Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] 2 kids under 2 - car choice...

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
"What were you thinking?" I hear you say...

Well, it took us a little while the first time round, so we thought we'd get back on the horse at the earliest time we'd like to conceive... OBVIOUSLY it happened first time. :lol:

I now have 7 and a bit months to get set for Babygeddon II (this time with a toddler for company), so my thoughts turn immediately to the need for a bigger car.

I've got quite long legs, so driver's leg room is quite important - not easy to achieve with a car seat behind. We have a dog too, so the boot will need to be large enough for a dog, a pram and whatever else (change bags, shopping etc).

I don't like SUVs as I think their bulk is wasteful for the actual amount of extra interior space, so I'm thinking an estate - something along the lines of a Volvo v60 (maybe v90), or Skoda Octavia (maybe the Superb).
I'm not going to let my dislike of SUVs get in the way of best choice for my family (and the wife likes them), so feel free to suggest one if I'd be missing out otherwise...

I can't go for fully electric as I have the unhelpful combination of a rural setting (no charge points anywhere near), and only on-street parking (the opposite side to my house at that).

NSC is the fount of all knowledge, so thanks in advance for your suggestions for something roomy (and hopefully nicer to look at & drive than a Berlingo :sick:).

What can you lovely people recommend?*

THANK YOU!

* Not having another baby right now is not a valid answer

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Have you thought about a people carrier, something like a Ford C-max or similar ? Lots of room for family and luggage, variable seat configurations etc.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Peugeot 2008

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Kia Soul...

ETA oops... didn't notice the bit about the dogs.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
VW’s and Audi’s are great, so well built, Skoda’s essentially the same car but much cheaper. An excellent choice.

There are SUV’s and SUV’s, I love the room in the rear of mid sized SUV’s …. for moving bikes or trips to the tip, the space for paraphernalia for family holidays very welcome.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
"What were you thinking?" I hear you say...

Well, it took us a little while the first time round, so we thought we'd get back on the horse at the earliest time we'd like to conceive... OBVIOUSLY it happened first time. :lol:

I now have 7 and a bit months to get set for Babygeddon II (this time with a toddler for company), so my thoughts turn immediately to the need for a bigger car.

I've got quite long legs, so driver's leg room is quite important - not easy to achieve with a car seat behind. We have a dog too, so the boot will need to be large enough for a dog, a pram and whatever else (change bags, shopping etc).

I don't like SUVs as I think their bulk is wasteful for the actual amount of extra interior space, so I'm thinking an estate - something along the lines of a Volvo v60 (maybe v90), or Skoda Octavia (maybe the Superb).
I'm not going to let my dislike of SUVs get in the way of best choice for my family (and the wife likes them), so feel free to suggest one if I'd be missing out otherwise...

I can't go for fully electric as I have the unhelpful combination of a rural setting (no charge points anywhere near), and only on-street parking (the opposite side to my house at that).

NSC is the fount of all knowledge, so thanks in advance for your suggestions for something roomy (and hopefully nicer to look at & drive than a Berlingo :sick:).

What can you lovely people recommend?*

THANK YOU!

* Not having another baby right now is not a valid answer

We got a Ford C-Max at a similar point in our lives. We have, 2 small dogs, a 2 year old and a 4 year old now, we've had the car for the last 3 years and don't have any complaints about the space. Ample boot space for dogs, prams etc, I'm not sure on the leg room as we're both quite short so it's not really a problem for us. The only thing I would say is I think the B-Max may have been a better choice, as the sliding doors would be good for getting little ones out of small parking spaces.

The in-laws do a lot of childcare for us, they have had a Skoda Octavia and recently bought a Volvo V60, they have both served them well if you prefer estates

Last edited:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Mrs Spongy has a b-max, she loves it but I'm not a fan. The sliding rear doors are great for car parks but remember it is based on a Fiesta so it's not as big as you think and the boot not big enough for a stroller to go in flat let alone a buggy or 2.

C-max looks a good bet as based on the Focus platform I believe. I'm sure I've seen C-Maxs on the road with sliding rear doors as well.

Octavia is a great car, we have one at work as a pool car that I've used a few times and have been impressed with it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
We've only got the one child but the Seat Ateca is a decent car with plenty of room. The 1.0 TSI has plenty of go.

Edit: It's the Seat version of the Tiguan.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Have you thought about a people carrier, something like a Ford C-max or similar ? Lots of room for family and luggage, variable seat configurations etc.

We got a Ford C-Max at a similar point in our lives. We have, 2 small dogs, a 2 year old and a 4 year old now, we've had the car for the last 3 years and don't have any complaints about the space. Ample boot space for dogs, prams etc, I'm not sure on the leg room as we're both quite short so it's not really a problem for us. The only thing I would say is I think the B-Max may have been a better choice, as the sliding doors would be good for getting little ones out of small parking spaces.

