Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ben Stokes charged with affray

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
CPS barristers are not top of the pay scale. The ex Mrs Gwylan did a stint as a barrister for the CPS and I can say that you wouldn't be buying many meals at Le Gavroche with what she was on - Pizza Express maybe.

It's more than twenty years since I knew people who used their services (in Family Courts that was). £50 to £100 an hour wasn't too shabby back then, and I assume it's gone up in the last 20 years. Ain't peanuts!

Even a measly £50 buys a few pizzas!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's more than twenty years since I knew people who used their services (in Family Courts that was). £50 to £100 an hour wasn't too shabby back then, and I assume it's gone up in the last 20 years. Ain't peanuts!

Have a read of this:

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2015...opy-your-case-than-for-someone-to-defend-you/

Legal aid get paid per case not by the hour.

*edit* Oops just seen you were talking prosecution but think similar applies.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
How the F*ck did he get a not guilty looking at that footage ??

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

My thoughts entirely. Before I read your post I was about to post *cough* no fire without smoke without fire *cough*. But....he has been proven entirely innocent so....we must be wrong, wrong wrong about what we think our eyes see....but, anyway, what do you and I know? **** all. Especially you :wink::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Read the rest of the thread alf. Pretty clear why the jury had to find them not guilty.

Yep. Even so. Oh well. I do like a bit of certainty but these days it seems everything is in the eye of the beholder. Erk, did I just say 'these days'? That's the first stage of Victor Meldrew syndrome, that thing I have been so cockily mocking all these years.

I'm finished, aren't I.

:glare::cry::lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My thoughts entirely. Before I read your post I was about to post *cough* no fire without smoke without fire *cough*. But....he has been proven entirely innocent so....we must be wrong, wrong wrong about what we think our eyes see....but, anyway, what do you and I know? **** all. Especially you :wink:[emoji38]ol:
Again. You need to look at the charge, the evidence and the guidance on such. That flow chart sums it up.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

The CPS aren't involved in Family courts. I know that's stating the obvious.
The CPS is basically Civil Service and have been cut back to the bone, and then some.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Interestingly, ITN last night played their interview with the two gay blokes, filmed not long after the incident. They were full of praise for Stokes for stepping in to protect them on the night from two gay-bashing thugs.

That backs Stokes’s story.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I feel that although Stokes has been "Found not guilty "!His life will have changed (for the better )for ever if he is smart!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Interestingly, ITN last night played their interview with the two gay blokes, filmed not long after the incident. They were full of praise for Stokes for stepping in to protect them on the night from two gay-bashing thugs.

That backs Stokes’s story.

Just heard that on the radio. 'Our hero'. This thread is a classic bit of NSC - everyone has an opinion in full knowledge that the facts have not been disclosed (myself included). What an odd lot we humans are.....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A question though....if it is accepted that he hit someone to save others from abuse, presumably verbal. Then does it mean that it is ok to strike another if they verbally insult you?

I had thought no.

Depends if the verbal also includes someone swinging bottles around?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just heard that on the radio. 'Our hero'. This thread is a classic bit of NSC - everyone has an opinion in full knowledge that the facts have not been disclosed (myself included). What an odd lot we humans are.....

Serving on a jury in 2016 was an eye opener for me. The court system was very well run, the judges brilliant in expertly and fairly managing the cases, and the jury’s work well. The Hangem and He-Must-Be-Innocent types weren’t allowed by the intelligent rest to railroad the equitable process.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I still find it so iffy none of it adds up, him flicking the live ash at the gays caught on camera but the same gays still backing him up, What I think happened is he was taking the piss out of the gays was very drunk acting like a idiot and was wanting a fight with someone the other lads were homophobic and Stokes just wanted a fight someone and used that as an excuse by "protecting" these gays that earlier he had flicked ash at. The guy is a prick the making fun of the disabled kid (Katie Price son) he has previous but your probably get people make out he's a hero now.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The two guys he was protecting were told by the CPS and police that they were not required for the trial and their evidence would not be presented.I hope,but doubt,there will be an inquiry into this.Hope Stokes sues for damages.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here