Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 2030 and Electric cars.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I’m not sure that it will be physically possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m not sure that it will be physically possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Production starts next year for the Tesla Semi.

7961a6c63866f7801905886a10ef05d7.jpg

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'd suggest to wait a year or two and buy Chinese. They're leading the world in electric vehicle and battery technology.

If you're the sort of person that only buys Apple (Foxconn) products, then please ignore this.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My priority at the moment is moving house and getting sorted. Give it a year with improvements to batteries and the technology and I’ll be in for one. I wouldn’t be looking to go super long distances so will look to charge at home. No doubt the chopping in value on my diesel Tiguan will be woeful despite it’s low mileage. Hopefully they will be a few options for SUV sized cars as I have problems getting in and out of a standard vehicle.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
If you aren't already committed - avoid BP Chargemaster. Their wall box is really basic, and it requires an earthing rod. If your installation location isn't suitable for earthing for any reason, they won't be any use to you at all. You don't need to spend much more to get a local supplier to sort you out with something better. Mostly because that BP engineer with vertigo charges like a wounded bull for their time, so unless you're getting free installation provided with the car you'll be far better off doing your research and getting something else.

I used a local Uckfield business (VoltEV) and had a Myenergi Zappi installed (I've got solar panels so can make good use of it, but even without the solar it's a great piece of kit). Was £625 fully installed, including additional hardware because my fusebox was full so needed an isolator, and I've got the added benefit that the app that comes with it gives me far better electric usage tracking for the house than the governments smart meters do.

Thanks but am committed as they like to take the money upfront. It is on credit card so last resort is S75 claim if they cant deliver. but guess they will refund anyway if they can't. Mercedes use them, which is why.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
My priority at the moment is moving house and getting sorted. Give it a year with improvements to batteries and the technology and I’ll be in for one. I wouldn’t be looking to go super long distances so will look to charge at home. No doubt the chopping in value on my diesel Tiguan will be woeful despite it’s low mileage. Hopefully they will be a few options for SUV sized cars as I have problems getting in and out of a standard vehicle.

Most car designs are finalised 3-5 in advance, so a year isn’t necessarily going to make much difference, by the middle of this decade I’d expect technical advances that are occurring now and in the next couple of years to be available in the mass market.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Most car designs are finalised 3-5 in advance, so a year isn’t necessarily going to make much difference, by the middle of this decade I’d expect technical advances that are occurring now and in the next couple of years to be available in the mass market.

I don’t believe that there is currently a car out there that is in my price bracket and fulfils my other requirements. A year was a “roundabout” sort of estimate, but I thank you for your point.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Thanks but am committed as they like to take the money upfront. It is on credit card so last resort is S75 claim if they cant deliver. but guess they will refund anyway if they can't. Mercedes use them, which is why.

So do Renault. They're still overpriced piles of doo-doo compared to other units that are available.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

While that's true, a lot of the advances on the horizon for batteries relate to their internals, and a rather large chunk of the potential improvement for EVs is the battery. You could design the car around a predetermined battery shape, and then simply build and slot in a battery that fits the space that uses the most current technology. It's also not that hard to fit in a different motor - the ZE40 version of the Zoe had a significant motor upgrade during it's lifetime when they introduced the R110 and continued selling cars fitted with the original R90.

So while the basic architecture of the car might be mostly locked in, they will still have flexibility around the technology that gets dropped in when they hit production.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
So do Renault. They're still overpriced piles of doo-doo compared to other units that are available.

Since replying first time, have had electrician in to quote for the 32A supply. He is providing an earthing rod, as says that it is required for any 32A supply from distribution board to outside so BP Chargemaster are not making it up (and they do the hard yards of sourcing OLEV grant).

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The roadmap entitled "battery2030eu" sets out how the EU is working towards new sustainable battery technology to replace the resource limited current lithium technology combined with new renewable energy production wind solar water and small nuclear the future for carbon free travel looks promising, I do personally think battery driven will be ultimatley overtaken by hydrogen fuel cells

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Since replying first time, have had electrician in to quote for the 32A supply. He is providing an earthing rod, as says that it is required for any 32A supply from distribution board to outside so BP Chargemaster are not making it up (and they do the hard yards of sourcing OLEV grant).

Not required with the Zappi I have, however I'll forgive your installer not knowing. Zappi is the only one currently that has PEN protection built in.

All the decent installers will handle the OLEV grant.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Interesting piece by Rowan Atkisnon on Electric cars

Again Electric cars was/is/won't never about saving the planet and ALL about saving the car industry.
You don't even have to dig deep (no pun intended) to find the damage being done by mining for the components - but hey that's mainly in the third world so that's ok.

Instead of selling us massive wankpanzers to keep the occupants safe and f**k everyone else, the industry should have been going micro, sadly there's no profit in that.

Fiat almost revolutionised the way we look at cars with the 500.
But it couldn't help itself and inexplicably (not inexplicably at all - money) 10 years later we end up with the Fiat 500L, or whatever, a comparatively massive 5 door estate. The same goes for Mini.

Now Fiat have followed Citroen in making a city car that everybody in the city actually needs and it looks like a deathtrap because it's sharing space with Range Rovers and Volvo XC90 and BMW X3/4/5/6 et al.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I quite like that FIAT Topolino and would love one if I lived in a sunny beach resort. Driving a car with no doors around the South Coast does not appeal in the least though.

I followed an Ami which has the same top speed -28MPH on the A259 the other month and thought how f***ing dangerous it was. Too small and too slow for UK main roads and in a city with buses and vans equally as dangerous I imagine. Just one step up from a Sinclair C5 imo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here