Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] An ignorant cyclists

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I am sure that when I was studying the Highway Code 50 odd years ago in preparation for my Driving Test the book contained a road sign for a compulsory cycle track. Less sure, I think there was one on what is now Crawley Avenue (A23) then known as the Crawley By pass. I'm not sure if that cycle track still exists. It was separated from the roadway by a grass verge and now may just be a footpath?

50 years ago you could do u turns on motorways

theboybilly

If a cycle lane is provided shouldn't it be an offense to ride on the road and not in the lane.

No. What if a cycle lane is parked on by selfish motorists (which is most of the time) or a cycle lane actually puts a cyclist in more danger? Most authorities pay lip service to integrated transport, In the case of cycle lanes they think a 'white line' lane which actually narrows the roadspace for cars is acceptable. What is needed is lanes with a hard border - a kerb if you like - to protect the vunerable. Research has shown that if cycle lanes are provided in such a way two- wheeled traffic will increase especially in the case of children. I would love to ride all the way from Shoreham to the Amex but much of the journey from Ropetackle to the King Alfred Centre is just too dangerous at busy times.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
D9PYeJsWsAANCZ9.jpeg

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No. What if a cycle lane is parked on by selfish motorists (which is most of the time) or a cycle lane actually puts a cyclist in more danger? Most authorities pay lip service to integrated transport, In the case of cycle lanes they think a 'white line' lane which actually narrows the roadspace for cars is acceptable. What is needed is lanes with a hard border - a kerb if you like - to protect the vunerable. Research has shown that if cycle lanes are provided in such a way two- wheeled traffic will increase especially in the case of children. I would love to ride all the way from Shoreham to the Amex but much of the journey from Ropetackle to the King Alfred Centre is just too dangerous at busy times.

That section is so annoying.
I cycle with one or both of Jnrs to Worthing or Bognor, heading east is along this path in question having never previously cycled that way because it's too dangerous.

The challenge one day is to cycle to Brighton, but it's just not safe.

We could cycle to Portsmouth in relative safety, but who wants to go to Portsmouth for anything other than GWQ, which is right next to the train station.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As a regular cyclist pedestrian and motorist, I w'd say they're not even close to being the most selfish group of road users.

yeah walking w*****s.

splitters.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The only place I’ve seen cycle routes done well in the uk is London. Curbed lanes, dedicated traffic lights and crossings.

A lot of people use them and stay off the road.

I used to commute Shoreham to Worthing, coast path was pretty good. Occasionally get pedestrians randomly walking into your path or tons of pebbles.

Perhaps as part of the driving test you should have to cycle a few miles, everyone will soon appreciate what it’s like to cycle on the roads!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
More arrogant and selfish cycling here, watch from 2 minutes:-

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The only place I’ve seen cycle routes done well in the uk is London. Curbed lanes, dedicated traffic lights and crossings.

A lot of people use them and stay off the road.

I used to commute Shoreham to Worthing, coast path was pretty good. Occasionally get pedestrians randomly walking into your path or tons of pebbles.

Perhaps as part of the driving test you should have to cycle a few miles, everyone will soon appreciate what it’s like to cycle on the roads!

That particular route, highlights some of the main cycling route challenges. At commuting times it is probably okay for a steady ride. Anyone wanting to set a PB, would probably be better on the road. Anyone trying to go anything above walking pace on a Summer Sunday afternoon, will fail and probably fall foul of one of those lovely extendable dog leads. Then you have the awkward pass in front of the Sailing club at Lancing and the pavement diversion coming up to the Brooklands lights.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Even if he was being a self important “I rise where I want” type, I don’t get why he didn’t want to voluntarily use the cycle path anyway. That is a horrible road to drive down and there is genuinely nowhere to get past a cyclist if there is stuff coming the other way.

When my daughter was learning to drive she was the first car stuck behind a cyclist on that very road. We travelled from comet Corner all the way down to Climping with no way of passing and an escalating number of frustrated motorists behind her. She was getting more and more stressed. It was a good lesson in patience but I wouldn’t want to repeat it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow. That motorist gained so much by passing.

Ignorant idiots take all forms and travel in all ways. If everyone was in less of a rush then the roads would be a more peaceful place.

Alright comrade I didn't come here for a lecture in communism.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here