Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 minutes FFS*

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Where the hell did the ref get that from?

*Source BBC website

Full time was 8 minutes allowing for the pointless kick-off. The goal was scored at 5 min 45 seconds. Not sure where that 45 secs came from. No injuries/subs in added time, should have blown at 5 mins.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Full time was 8 minutes allowing for the pointless kick-off. The goal was scored at 5 min 45 seconds. Not sure where that 45 secs came from. No injuries/subs in added time, should have blown at 5 mins.

Taking into account any free-kicks, and time-wasting?

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Taking into account any free-kicks, and time-wasting?
Free kicks? How long do they add for them then? Nothing?
Time-wasting? Really, are you suggesting that in the 300 seconds of injury time that 45 seconds or 15% of that time was taken by time wasting. Even if I was a die-hard Bolton fan I could not claim that.

Are you mates with the ref?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The goal was scored at 5 min 45 seconds. Not sure where that 45 secs came from. No injuries/subs in added time, should have blown at 5 mins.

It's said every week that we concede a late goal, it's a MINIMUM time that is given.

D

Deleted member 18477

To be fair the 2nd half had a lot of stoppages. I would have given 6 mins additional time.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Free kicks? How long do they add for them then? Nothing?
Time-wasting? Really, are you suggesting that in the 300 seconds of injury time that 45 seconds or 15% of that time was taken by time wasting. Even if I was a die-hard Bolton fan I could not claim that.

Are you mates with the ref?

No but i'm not a fickle fool that doesn't understand the concept of 'minimum of' when it comes to injury time.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
No but i'm not a fickle fool that doesn't understand the concept of 'minimum of' when it comes to injury time.

You are clearly a fool. When they say a minimum of 5 minutes that means that up until full time that 5 minutes has been added. Of course additional extra time can be added during extra-time, but that does not mean that MORE has to be added.

You clearly understand the word minimum, unfortunately you seem to equate understanding a basic idea. with having achieved a higher plane, from which you can pour scorn upon people who have bothered to consider more than the meaning of one word.

Never mind, still night school!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
You are clearly a fool. When they say a minimum of 5 minutes that means that up until full time that 5 minutes has been added. Of course additional extra time can be added during extra-time, but that does not mean that MORE has to be added.
That doesn't make much sense.

Minimum
1. the least possible amount, degree, or quantity
2. the least amount recorded, allowed, or reached
3. (modifier) being the least possible, recorded, allowed, etc. minimum age

Least being the operative word. The ref is the sole timekeeper, it's up to him when time has ended.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I thought five mins was generous in the first place. Sickening. Well done ref.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
That doesn't make much sense.

Minimum
1. the least possible amount, degree, or quantity
2. the least amount recorded, allowed, or reached
3. (modifier) being the least possible, recorded, allowed, etc. minimum age

Least being the operative word. The ref is the sole timekeeper, it's up to him when time has ended.

Commentators say "the ref has added a minimum of "5" mins etc

What has actually happened is the ref has added 5 mins for that half. It is technically a minimum as more time can be added in the extra time period itself.

So yes your definition of minimum is correct, and provided that there is no reason to add time in the extra time then that minimum would also be the total.

Though of course the maximum is a "little bit longer" lol

I am really not sure why this is contentious. Sure people can argue as to how much time has been wasted, but the process is straightforward. 30 secs for substitutions, generally 30 secs for goal celebrations, but can be none or more, plus time for injuries and time wasting.

That gets the minimum at the end of a half. The whole process starts again for extra time.

Today there was 5 mins of extra time. During the first 5.45 there were no goals or injuries, so there was no way 45 secs should have been added. However once he had allowed the time for them to score, then it would have been normal to add 30 secs for their goal celebrations, but the ref added none. So inconsistent timekeeping.

Last edited:

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Commentators say "the ref has added a minimum of "5" mins etc

What has actually happened is the ref has added 5 mins for that half. It is technically a minimum as more time can be added in the extra time period itself.

So yes your definition of minimum is correct, and provided that there is no reason to add time in the extra time then that minimum would also be the total.

Though of course the maximum is a "little bit longer" lol

Sorry mate, but you are totally wrong. From the FIFA website "The announcement of the additional time does not indicate the exact amount
of time left in the match." What makes you think that referees can only add on whole minutes of added time up to the 90 minute mark?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

You clearly understand the word minimum, unfortunately you seem to equate understanding a basic idea. with having achieved a higher plane, from which you can pour scorn upon people who have bothered to consider more than the meaning of one word.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12_en.pdf

Page 28. I'll book the place at night school in your name.

Broady

Apr 17, 2011
When the 4th official put up the 5min the clock on the TV said 16.48 and they scored in 16.53 so I do not blame the ref.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia

I think somebody owes somebody else an apology, don't you?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
If the ref is the soul timekeeper and a game of football lasts 90 minutes then as soon as 90 minutes is reached on the referee's watch then the game is over. Right? So until the ref blows up the game has not reached 90 minutes yet. So how can a goal be scored in the 96th minute, or after 90 minutes? Surely by definition the game hasn't reached the 90th minute yet, because as soon as it does the ref is going to blow up. So as the ref blew up as soon as we kicked off after Bolton scored, that was when the 90th minute was reached?

I'm a bit confused.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here