Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 30 bloody 7 years ago

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
That game was the only time I was genuinely fearful for my life on a terrace when I was crushed on a barrier after the second equaliser. We had over 6,000 there and at least 5,500 were on that terrace which by the year 1998 had a safety certificate for 1,750!

I was one of a fair few who helped shovel the snow off the pitch for the replay, which got a gate of 19,000+.
Agree with that - it was absolutely rammed on that terrace that day - dangerously so.

Regarding the cold/snow - I don't remember it actually snowing on the day - and Barnet on Boxing Day 2000 was definitely colder!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Blackburn, at Ewood re-arranged midweek match, can't remember the date 'cos my brain was frozen.

Initial game was called off very late, thousands already in Blackburn. Many went to watch Accrington instead.
Was that when Spanish Dave equalised with a penalty and last kick of the game? I remember walking from the station over the canal bridge along a cobbled street with Blackburnians coming out of their terraced houses. It was something like Lowry 'going to the match'. Only about 110 of us lot.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
My first away game. I remember the free red scarves and the snowball fight in the coach park. I remember there were 7000 of us on the terrace behind the goal which was only meant to hold 2500. Only time I’ve ever felt genuinely scared at a football match, there was constant crushing and I honestly thought my ribs were going to snap under the pressure. When we scored my feet didn’t touch the ground for what felt like minutes. Despite all of that I think it was the most memorable and favourite away game I ever went to.

Like others I remember the snow, but I don't remember it being that cold. Maybe because we were all packed into the away end. Think I've been colder sitting down at Withdean TBH.

EDIT: From memory it didn't actually snow on the day, it was left over from a previous dump. 100% the game would be called off now.
Yes, the snow was from previous night and remember waiting for pitch inspection that morning as to whether it was going to be on or not. That was my 1st ever away game and loved it despite the long journey on coach. Remember old bill coming on coach making sure everyone was behaving themselves🤣🤣. Those were the good old days! In all my near 50 years of following the seagulls I can only remember a handful of games where its actually snowed during the game enough for them to change the ball to orange🙂🙂

PeakGull

Aug 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Agree, Boundary Park in May would be colder!!!
It wasn't for a football match but I went to a Rugby League match between Oldham and Leeds at the old Watersheddings ground in Oldham in November 1994 - I've only ever been colder in Berlin one December!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here