The in-laws do a lot of childcare for us, they have had a Skoda Octavia and recently bought a Volvo V60, they have both serviced them well if you prefer estates

I hadn't really thought of a C-Max - they look relatively small from the outside and I've not been in one.

This is exactly the kind of useful input I was hoping for, as I think my mindset is pretty closed, seeing an estate car as the only solution. I'm not going to have much time to get out and look/test drive potentials either, so hearing perspectives like this is very useful.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
We are going through something similar although baby No.2 isn’t quite on its way just yet. We have a Skoda Kamiq, the smallest SUV Skoda do. It’s been great, if just a little on the small side with a monster “travel system” pram and a dog. I have a compete distain for the “Dad bus” - C-Max, Zafira etc so wasn’t going to even look at those. We trawled through all the used car supermarkets to find the best to suit our fairly standard needs. Settled almost back where we started with the Kodiaq (Skoda’s largest SUV) but in 5 seats form. Enormous boot, well specced and very reasonable price.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
VW’s and Audi’s are great, so well built, Skoda’s essentially the same car but much cheaper. An excellent choice.

There are SUV’s and SUV’s, I love the room in the rear of mid sized SUV’s …. for moving bikes or trips to the tip, the space for paraphernalia for family holidays very welcome.

One of the village dads has just got a Kodiaq, so I'll have a poke around in that at some point. We have an A3 sportback at the moment, which we're very happy with - it's just not going to be big enough when #2 arrives. Something from the VW stable would be ideal.

I think the reason I also think of a Volvo estate is just the strong association with it being a big, safe family car.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've got a Mazda 5 which great for little ones. Sliding back doors to make it easy to get them out in tight spaces and a huge boot for all the stuff you have to cart round. Boot can even be converted into two more seats. Doesn't really look like a people carrier more like an estate. Not sure if they still make them but I would imagine there are plenty to be found second hand.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I hadn't really thought of a C-Max - they look relatively small from the outside and I've not been in one.

This is exactly the kind of useful input I was hoping for, as I think my mindset is pretty closed, seeing an estate car as the only solution. I'm not going to have much time to get out and look/test drive potentials either, so hearing perspectives like this is very useful.

My SMax is now 11 years old and has been an absolute trooper for the kids growing up (I've stupidly got 3). It's lugged half a football team all over, camping gear, building materials (200 bricks on one trip), tip runs the lot. Cavernous amount of space with the foldy up seat things in the rear that mean you can comfortably sit 7 in it or fit your kitchen sink in. Maybe too big for some, but my plan is to run it to a standstill then see what is available. Drives well too, not like a Galaxy or other Mpvs, it's a Mondeo chasis so handles nicely for a big car.

What I would have loved though, and they were only available on the Mazda I think at the time, but Ford now do on some models is sliding rear doors - as [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] just mentioned above. Brilliant for dealing with the kids and not dealing with a door swing. Was one item I wish they'd had on the Smax.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
2 under 2? Piece of piss mate.

I've got 53 weeks between my middle two and then another 18 months to my youngest, so less than 2.5 years between the 3. When you throw the oldest into the mix at I have 4 kids and not quite 5.5 years covering them all. A lot easier now the youngest is 9 but it was hard work.

Anyway back to cars, you'll want something with a decent amount of boot space if you need a double buggy, or two buggys, plus everything else they need. Also something that is easy access into the baby seats. I think the Skoda estate is a good shout, i very nearly went for one when I was looking recently because of the amount of sports equipment I have to now lug around for the kids.

I'd also recommend looking at the Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, although it's a 7 seater, the seat combinations and their flexibility if you don't need all 7 seats means you've got a lot of space for everything else too.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
VW Touran. You might even be able to get hold of one that converts to a 7 seater for future proofing, which is OK until the kids get to six foot and can’t get in or out.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We have 2 kids and at one point had 2 greyhounds. We found the Ford SMax has perfect for all requirements.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I find it amazing that people are still having kids when the world's going down the shitter

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One of the village dads has just got a Kodiaq, so I'll have a poke around in that at some point. We have an A3 sportback at the moment, which we're very happy with - it's just not going to be big enough when #2 arrives. Something from the VW stable would be ideal.

I think the reason I also think of a Volvo estate is just the strong association with it being a big, safe family car.

Volvo led the way on safety for decades, people still give them that kudos. Euro NCAP will show the current ratings, in addition to that, obviously a larger car with the same NCAP rating of smaller car, should be safer.

I had a new Golf for most of our parenting years (same engines and platforms as Audi A3), I'm tall and it was fine. The boot the one snag for holidaying, we used to put one case between the kids.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
I’ve got 2 boys, 22 months apart… we’ve got a Ford C-Max titanium. Sliding rear doors and it’s a 7 seater with the rearmost seats able to fold down. Sliding doors are a godsend and so much room in it I used to move house (not all in one go obviously, it’s not that big!). Front and rear parking sensors and only cost us £7k. A few issues over the years but it’s a ford so relatively cheap to repair and surpassingly economical for a diesel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here