Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] £33 million for a championship striker, anyone?

White Fan man

Oct 25, 2020
I totally agree. I'm not saying I prefer their system to ours. Simply, that actually it can be brave to spend to money. And actually we do do it- we just do it with potential (currently linked to Velasco who will cost at least 10 million, for instance).

The problem for Villa is to get higher than eighth you need quality at both ends of the pitch. I personally think Martinez was their best and most inspired signing. However I don' t rate what is in front of him apart from Konza

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I totally agree. I'm not saying I prefer their system to ours. Simply, that actually it can be brave to spend to money. And actually we do do it- we just do it with potential (currently linked to Velasco who will cost at least 10 million, for instance).

Yeah it is brave, especially at the moment in the current climate. I think I'm probably still just grumbling a bit at their attitude when they were in the championship, as they were a whisker away from being in Sheffield Wednesdays current position. But I do know what you mean and even though I like the Albion's approach, I can't deny it would be nice to make a marquee signing. There's no doubt that its an exciting time when it happens.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The problem for Villa is to get higher than eighth you need quality at both ends of the pitch. I personally think Martinez was their best and most inspired signing. However I don' t rate what is in front of him apart from Konza

You say that, but some were calling for their entire back 4 to be in the England squad. And Mings will probably start on Sunday, so they're not that far off.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Depends if he wants to play in the Prem or just join a Prem club. More chance of a game with us if he's good enough and it's bloody hard to come from South America at 19. Again more likely with us.

We aren’t meeting their valuation which seems to be a stumbling block. That seems more of an issue at the moment.

Must admit, I thought we had pretty much met their asking price. Can't believe it would take much to sweeten the deal. We have a good relationship with Independiente and know how to work with multiple South American owners. Even The Argus has an article on this which suggests we might be close to a deal. We also have Alexis and Moises and a world class Academy to encourage him to start his Premier League career with Albion. I'm optimistic on this one.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I guess it depends on how you define level above. Their model is very clearly throw money at the project. Ours isn't.

As Potter explained recently our approach is be one of the 5% who do things differently. We have a goal in mind, a plan on how to achieve that and a team including Potter, Ashworth, Baber and Bloom who are on the same page about how to do it. No we're not buying players for 33 million a pop. We are buying young players and developing them, and currently have the likes of Lamptey, White, Bissouma, who are all probably at peak market value of about 50 million each, we also have a line of players developing in those positions ready to replace them.

I think whether our approach is better or worse probably comes down to what camp you find yoursefl in. If you want the Albion to throw money at players, then yes Villa are probably a level up on us. If you want the Albion to be sustainable and develop players, then I'd say we're probably a level up on Villa.

Brilliant post [emoji106]

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Must admit, I thought we had pretty much met their asking price. Can't believe it would take much to sweeten the deal. We have a good relationship with Independiente and know how to work with multiple South American owners. Even The Argus has an article on this which suggests we might be close to a deal. We also have Alexis and Moises and a world class Academy to encourage him to start his Premier League career with Albion. I'm optimistic on this one.

This isn't the same Indipendiente we have done business with before.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
This isn't the same Indipendiente we have done business with before.

Yeah, this Indipendiente are independent of Indipendiente.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
The good year he had in the PL before is more relevant than his good stats in the Championship which merely confirm and support what was seen the year before. It’s not a cheap price for him, but only slightly over what would be fair. The slight amount that forces a yoyo club who’d rather hold onto him to sell. They probably wouldn’t have for 25m for example because of being promoted.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He's a very good player who also had a good season in the PL the year before. Even then its a lot of money and the reason we have gone down the road we have. We can never compete for these sort of players £33m and say £100k a week over 5 years makes this closer to £60m over 5 years! Awful lot of money on just one player...

As I understand it, players wages are frequently equivalent to, the transfer fee, spread over the length of contract.
If this is true of the Buendia deal, then he is likely to be on £125k pw.
So Villas are paying £66m over 5 years. for him.
But if you are about to get your biggest earner off the books and a £100m profit from a forthcoming sale, it's a bit of a moot point.
Better to get the deal done before every selling club knows you've got £100m in your pocket.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
But if you are about to get your biggest earner off the books and a £100m profit from a forthcoming sale, it's a bit of a moot point.
Better to get the deal done before every selling club knows you've got £100m in your pocket.

I wonder if we’ll be doing the same?

We’d need to sell White & Biss to make our £100m+ (which could rise substantially if Ben gets some games in the next month).

It would be strange to sign some top talent in June/July and then be kicked in the balls with White & Biss leaving in August (although we’d know it’s inevitable) as the team turns from ‘nailed-on top ten’ to ‘survival first’.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
As I understand it, players wages are frequently equivalent to, the transfer fee, spread over the length of contract.
If this is true of the Buendia deal, then he is likely to be on £125k pw.
So Villas are paying £66m over 5 years. for him.

True if Grealish goes it makes a lot more sense.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Villa have been very happy to splash the cash since not being relegated due to goalline tech not working. Can't be sustainable for that much longer surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here