Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

viewing figures

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Unless you have a BARB box, they have no idea what you are watching at all, and you don't come into the stats.

Everyone who has a BARB box (just over 5,000 homes, counting for 11,000 people) accounts for 5,000 viewers.

When I first moved to London around 15 years ago I lived in a flat where we had one of those boxes. You used to have to press a button for each person who was in the room and then the machine did the rest. We used to make sure the machine thought all 4 of us were always "in the room" for any sport programmes in the hope that would influence the powers that be to put more on. It certainly made you feel guilty about watching crap too.

Not sure how it works with sky+ and so on these days though

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That doesnt represent anything like 9m as the figure that will be quoted in the press on Sunday or Monday for the most watched and 7m or 8m for the
other as this represents about 15+m viewers.

Each home that is a panel home represents 5000 homes. If there are 5100 panel homes each representing about 5000 homes

5100 x 5000 = 25,500,000 or 25.5m homes. Those homes contain multiple devices and multiple people.

Viewing figures are the number of people watching.

It easily accounts for all the viewers.

(You appear to have multiplied 30,000 devices by 5100 homes, and come out wrong by a factor of about 10. 30,000 x 5100 = 153,000,000 - the 30,000 refers to the number of devices in the 5100 homes, i.e. there were 30,000 TVs, computes, Tablets, smartphones etc - an average of under six devices per panel home)

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When I first moved to London around 15 years ago I lived in a flat where we had one of those boxes. You used to have to press a button for each person who was in the room and then the machine did the rest. We used to make sure the machine thought all 4 of us were always "in the room" for any sport programmes in the hope that would influence the powers that be to put more on. It certainly made you feel guilty about watching crap too.

Not sure how it works with sky+ and so on these days though

I remember an episode of Roseanne where the Connors became a neilson family (the us equivalent). They made sure the TV was always on something high brow because they didn't want the anyone to think they were common or stupid.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
It always amazes mne how they can determine how many people are watching which show when they say that Strictly had 11m viewers and X Factor 10m how do they know which one my wife is watching and which she is recording.

They just know.......be afraid.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I hope they didn't count me, cos I watched Godfather 2 on my personal DVD player, as my missus and daughter watched Strictly

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
BMS - British Media Servivces, contract out to a East European firm of data collectors.
These data collectors- typically of Romainian origin, then set up DGH's (Data Gathering Hubs) in high density areas like apartment blocks,
all over the UK. The Sussex Hub is thought to be located somewhere in the Hayward's Heath area.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
They probably dont know I am on my laptop on NSC not really watching either, TV just on in the background.

Sorry, you are too trusting. Do you imagine that for one minute your laptop hasn't told your tv that it's them that has your attention? It's a sad tale of electronic envy. Happens all the time, my iron and toaster hate each other :wink:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
BMS - British Media Servivces, contract out to a East European firm of data collectors.
These data collectors- typically of Romainian origin, then set up DGH's (Data Gathering Hubs) in high density areas like apartment blocks,
all over the UK. The Sussex Hub is thought to be located somewhere in the Hayward's Heath area.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If there wasn't a man with a clipboard sitting in your spare armchair closely observing you and your wife then, no, you've not been counted.

Many years ago my wife used to sit on the sofa with a clipboard on a Saturday night often in a tight pencil skirt, a white blouse and with her hair up in a bun and with glasses on.

But like I say that was many years ago.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I remember reading about Ofcom dishing out a 6 figure fine after a solitary complaint was made by a viewer because a TV channel had failed to encrypt their programming late at night and transmitted it free to air in error. The main embarrassment for the TV channel was informing Ofcom there was only a maximum of 67 subscribers tuned in between 10pm and 5.30am.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here