Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 6 % chance of finishing in top 4

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Pretty much where we were at the end of January in 1982 - hoping for better this time round!

Maybe a minority position, but I sort of hope we don't make the CL this season. I'll be very disappointed if we miss out on Europe like we did in '82, but since it would be our first foray into Europe, I think it would be better to cut our teeth in the Europa League - or even the Conference. Being cometitive in one of those - or even winning it - would be a splendid platform to build on (doesn't winning the Europa give you a place in the CL the following season?)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
If we win our games in hand on Tottenham I'd give us a shout IF we can grab some points against our rivals in the top 6.

Personally I still think a top 6 finish will be very, tough.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Pretty much where we were at the end of January in 1982 - hoping for better this time round!

Maybe a minority position, but I sort of hope we don't make the CL this season. I'll be very disappointed if we miss out on Europe like we did in '82, but since it would be our first foray into Europe, I think it would be better to cut our teeth in the Europa League - or even the Conference. Being cometitive in one of those - or even winning it - would be a splendid platform to build on (doesn't winning the Europa give you a place in the CL the following season?)
Europa League does very little in terms of keeping the best players and being able to bring in very good ones. Champions League is an entirely different ball park.
Sure, Brighton would be one of the favorites to win the Europa League and get into CL that way. But if its possible to get it in another way, its massive. Playing in the Champions League provides the sort of status and finances that it becomes not entirely f***ing mad to dream about a PL title one day.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
There's an awful lot of games left. 6% seems about right.

If its going to happen, results against the other top teams needs to improve. Crushing West Ham, Southampton, Everton etc. takes you quite far but if top 4 is going to be the case the boys need to start getting more points against top 10 opposition.
Man U 1 - 2 Brighton
Liverpool 3 - 3 Brighton
Brighton 4 - 1 Chelsea
Brighton 3 - 0 Liverpool

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
remembering we still have in the remaining fixtures:

United (Home)
City (Home)
Spurs (Away)
Chelsea (Away)
Newcastle (Away)
Arsenal (Away)

Results in these games will help to shape our final league position
That's 18 easy points, how many more do we need?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Man U 1 - 2 Brighton
Liverpool 3 - 3 Brighton
Brighton 4 - 1 Chelsea
Brighton 3 - 0 Liverpool
Yes, good stuff.

But also:
Arsenal - loss
Fulham - 2x loss
Tottenham - loss
Manchester City - loss
Brentford - loss
Newcastle - draw

And loss against the 11th placed team (Villa) and draw against the 12th place team (Palace)

That leaves us with a 3W, 3D, 7L (if I'm counting correctly) record against the top twelve teams. Not the worst numbers in the world but needs to be improved to finish top 4.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
6% chance of finishing in the top four seems a remote possibility BUT in context, in ~ 110+ years of our history we had ZERO chance of a top 4 finish in the top division.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Brentford longer odds, with 4 points and a game in hand over Chelsea. a reminder that betting odds are not rational reflection of probability.
Nothing of the sort. Would you like an even money bet that Brentford finish above Chelsea?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Seems weird doesn't it. I'm sure I don't remember this level of anticipation and excitement then.
Maybe our football was less exciting.....

1678489961649.png

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
All this defeatist talk! Are we sure we can't win the league this season? Well, are we?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Maybe a minority position, but I sort of hope we don't make thwe CL this season. I'll be very disappointed if we miss out on Europe liike we did in '82, but since it would be our first foray, I think it would be better to cut our teeth in the Europa League - or even the Conference. Being cometitive in one of those - or even winning it - would be a splendid platform to build on (doesn't winning the Europa give you a place in the CL the following season?)
Seems weird doesn't it. I'm sure I don't remember this level of anticipation and excitement then.
Maybe our football was less exciting.....

View attachment 158165
Sadly, that was exactly it. Some fans repeatedly demanded the sacking of Mike Bailey for his negative and boring football. They got their way - the excitingb and dynamic entity that was Jimmy Melia was brought in to replace him. That went well.............

I wonder when the phrase, "be careful what you wish for" was first used?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here