interspersed with music from your iTunes. Pretty sure it was developed in Brighton and I had on almost every day. Sadly was never developed to work with future versions of iTunes but miss it as was a brilliant way to consume partridge daily. If only they could bring it back!!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There was an amazing MMM app called ‘radio Alan’ that played clips from MMM interspersed with music from your iTunes. Pretty sure it was developed in Brighton and I had on almost every day. Sadly was never developed to work with future versions of iTunes but miss it as was a brilliant way to consume partridge daily. If only they could bring it back!!!
That sounds brilliant.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I have to admit the first time I wandered onto The Day Today , having it on in the background one evening, it took me a while to recognise it was a parody and i fecking loved it thereafter.

edit - I love it when you just stumble across great tv. I hadn't read about and no one had told me about Fleabag and I just stumbled across it one evening and I was What The f*** is this brilliance. So lucky when that happens. Series One of Fleabag is just superb (not so much series 2 for me).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here