Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley fan charged with racially abusing Gaetan Bong

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oxymoron, if you don’t mind, just like the above post.

I ask awkward questions, put me on ignore if you don’t like it. :wave:

No - you responded to my reference to the statistic that in three Premier League seasons Burnley have fielded ONE (not very) black player - wildly out of sync with the league norm, with a question asking whether Brighton are 'racist' because their Chairman and CEO are white.

That's not an 'awkward question'.

It is a really, really, really stupid one.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No - you responded to my reference to the statistic that in three Premier League season's Burnley have fielded ONE (not very) black player - wildly out of sync with the league norm, with a question asking whether Brighton are 'racist' because their Chairman and CEO are white.

A club which has black managers of both the Male and Female teams.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No - you responded to my reference to the statistic that in three Premier League season's Burnley have fielded ONE (not very) black player - wildly out of sync with the league norm, with a question asking whether Brighton are 'racist' because their Chairman and CEO are white.

I also posted that it is easy to quote ‘facts’ that mean nothing, just like my comments about the makeup of our boardroom. But that doesn’t suit your agenda now does it? ‘Not very black’, bet the person in question might take offence to that, if he was anything like you.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I also posted that it is easy to quote ‘facts’ that mean nothing, just like my comments about the makeup of our boardroom. But that doesn’t suit your agenda now does it? ‘Not very black’, bet the person in question might take offence to that, if he was anything like you.

No, look. You really are being an idiot. Do I really need to spell this out?

Burnley in 3 PL seasons (that's 75 first team squad places) have regularly fielded ONE mixed-race player. Statistically, you see, that is WILDLY out of line with every single other club in recent PL history. It is because it is such an anomaly that it can not be brushed off as 'a fact that means nothing'.

Your perverse attempt at deflection / whataboutism doesn't work, because the 'fact' that you've thrown up, is completely in keeping with the football industry norms, and thus almost certainly DOES 'mean nothing'.

Does that help?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No, look. You really are being an idiot. Do I really need to spell this out?

Ok, I will take the bait. Are you saying that Burnley FC as an institution is racist, or are you saying that a large proportion of their fan base are racist? Just asking like.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ok, I will take the bait. Are you saying that Burnley FC as an institution is racist, or are you saying that a large proportion of their fan base are racist? Just asking like.

I'm saying that the make up of the Burnley first team squad over a long period of time, is very (almost exclusively) white, that this is statistically a huge anomaly, and that it isn't unreasonable to look for factors that might throw up such an anomaly.

Anything else is merely conjecture. My personal take might be:

Do I think that the Burnley recruitment team are all rabid racists? No, I don't.

Do I think that Burnley as a town, has a significant number of people with backward attitudes to race? Yes, I do.

Do I think that translates to a similar proportion with the football club's fanbase? Yes, I do.

Do I think that given a choice between signing a white English player and a black African player of similar attributes, the recruitment team might consciously or unconsciously lean towards the one all their fans are likely to warm to? Maybe.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm saying that the make up of the Burnley first team squad over a long period of time, is very (almost exclusively) white, that this is statistically a huge anomaly, and that it isn't unreasonable to look for factors that might throw up such an anomaly.

Anything else is merely conjecture. My personal take might be:

Do I think that the Burnley recruitment team are all rabid racists? No, I don't.

Do I think that Burnley as a town, has a significant number of people with backward attitudes to race? Yes, I do.

Do I think that translates to a similar proportion with the football club's fanbase? Yes, I do.

Do I think that given a choice between signing a white English player and a black African player of similar attributes, the recruitment team might consciously or unconsciously lean towards the one all their fans are likely to warm to? Maybe.

So you like to throw lots of numbers around, but they actually prove nothing other than you have a opinion?

Thanks for that.

Move on.

Nothing to see here.

Utter codswallop.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So you like to throw lots of numbers around, but they actually prove nothing other than you have a opinion?

Thanks for that.

Move on.

Nothing to see here.

Utter codswallop.

It isn't my job to prove anything, you fool.

You rounded on [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] 's original post noting that their team was exclusively white, and asking whether it might 'give any hint' about the area.

It was a perfectly valid question, to ponder whether there were any correlation between local (fanbase) attitudes to race, and the make up of the squad.

All I've sought to do is emphasise the magnitude of the statistical anomaly - which personally I'd say DOES invite closer analysis.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
English + white = Racist!

Really? Never had you down for being that stupid.

Thanks for that.

Move on.

Nothing to see here.

Utter codswallop.
It's probably worth pointing out that YOU started this by completely misinterpreting what [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] said. [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] has pointed out why you were wrong to do that and explained why. Other people will make their own minds up about your interpretation of this. I know I have.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It isn't my job to prove anything, you fool.

You rounded on [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] 's original post noting that their team was exclusively white, and asking whether it might 'give any hint' about the area.

It was a perfectly valid question, to ponder whether there were any correlation between local (fanbase) attitudes to race, and the make up of the squad.

All I've sought to do is emphasise the magnitude of the statistical anomaly - which personally I'd say DOES invite closer analysis.

It's probably worth pointing out that YOU started this by completely misinterpreting what [MENTION=38]Beach Hut[/MENTION] said. [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] has pointed out why you were wrong to do that and explained why. Other people will make their own minds up about your interpretation of this. I know I have.

How interesting.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
How interesting.

HomelyUnsungAmethystsunbird-max-1mb.gif

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I ask awkward questions, put me on ignore if you don’t like it. :wave:

If you're talking about those embarrassing, awkward silences that some people cause after they open their mouths yet again, then yes, yes you do ask awkward questions. Often.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I ask awkward questions

How many feathers are on a Perdue chicken? How many fibers are intertwined in a Shredded Wheat biscuit? What does 'Tuhs eht lleh pu' mean? How many times did the Batmobile catch a flat?

- I wish my cousin Nag was here. He knows these things!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Whilst I have stated I am not going to comment again on the incident again between Bong and Rodriguez

This latest incident gives people within the game the opportunity to try and educate at least these individuals. The younger lad in particular.

And whilst there needs to be some sort of punishment carried out. There is great scope here also for rehabilitation. The lad is a mere 18 years old. He is a Student with his life ahead of him. He now finds himself named all over the Media charged with a racially motivated crime.

Someone from ''Kick it Out'' needs to also step in here. Its no use just producing leaflets and putting up banners. They need to get to the heart of the problem and whilst this is not the first arrest for such an incident. Such arrests are still in their infancy.

With this in mind as soon as he is convicted. And he will be convicted because Brighton has one of the best CCTV Monitoring systems in the country.

Once that happens ''Kick it Out'' should be offering to step in and educate the young lad on how his behaviour impacts on football and in the broader society. They should be saying to him '' do you want to learn from your mistakes and show any future potential employers what you learned from your behaviour''. Otherwise he just spirals into what his parents and peers appear to have created to date.

Teach him that with proper knowledge and good advice, he could potentially grow to be a productive member of society. We need to do this now and we need to actively try and show that we can change people's behaviour if we can intervene at the correct time in peoples lives.

A lot of funding goes into organisations like ''Kick it Out'' so time for them to justify that funding.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
At the very least, would be nice if Burnley fans didn't sing "Nathan Higgins, he's one of our own" at the next match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here