Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 23.48.11.png

The odd one out 2017-18
Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 23.48.35.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One obvious positive from that: this is the largest buffer we've had to the relegation zone in our four PL seasons.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Marvellous scenes.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Ctrl-C
Ctrl-V

And we could have saved 46.5 hours of our lives.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One obvious positive from that: this is the largest buffer we've had to the relegation zone in our four PL seasons.

And we’re playing comfortably the best football out of those 4 seasons and seem to be improving and aren’t just defending for points...

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
One thing that surprises me and yes stating the obvious but with out the figures in front of me I would never have guessed it. Based on Chris's defensively minded set up. I would never have guessed this would be the lowest season for goals against.

I believe GP is more attack minded. (Yes I know others will disagree) So pleasantly surprised by this. And we have actually scored more in the last two seasons. Not by much mind......

I take that small positive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another standout is the way we look "out of place" based on our goal difference in both the Potter seasons. In the Hughton seasons, we look about right.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Shows how good Hughton really did in that first season. Had a far inferior team performing better on ppg and playing really good football. It never felt like we’d go down that season and we had some cracking well deserved results. Of course all unravelled at the end and was time for him to go.

Potter has to push us on next season. If we are still in the same position and risk of getting relegated going into the last half of the season then you can’t imagine TB will be still be happy.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Shows how good Hughton really did in that first season. Had a far inferior team performing better on ppg and playing really good football. It never felt like we’d go down that season and we had some cracking well deserved results. Of course all unravelled at the end and was time for him to go.

Potter has to push us on next season. If we are still in the same position and risk of getting relegated going into the last half of the season then you can’t imagine TB will be still be happy.

Yes,it's also worth mentioning that in hughtons final season we had 27 points after Christmas and looked like making 40 with plenty of time to spare.
I remember thinking before Christmas that we just need the new young Murray style striker in January and we will be flying.
But it was also at that point in January that the wheels fell off.
I always wonder if by January some of the players and even hughton had realised a change was coming.
As you say the honeymoon period will well and truly be over for potter at the end of this season and we need to see improvement in the results and in my opinion the run up to next January needs to feel as comfortable in terms of getting points on the board as it was for hughton in his last season.
I do still have the feeling though that potter is laying the foundation for us to move up the table in a way that encompasses every aspect of the club's vision which wasn't going to happen under hughton.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Another standout is the way we look "out of place" based on our goal difference in both the Potter seasons. In the Hughton seasons, we look about right.

Very true. We're making progress despite what the actual league positions suggest. Potter will be under a bit of pressure from the board (and many fans!) to improve the points column next season though by turning some of those draws into wins.

I do think the club need to help him out though by doing all they can to bring in firepower. I'm not sure how it's really GP's fault that we're in this position this season especially; he has us set up creating enough good chances to win 2 games over in many games.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We have better players at the back and midfield. The difficult bit remains putting the ball in the net. Without Lamptey’s searing pace and March’s left sided balance our threat appears to have been blunted but Potter has made us more secure than Hughton. This is the first PL season where we’ve given everyone a proper game - even City at the Etihad against their strongest side. Sort out the top end (the incredibly difficult bit) and we are at least the equal of last night’s opponents across 38 games. Never seen a more elite -competitive team represent my club. Hugely encouraging and maddeningly frustrating in equal measure.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And we’re playing comfortably the best football out of those 4 seasons and seem to be improving and aren’t just defending for points...

But effectively not moving forward where it matters in terms of the league. The first season I found the most enjoyable, but I guess that’s because it was the first season.

I do feel we remain a decent forward away from top 12 though....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Shows how much the 2 points rather than 12 vs Palace and West Brom have cost us. 4 games that we really could have won.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Crazy stat. Agree with what has been said about TB not accepting flirting with relegation next year. To become established in the top 10 we need to be looking to finish there

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Crazy stat. Agree with what has been said about TB not accepting flirting with relegation next year. To become established in the top 10 we need to be looking to finish there

Which is correct.

However he needs to back Potter with a top 10 budget.

No surprise Villa kicked on with the amount of £££ they spent..... TB can’t expect Potter to deliver top 10 on a bottom 5 budget.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I think it’s a minor miracle that Potter has got us where we are when we went into the season with a front three of Maupay, Connolly & Zeqiri. That’s a championship strike force, so to have us reasonably clear of the drop, playing well in almost every game and with a minus 5 GD is a genuine feat and testament to his coaching abilities. Give him the tools and then he will be tested and we can judge.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think it’s a minor miracle that Potter has got us where we are when we went into the season with a front three of Maupay, Connolly & Zeqiri. That’s a championship strike force, so to have us reasonably clear of the drop, playing well in almost every game and with a minus 5 GD is a genuine feat and testament to his coaching abilities. Give him the tools and then he will be tested and we can judge.

Agree with that.
We didn't quite get the right £20m striker in Maupay. He works hard but is just short of the level required. The other two have youth on their side but not the quality needed. Welbeck has experience and class but is not a prolific goalscorer ( 6-7 a season ) We need more.

el punal

Valid points. I would add that many teams that get promoted to the Premier League punch above their weight in the first season and then fall away in the following year. In that instance look at the fortunes of Huddersfield and Sheffield United. We did too and only escaped the drop because Cardiff played catch up far too late in the campaign.

I agree with your comments regarding Potter. We do have a team that is showing so much promise but is lacking a cutting edge in front of goal. Rectify that - i.e. a decent striker (no shit Sherlock!) - and we really will be progressing. So, a positive outlook but with a “but”.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
To become established in the top 10 we need to be looking to finish there

Given that there are a perma 8 teams in the top 10 I'm not sure there's such a thing as established top 10.

Way I see it each season starts with those 8 aiming for top 4 or top 1 and the other 12 wanting to put relegation fears behind them as quickly as possible. Each season 1 or 2 teams 'outperform' and spoil the party a bit, this year WHU, last year Wolves and Sheff U, then Burnley, Stains and even WBA and Plucky before that. Tables show that positions 9-20 hugely fluid.

I think we're set up for a good run but can't ever see us expanding the top 8 to a top 9. Quite rightly though TB will be thinking otherwise

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here