Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New: Barber on Ashworth, recruitment, u23s, and the vision.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So how does FFP work in the Prem? We've seen that teams like Palace couldn't spend much as they were near the ceiling for FFP, so any idea what we have to adhere to and where we are on that scale? Surely that would determine how much we have can spend this summer?

Clubs are allowed to increase the football wage bill by £7 million a season PLUS any increase in non-broadcast income PLUS the average profit on player sales over the last three years.

Some unscrupulous clubs may try to circumvent the rules by allocating wages elsewhere. One club paid the mother of a player £700,000 a year when he signed to be a youth scout and these costs were exempt from FFP. I've upset the club and they presently have an injunction out preventing me from mentioning the club name, his name or that of his mother in public, but his father's name is Paul Ince.

Last edited:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
So, Tony, Dan and Paul W get frequent mentions by name. But the manager is only ever referred to as “the manager”....

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So when do you think we will hear about what this new vision is?

The board are having their normal end of season 2 day meeting in a week or so and Barber , in the interview, said that this was one of the topics under discussion.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Clubs are allowed to increase the football wage bill by £7 million a season PLUS any increase in non-broadcast income PLUS the average profit on player sales over the last three years.

Some unscrupulous clubs may try to circumvent the rules by allocating wages elsewhere. One club paid the mother of a player £700,000 a year when he signed to be a youth scout and these costs were exempt from FFP. I've upset the club and they presently have an injunction out preventing me from mentioning the club name, his name or that of his mother in public, but his father's name is Paul Ince.

Absolutely flipping brilliant post!!!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So good to have serious people running the club.

Agreed. We've said it before but when you see how many clubs even (or maybe especially) in the PL are run by people who treat their organisations as playthings, cash cows, money-laundering organisations or attempts to buy credibility and acceptance, we are so lucky with our owner and senior officials.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I've upset the club and they presently have an injunction out preventing me from mentioning the club name, his name or that of his mother in public, but his father's name is Paul Ince.

:clap::clap::clap:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I wish he had said "Strengthen The Team" rather than "Strengthen The Squad". It's probably the same thing but on here we all want the team strengthened.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

No, you've got me there. Wish I knew who you are talking about. [emoji1]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I like the wording. Survival isn't very inspiring. We survived this year but that was softened a little bit by a good cup run. Can't wait to see what is around the corner, maybe push for top half or another cup run
Hows this hash tag lark thing go #europereadyorsomething

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wish he had said "Strengthen The Team" rather than "Strengthen The Squad". It's probably the same thing but on here we all want the team strengthened.
Yes, we don't need another 'squad strengthening' like we had last summer - we need to get players in who are actually better than those we have got, who will go straight into the first choice match day XI and improve it. Yes, it will cost, but we've got £100M heading our way - we'll just need to spend most of it!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good read - I can't help but notice that CH's name isn't mentioned much. Probably reading too much into it but I just wonder...

So, Tony, Dan and Paul W get frequent mentions by name. But the manager is only ever referred to as “the manager”....

I think you are barking up the wrong tree, in your immediate analysis of the statement, but indeed, the ENTIRE POINT of setting up a club structure like this, is that it is absolutely NOT all focused around the manager / first team coach - so the club isn't required to reinvent the wheel every time the manager changes.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Didn't Derby try to sue their ex-chief exec in relation to his dodgy dealings? Aside from the aforementioned youth scout thing he squandered millions on scouting reports, one of which recommended signing Mbappe and Ousmane Dembele :lol::wozza:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
"Now what is the next vision? Because staying in the Premier League isn't very inspiring to the outside world.
"Internally it's still very important, because people internally understand what it drives and how important it is.
"But our next challenge is to identify clearly and articulate clearly what the next vision is. And we need to make sure it is reasonable but aspirational, that it is exciting but achievable.’

What is the “next vision” if not to simply remain in the PL?

At what point do you think we will be given an idea?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This sounds very encouraging and realistic and above all acknowledges we need more than survival.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here