Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Very expensive phone call

Jul 7, 2003
Flying back from working in Manchester tonight, I was sat at the front of the plane with my noise cancelling headphones on. We taxied our fine but then I noticed we seemed to be heading back to the terminal. The captain then makes a speech about doing what cabin crew tell you and that someone was being removed from the flight.

I thought it might be someone who was drunk but it turned out that some woman was using her phone during the taxi and refused to finish her call so the crew had to stop the take off. It was only a smallish plane and she was sat in a window seat. It took four armed police 20 minutes to get her off the plane and she was still fighting them as she was being taken back into the terminal.

Crew say she will be charged with endangering an aircraft and also resisting arrest. That will be a very expensive phone call.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Flying back from working in Manchester tonight, I was sat at the front of the plane with my noise cancelling headphones on. We taxied our fine but then I noticed we seemed to be heading back to the terminal. The captain then makes a speech about doing what cabin crew tell you and that someone was being removed from the flight.

I thought it might be someone who was drunk but it turned out that some woman was using her phone during the taxi and refused to finish her call so the crew had to stop the take off. It was only a smallish plane and she was sat in a window seat. It took four armed police 20 minutes to get her off the plane and she was still fighting them as she was being taken back into the terminal.

Crew say she will be charged with endangering an aircraft and also resisting arrest. That will be a very expensive phone call.

What a ****ing melt. A year in Guantanamo Bay would be right and proper.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Flying back from working in Manchester tonight,

Crew say she will be charged with endangering an aircraft and also resisting arrest.

That will be a very expensive phone call.

Not as expensive as the calls I used to make at £1.50 a minute that terminated in Guyana.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The Seagull Line on Brighton 8049 wasn’t cheap either - the number of 10p coins I wasted on finding out we’d lost to some team like Oldham, away, on a Tuesday night. :tantrum:

The days of ClubCall and finding out the news before mobile phones. Ah, life was simpler.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Grab her by the balls and hang her upside down by them

el punal

TBF I don't think that was a premium number, even though it was a short one.

You’re probably right, but it was the sheer angst of wanting to know how the team did. There was literally no other means of finding out the score until you looked at the next morning’s papers. You’d put your 10p in the slot - I had to use public phone boxes as I was working away from home - and the dulcet tones of Ron Pavey (?) would come through. You could immediately guess how the Albion did by his tone. Funeral monotone - we lost, matter of fact - we drew, orgasmic yelp - we won.

Life is different now.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
While she should obviously have stopped when asked it is an utter fallacy that mobile phones have any affect on the operation of an aircraft.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
While she should obviously have stopped when asked it is an utter fallacy that mobile phones have any affect on the operation of an aircraft.

True.....my neighbour works for the CAA and has been heavily involved in the research (and the approval of in-flight wifi). However the captain has total authority over the plane, crew and passengers but is also liable for any breaches of aircraft safety, so not doing as instructed is always going to end badly. Daft bint.

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
You’re probably right, but it was the sheer angst of wanting to know how the team did. There was literally no other means of finding out the score until you looked at the next morning’s papers. You’d put your 10p in the slot - I had to use public phone boxes as I was working away from home - and the dulcet tones of Ron Pavey (?) would come through. You could immediately guess how the Albion did by his tone. Funeral monotone - we lost, matter of fact - we drew, orgasmic yelp - we won.

Life is different now.

Ron Pavey never did the Seagull Line - it was Tony Millard.

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
I can’t think of anything worse than sitting next to someone gas bagging on their phone for a whole flight. It’s bad enough on buses and trains.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here