Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 4-4-2 with no fullbacks

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
having seen us in the flesh under DeZerbi for first time at Wolves it did seem much like we are learning to play 4-4-2 with what at times feels like no full backs

not criticizing as this gives opposition no clue as to how to play against us

first half Pervis was often moving forward as if he "knew" where ball was going next - couple of times saw Wolves players move back and forth genuinely unsure whether to track back and man mark Pervis or try and attack the space he left - at times this will cost us as it did with Wolves first goal

but far more times suspect we will get rewarded for the overloads - second half Gross spent more time in midfield and up front, yet our defensive line never really suffered - doubt anyone other than Gross could pull this off re knowing when to move where

after what often used to feel like 28 passes to the left, 9 backwards and 27 to the right and two missed shots in last couple of seasons the new style is great to watch

plus a manager that storms up and down the touchline is a pleasant change for the better too .. plus back to inverted wingers of promotion season

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
first half Pervis was often moving forward as if he "knew" where ball was going next - couple of times saw Wolves players move back and forth genuinely unsure whether to track back and man mark Pervis or try and attack the space he left - at times this will cost us as it did with Wolves first goal

but far more times suspect we will get rewarded for the overloads - second half Gross spent more time in midfield and up front, yet our defensive line never really suffered - doubt anyone other than Gross could pull this off re knowing when to move where
If the fullbacks are going to go forward, we'll generally need someone to be ready to take their place. The overloads we gain will usually lead to us delivering the ball into an overloaded box, but if we lose possession and are short at the back, the counter attack will be more dangerous.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If the fullbacks are going to go forward, we'll generally need someone to be ready to take their place. The overloads we gain will usually lead to us delivering the ball into an overloaded box, but if we lose possession and are short at the back, the counter attack will be more dangerous.
I noticed that Caicedo and Mac Allister didn’t get forward much. I think they were covering the awol full backs. This is a great tactic but will get found out quite soon in the EPL.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I noticed that Caicedo and Mac Allister didn’t get forward much. I think they were covering the awol full backs.
They do, but then their positions need filling too, depending on the positions of the opposition.

This is a great tactic but will get found out quite soon in the EPL.
They know we do it, but how effectively they can counter depends on several things, such as how fluid our system is (ie, whether the player replacing say Gross is always Alexis, or if it's just whomever is in the right position, and how seamlessly other players fill the gaps), exactly where we lose the ball (sometimes you're going to get a bit unlucky with where you lose it etc). Teams like Man City obviously overload the opponents a lot, and having pace in the team helps recover when you lose the ball. I think our general lack of pace is our biggest concern.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Lamptey & Estupinan could both be vital in performing this role. Full backs who can join in attacking moves but also have the recovery to deal will a loss of possession. Very similar to Man City's back 4

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I noticed that Caicedo and Mac Allister didn’t get forward much. I think they were covering the awol full backs. This is a great tactic but will get found out quite soon in the EPL.
But it's not always those two, I noticed March and Mitoma behind their full backs at times as well (Mitoma unfortunately when Vulvas scored their first). I think it's this unpredictability that helps make it work although it is higher risk/higher reward (y)

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It's not a 4-4-2 and it is very unlikely to ever be under RDZ. Though I agree with the OP on the majority of the rest - exciting times ahead!

We played a fluid 4-2-3-1 against Wolves, though at times it felt very much like a 4-2-4. I thought our defensive covering was magnificent, so good in fact it was almost unnoticeable, especially in the second half. If a "full back" goes forward, another player drops in. Caicedo is such a good player that he can basically cover two positions at once when we're in possession. Couple of moments on Saturday where it was just flawless. Mac Allister is also very good at this.

As the OP implies, going from 5 at the back to 4 but retaining the exciting full backs is a really simple but really attacking tweak to our style, especially as that means we not only keep 2 attacking wingbacks in our starting line-up, but that they have 2 attacking wingers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here