Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia- a simple question.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He surely would have played today had Bruno not been injured, but the other two remaining subs were more pressing - Gross always gets subbed, and March needed to be.
Amazed March got a new deal tbh, not worried about the result we seem to need three games every season before we get going.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Despite having Murray, we don't really have wingers who look to cross first we have those who cut inside and look to score or who are pinned back and look to join in after 7 or 8 seconds. Murray is also too slow to run onto the balls from deep and instead just wins a foul (which he's very good at) or holds it up and we miss the chance to break.

Locadia I think was bought to have the pace and hold up play to fit more into that style as a 'lone' striker who has 3 attack minded players chugging up field from deep behind him. He'll look to break solo or hold it up for them. I don't think our rare crosses are even often head height anyway so think he'll be fine at the job been brought in to do in Chris' system.

Izquierdo and Ali as the wingers will help big time too in the attacking third at least.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Which fits in with the way we played at the end of the season. And would suit most of our players. IMHO Murray stops us from doing this effectively.
From what I've seen of Andone, he likes it on the floor too (and especially down the wide channels). Neither like to play the way we currently do.

I do agree with what you’re saying and I think playing with pace and direct running will be the most exciting and effective way for us to play.

My concern, however, when you take Murray out of the team is we would lose his height and ability defending set pieces - particularly with our recent issues in that department!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The situation with Locadia is a strange one, I thought he did quite well in the games I’ve seen him. CH does not seem to trust him though, which is a worry given how few alternatives we have. Really hope he gets to start against United and start to make CH question the wiseness of starting Murray every game.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
The situation with Locadia is a strange one, I thought he did quite well in the games I’ve seen him. CH does not seem to trust him though, which is a worry given how few alternatives we have. Really hope he gets to start against United and start to make CH question the wiseness of starting Murray every game.

In fairness to Hughton’s team selection yesterday neither Locadia or Andone have been fit through preseason (which is a real shame as I think we were all hoping they would have a strong pre-season and we would see what they were made of), so I don’t think Murray’s inclusion yesterday can be labelled as negative reviews surprising.

Once all three of our strikers, Izquierdo and Jahanbakhsh are up to speed I’m really intrigued to see what Hughton’s preferred line up will be.

el punal

This isn't a dig.

I'm a bit bemused about Locadia. I know he had a knock so wasn't so likely to feature today but i'm struggling with this chap- where does he actually play and where should he play for us?

Is he the long term replacement for Murray? Is he a winger? A number 10? Is he just making up the numbers?

Does anybody have any idea?

Google it.

el punal

Amazed March got a new deal tbh, not worried about the result we seem to need three games every season before we get going.

It wasn’t the result that was the problem, despite the fact we handed 3 points to a relegation candidate on a silver platter, it was the rank bad performance that is alarming.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I think we just have to accept the club made a mistake with his signing. He's clearly not doing much in training to impress CH and I think we just have to put this one down to experience. Of last season's signings only Locadia, Suttner, and to a lesser extent Schelotto didn't really work out. The success rate of last years new faces was pretty good to be honest. Not all signings will work out. Even this year, as great as it was to see many new players come in, in all reality and being pragmatic, 2 or 3 of them are likely to either struggle to adapt to the Prem or just won't be good enough.

I have to say that in Locadia's case, I think we'd have more joy if Dunk went up front to be honest. Possibly loaning him out to a Championship side might be the answer to get him some experience as controversial as that sounds.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think there was a clue to the way CH sees him in the friendly at Wimbledon, where he ran in behind the defence and had three one-on-ones with the keeper. Okay, he failed to hit the target with any of them, but when/if he’s ever fully fit I think we can expect to see what we paid all that money for.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Mystic fans judging a player who has never had a run in the team, He’s a decent player just need to get going.

Indeed.

Apparently he can’t even play up front on his own!

In reality, we really need some pace in our attack when away from home and he is probably the answer. I think we’ll be seeing a lot more of this chap.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I see Locadia as a Vardy type channal runner .. he needs the ball played into the space he is running towards

whether the Albion currently has the players with enough vision to pick those passes and whether Locadia can time them right is yet to be seen

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Would be nice if he was judged after he has actually appeared on the pitch for a few games.
Agreed!

I thought he looked quite good in a cup game last season but then he didn't get many chances to show what he can do.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I see Locadia as a Vardy type channal runner .. he needs the ball played into the space he is running towards

whether the Albion currently has the players with enough vision to pick those passes and whether Locadia can time them right is yet to be seen

Can't Gross play a through ball?

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Can't Gross play a through ball?

simple answer .... Yes of course but really needs more than one as cant rely on the same person all the time ... cant judge the rest until they have that kind of striker using that style

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here