Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I see that the front pages today, are depressingly predictable.

Walked past the racks of papers this morning, and Bercow's face is on every one, accompanied with various disgusting 'Enemy of the people' headlines.

I guess 'Speaker of the House enforces House rules' doesn't sell papers, or mobilise your army of perma-angry gammon readers.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Hmmmm ......

"Scrutiny of such agreements has heightened since Angus Sinclair, a former private secretary to the Speaker John Bercow, told the BBC he was given “compulsory early retirement”, with an £86,250 pay-off dependent on him signing a non-disclosure agreement barring him from making complaints about his treatment in the House"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-agreements-parliament-bullying-a8410956.html

Slight segue off topic, but this an entirely normal process. It's not a gagging order in any way, you could call it a bribe if you like but anyone offered a settlement agreement is perfectly at liberty to turn it, and the money, down and then purse any claims they have against their former employer. Alternatively they could negotiate a higher sum than £86k. Just saying....

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Walked past the racks of papers this morning, and Bercow's face is on every one, accompanied with various disgusting 'Enemy of the people' headlines.

I guess 'Speaker of the House enforces House rules' doesn't sell papers, or mobilise your army of perma-angry gammon readers.

[tweet]1107930087364665345[/tweet]

Yet again the government are crying and moaning because they do not have the numbers to govern properly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dear lord.

Taken from the guardian report on the Leave means Leave march;

"One 72-year-old participant told the Guardian: “I don’t want my grandchildren being conscripted by an EU army likely led by the Germans.” "

Just wow!
What, and you do?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Yes I noticed this too. In my opinion, it is all the fault of this government which has spent 2 years failing to deliver an acceptable Brexit plan, insisting on red lines that won't get it done, only listening to ONE other party (of 10 MPs) who don't even speak for their entire part of the UK and so on. But if you read these gammon-pandering rags, you'd think it was Labour or Bercow to blame.

I'm a remainer who just wants a Brexit that is as sensible as possible, for the sake of democracy. The only way that can be done is to stay inside a customs union and to keep access to the common market. It's not ideal for anyone - remainers and leavers alike - but that's the compromise that needs to be made both to respect the referendum result and to keep the GFA intact. It is high time this useless government woke up to that fact, the useless tossers.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Quick reminder;

Not allowing votes where MPs get to change their minds = undemocratic
Not allowing votes where the public get to change their minds = democratic

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Your last sentence makes no sense at all. I think you may have a bit of an inverse snobbery problem. Something of a chip on your shoulder, I shouldn’t wonder.

Yes yes, go around insulting people. Don't debate. Just insult.

It's this kind of attitude which partly contributed to us leaving in the first place :thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes yes, go around insulting people. Don't debate. Just insult.

It's this kind of attitude which partly contributed to us leaving in the first place :thumbsup:

So you’re saying leave voters voted Leave because of something somebody else said? That’s taking it all a bit personally isn’t it. Sabotage your own nation because someone called you a name?
Weak.

Point of fact: I wasn’t insulting you. I was describing you.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
So you’re saying leave voters voted Leave because of something somebody else said? That’s taking it all a bit personally isn’t it. Sabotage your own nation because someone called you a name?
Weak.

Point of fact: I wasn’t insulting you. I was describing you.

No, that's obviously not what I mean. What contributed to us leaving was lots of people not taking the concerns of Leavers seriously and not wanting to debate them or make a case why they disagree with their point of view. Just shutting them down. Just saying they were wrong, that they didn't know what they were talking about. Just insulting them. Insulting someone is never going to get them to change their mind. You have to actually listen to people, have some empathy, understand where they are coming from. If this had happened and the country had made proper efforts to address their concerns, I'm pretty confident we would have never voted to leave in the first place. We have a big problems with educated and nuanced debate in politics at the moment. This partly contributed to Trump and Brexit. I fear we have not learned lessons.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Hypocrisy & irony meter off the scale on Sky News earlier. ERG loon James Gray complaining his democratic right has been denied by Bercow by refusing a 3rd Meaningful Vote. Naturally he voted no in the first two. He has now changed his mind. Apparently.

Okay for the headbangers to change their minds & demand another vote despite being rejected twice, but not the electorate to have a vote on an issue which is clearly deadlocked in parliament.

Do as I say not as I do......

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, that's obviously not what I mean. What contributed to us leaving was lots of people not taking the concerns of Leavers seriously and not wanting to debate them or make a case why they disagree with their point of view. Just shutting them down. Just saying they were wrong, that they didn't know what they were talking about. Just insulting them. Insulting someone is never going to get them to change their mind. You have to actually listen to people, have some empathy, understand where they are coming from. If this had happened and the country had made proper efforts to address their concerns, I'm pretty confident we would have never voted to leave in the first place. We have a big problems with educated and nuanced debate in politics at the moment. This partly contributed to Trump and Brexit. I fear we have not learned lessons.

I have no desire to change anyone’s mind. In order to change one’s mind, one has to be willing to allow oneself to be informed. Most leavers aren’t willing to listen to reason. Hence we find ourselves in our present funkle.
Damned shame but the majority of people, on either side , are relatively thick.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I have no desire to change anyone’s mind. In order to change one’s mind, one has to be willing to allow oneself to be informed. Most leavers aren’t willing to listen to reason. Hence we find ourselves in our present funkle.

That post demonstrates that you are part of the problem.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That post demonstrates that you are part of the problem.

Go back and read it again. Properly this time. I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you I’m afraid.
We shouldn’t try and change Leavers minds . We should simply cancel Brexit. Yes, some may get their Alan’s in a twist over it but sometimes better people have to step in and protect less educated people from themselves. No second referendum, just shut it down now while we possibly have enough time to apologise and get back on the bus.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

And this makes no sense. By definition the majority of people are not relatively thick, because relative in this context refers to average intelligence. Additionally, data shows that the UK performs relatively well in IQ tests.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here