Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] 11 days non-stop, absolutely amazing

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Oh, I entirely agree - It's the most ludicrous 'industry', their birds are 'captive' wen it legally suits them or 'wild' when it's time for release. Avian flu? Pah, get them out there. The fact that they're reared without the influence of an adult and in 'safe' spaces contributes to their complete lack of self preservation instinct. This time of year our lane can be chocka with them and they just won't move until you, almost literally, drive in to them. Watched a cat take one the other day, cat must have been p*ssing itself, just bounded up and took it, easy dinner.....
Pheasants are attracted onto the roads for the small pieces of grit/gravel to aid their digestion. 40% of the adult pheasant population die on the roads.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Oh, I entirely agree - It's the most ludicrous 'industry', their birds are 'captive' wen it legally suits them or 'wild' when it's time for release. Avian flu? Pah, get them out there. The fact that they're reared without the influence of an adult and in 'safe' spaces contributes to their complete lack of self preservation instinct. This time of year our lane can be chocka with them and they just won't move until you, almost literally, drive in to them. Watched a cat take one the other day, cat must have been p*ssing itself, just bounded up and took it, easy dinner.....
I was at the MH farm mentioned above in 96 , a man i now call a very good friend brought 7 goslings and 1 16 hour old duckling into the cabin . They were all put together into a pen with food and a light/heat source , by the most unbelievable set of circumstances i walked into this room where the pen was to find blood on the floor with the duckling with a broken toe and broken wing , the locals were for euphanasia but me being a "towny" said i`d look after her . The wife loved her and she was with us for 2 months short of 7 years , she was my best friend , she bonded with me at the farm and when i was at home never left my side .

I don`t think i ever felt such an incredible loss in my life , my mates and of course my wife encouraged me to adopt another duckling which we did , she had a heart condition known to breeders , she should have lived for only 5 months , the utterly incredible vet we had chanced using Digitalin on her and she lived for 3 and a half years , that hurt and still hurts more than i can express .

Again my friend brought a new friend 5 months later , she was eggbound after a year and nearly died , she got peritonitis which would normally be a 100% death sentence , but again our incredible lady vet had already started her on ABs so she was extremely ill for a long time and not expected to survive , but she did and lived for 14 years 5 months . I mourned her 1 year passing on the 14 Nov , never cried so much in my life .

Animals are incredible , we all have our favourites but i choose Birds , my friend might come back with another little friend , if he does i will be the happy Tug i was not the miserable one i feel .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Was it true that you couldn’t kill a pheasant on the road AND then pick it up for home ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here