Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 3g pitches.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm not squeamish about it.

The important thing is that lower league clubs survive. The tech has come a long way since the days of Luton and Oldham playing on plastic.

You'd like to think the Buxton pitch is very well watered

Didn't QPR have an artificial pitch way back ???

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Didn't QPR have an artificial pitch way back ???

Yes they did

Capture.JPG

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
For a club like Eastbourne Borough (whose pitch is essentially on marshland) plastic is a brilliant option. The team used to face a big fixture backlog at the end of each season because so mnay winter games were called off due to waterlogging.

Now games can almost always go ahead on schedule and as others have pointed out, the pitch is a brilliant revenue earner in its own right.

I'd be interested to see how the club's home results have gone since the pitch was installed. Has it favoured Borough more than the old swampy one did? And regardless of results, do opposing teams claim that they're at any sort of disadvantage because they're less familiar with a plastic surface than the Borough lads?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
If there's anything more excruciating than having a shower after inadvertently burning your leg on a 3G pitch and not quite realising you've done it, then I don't want to know what it is.

And you women can sod off with your childbirth anecdotes, pah... :glare:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
3G pitches look great when they are first installed then you turn up to use it and it has a regular football pitch marked out in white lines, two 7 a-side pitches running width ways in yellow lines and then a hockey pitch over the top of all of this in blue :mad:

Jul 7, 2003
You didn't want to be a keeper on that ........

I play regularly as a keeper on the hockey pitch in Lewes which is not much more advanced than those old 80's carpets.

The only difference is that these days, you have Kevlar weaved into the tracksuit bottom knee and side padding which gives you much more protection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here