Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
While you are on the moral high ground and accuse others of evasion and distraction, I wonder if you ever responded to the question I asked below? Genuinely humble apologies if you did and I missed it. It's just that (I estimate) around 90-95% of your posts focus on the issue of the outcome of the referendum, denying the will of the majority/undemocratic loons etc. I don't deny this is important and of course it's something of a trump (with a small t) card. But we never really get much by way of a positive vision. How will things be better after Brexit?

Fair enough; ignore the likes of the CBI and TUC if you will. But how about a vision of what the UK might look like in say 3 or 5 years time after the Brexit process? Here are some prompts but feel free to add your own good news items. What will our pattern of international trade look like? How will our public services fare? How about agriculture when we are free from the shackles of the CAP? Will our universities be flourishing? Where will economic growth come from? Will the NHS get its Brexit bonus funding? Will SMEs pick up any slack in the economy? Can we solve the UK productivity problems? Will there be a rebalancing of the economy regionally? Will worker and consumer protection be improved? Will we attract a higher calibre of immigrant?

The thrust of the Brexiteer's arguments don't go much beyond:

a) so called project fear was wrong last time so it'll be wrong again
b) the UK economy is doing better currently than most thought it would (OK, especially Remainers)

So - what is there for us to look forward to after Brexit? Let's have a bit of inspiration. Please?

My sincerest apologies for not replying but I have on numerous occasions posted the positive case for leaving in direct response to accusations that none are forthcoming. Perhaps you missed them.

Increased democratic accountability for those that govern us.

Re-establishing Primacy of UK law.

Halting UK drift towards ever closer union.

Increased control of immigration.

Prioritising UK trade economic opportunities with the fastest growing countries, trade blocks.

Not being part of an organisation that ignores democracy and inflicts crushing austerity on the poorest and most vulnerable (see Greece)

Even the EU fear we will become an economic success, a less regulatory bureaucratic nation, more free market powerhouse on the edge of Europe ... Such a shame many Uk citizens can't see the opportunities

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It really is very, very simple, if you’re not a moron.

We revoke, to avoid a calamitous disorderly exit. Then with the self-imposed deadline removed, we analyse the facts and debate the options properly, without the sword of Damocles hanging over us. Then we act on, or vote on, the sensible alternatives, which might include the status quo.

Or alternatively next time we go back for an extension the EU say it’s open ended but you give us six months notice if leaving. Just take the pressure off and sit down like grown ups to decide how and if we leave.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surprised you haven't joined the 'We've been conned again and given good old Nige another £50 and he's not even joining us, but we're happy to be poorer now and post 29 March, march'

Ah, the good old brexit conspiracy theories line. There is no such march. Sorry to disappoint you; still, I expect you're used to disappointment since the referendum result shocked so many people, eh?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes aware of all that and my god nobody is clean on either side. But regardless, the Remain camp had vastly more things in its favour. The entire establishment was against leaving which probably dwarves anything Trump and co could buy. No, the Remainers were the Man City of Brexit whilst the Leavers were, well, Wigan of the 3rd tier. ‘‘Twas and always will be remembered as an almighty cup shock in football parlance!

Boris Johnsons decision to back leave was a big plus for the leave campaign, the data and reach of Cambridge Analytica, and the simple fact that they could say pretty much what they liked without having to deliver it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Prioritising UK trade economic opportunities with the fastest growing countries, trade blocks.

Which countries did you have in mind?

And what were you planning to sell to them?

Curious whether its something worthwhile we can't do already....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Petition now at 3.7 million, that is pretty impressive

About 10 times that of the petition for no deal, and its only been going 48 hours

Little surprised Brexiteers are terrified of putting Brexit reality to a test with the public

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just doing the banners for tomorrow's march. My 14 year old came up with

Victor Meldrew stole my future...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Rather funny watching the remainers wet their pants in their own echo chamber. Even funnier that some of their predictions have been utterly wrong. Poor old Meg !

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
My sincerest apologies for not replying but I have on numerous occasions posted the positive case for leaving in direct response to accusations that none are forthcoming. Perhaps you missed them.

Increased democratic accountability for those that govern us.

Re-establishing Primacy of UK law.

Halting UK drift towards ever closer union.

Increased control of immigration. this could have been done, but the UK chose not to.

Not being part of an organisation that ignores democracy and inflicts crushing austerity on the poorest and most vulnerable (see Greece) The Conservatives have this covered. But it will be crushing austerity by British people. That makes it ok

Even the EU fear we will become an economic success, a less regulatory bureaucratic nation, more free market powerhouse on the edge of Europe ... Such a shame many Uk citizens can't see the opportunities. how will the UK become a powerhouse? Becoming a tax haven and lowering food and environmental standards. Do you really think the EU fears the UK?

A few points to start.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Rather funny watching the remainers wet their pants in their own echo chamber. Even funnier that some of their predictions have been utterly wrong. Poor old Meg !

Meg says how's your preparations for 'no deal' in 7 days time going, all according to plan ? :lolol:

I have to say, i do admire your unbridled optimism in the face of overwhelming adversity.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I see Eddy Amin Dadda has signed it, He’s been dead since 2003, impressive indeed..

By legal default, on our way.

So, even dead people can see Brexit is stupid yet you can't ?

#gonnastay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here