Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Learning a new language

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I started doing language exchanges in my early 20s so I would put up a note in the English department in Spain or Spanish department in the UK at the local University. Maybe now in my 50s I would have more in common with someone a bit older hahaha so depends how old you are. Otherwise you could try a language school. I have always just exchanged with one person and organized it myself. Maybe you could try putting a notice up at a local language school so you could find native Spanish speakers. I have used this method with Spanish, Basque and French and it really helped. I have never used organized language exchanges but I think they work. Also if you can get Spanish TV try to find a series you like and follow that. It will be tough but you will get small chunks of dialogue and you can set dialogues to be sub-titled in Spanish. My sister is learning Spanish from zero and she watches this series: https://www.mitele.es/series-online/la-que-se-avecina/0000000003580/. Not my cup of tea but each to his own. Good Luck! Just take the learning process one step at a time, there will be good days and bad days!

That show looks so Spanish. That's the problem with Spanish TV; so much of it's crap. Lot's of good films though.

Don't suppose you have any recommendations for series?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
A general tip which I found helpful is to learn the passing words first. The “sort of like” and “I mean” and “you know” etc. They’re half of the language so learning to listen to someone speak without hearing the noise makes it much easier to understand what they’re actually saying.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I moved to Germany 15 years ago. I did an adult education class, didnt help much. So, I started watchimg quiz shows; as you see the words and hear them too. I also bout football manager and played it in German. I also carried a notepad with me, in that notepad I wrote down phrases in English that I needed to learn in German. Got help translating them and then read through the notepad whilst board on sitting on public transport:

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
A general tip which I found helpful is to learn the passing words first. The “sort of like” and “I mean” and “you know” etc. They’re half of the language so learning to listen to someone speak without hearing the noise makes it much easier to understand what they’re actually saying.

Precis!

PaoloAlbioni

May 6, 2016
I’ve been using ‘News in Slow French’ podcasts to help me learn French. I’m sure there are equivalents in Spanish and other languages - just search for what level you want and then download to listen anytime. The basic lessons are free, you pay if you want to access more.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When we drove to Cyprus we met a chap on the ferry from Pireaus to Limassol who was in the army I know nothing about him other than talking to him about learning Greek he told me that he leaned to speak Arabic fluently by sitting in front of a computer 9 hours a day for 6 weeks. He suggested the Welsh schools were going to con sider it to teach French or Spanish to 7 year olds. I dont know if it ever happened as this was 1995

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

That's a great tip and too often overlooked. Learning common discourse markers like that will make your Spanish (or whatever language you're learning) sound much more natural.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I moved to Germany 15 years ago. I did an adult education class, didnt help much. So, I started watching quiz shows; as you see the words and hear them too. I also bout football manager and played it in German. I also carried a notepad with me, in that notepad I wrote down phrases in English that I needed to learn in German. Got help translating them and then read through the notepad whilst board on sitting on public transport:

Same, I found classes not too helpful. Watching quiz shows is a help. I've watched the German equivalent of the chase on ARD plus the one that now comes on at 18.00 in it's place. Plus listening to announcements on trains & trams helps. I too have a random notebook for phrases learnt. Remembering them perfectly and into context is the challenge.

Mastering German grammar is a nightmare. Verb placement in the sentence is slowly making sense. It's not an easy language to learn, but its slowly coming into place. I get by, probably around the A2 level now. My worst moment occurred when feeding the cat of a friend who was away for a few days. A neighbour politely enquired if she could assist me. (being nosy as to why I was in the building) My verb placement & rest of the answer was perfect, but replacing füttern with essen, I told her, I'd come to eat the cat. :eek:

It didn't taste good tbh.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I’m currently trying to learn Spanish and struggling a little bit. I’m luck enough to live in Spain which helps but although my comprehension is (slowly) getting better my speaking is still poor. I realise that in this respect practice makes perfect but I’ve heard many different suggestions on what works. So, what language are you learning/learnt, what methods worked for you and how did you take to a new language?

If you're living in Spain then you're largely there. Trick is to fully immerse yourself as far as possible in situations where only Spanish is spoken. Most people anywhere will be happy to meet you halfway with their language if you show a bit of willing. Start off colloquial and build from there. Spent six weeks as a teen in France where nobody spoke English. By the end of it I was dreaming in French, and haven't forgotten that stuff since. Even on a 3 or 4 mini-break to a new country, it's seems obligatory to me to learn the local language - without resorting to mime - for 'please', 'thank you', 'cheers' 'two beers please', and 'where are are the toilets'. In that order usually.

If all else fails, Google Translate is your best mate.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
I learnt basic Spanish using the pimsleur method within a few weeks. A very easy method that helps you retain the language via repitition which decreases overtime. If I had kept it up Id be fluent by now without a doubt. It's been a while since I had a session but I've still retained enough to get by. I should take it up again to be honest.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Find yourself an intercambio partner so you get the chance to speak regularly. That could also be your gateway to making Spanish friends.

In terms of studying, set yourself achievable goals and write a study plan to make sure you stick to them. Study regularly- a little bit each day, even if it's just 10 minutes.

Make sure you read a lot but more importantly listen. Listen to podcasts, the radio, YouTube, music, TV, people in bars. Keep a pen to hand so you can make a note of new vocabulary/phrases.

Vocabulary is key. You can make yourself understood if you don't know the correct verb conjugation but if you don't know the word you'll get stuck. Make sure you learn vocabulary (and grammar) in context. A list of words isn't useful. Write the new vocabulary into phrases or maybe even short stories or dialogues. Personalise it if possible. That'll make it more memorable. Then try to use it soon and often!

Another vocabulary tip. It can be easier to remember pictures than words so attaching a mental image to a word can be useful. For example, the Spanish for puddle is charco so i imagine a shark swimming in a puddle (shark triggers the recall of charco).

Don't be afraid of making mistakes. It's better to say something a bit wrong than to not say anything. Accuracy will come later.

What level would say you currently are? Whereabouts in Spain are you?

Thanks for this [MENTION=17447]Bakero[/MENTION] some really useful tips. I actually find the verb conjugations pretty easy, anything with a rule seems to stick with me, it’s just the vocab (and I include the numerous verb infinitives in that) which I find harder to remember but I realise it’s a slow process and am trying to do a little each day in between my lesson each week.

I started off in a large language class but soon gave up and moved into a two students to one teacher course. Personally I think it’s great as it gives you quality time with a teacher but you can also learn from the other student (and their mistakes).

I definitely need to find someone to talk with regularly. I’ll set that as my new target for the spring time. I’m currently half way through A2 so I’m hoping that as I progress to B1 and 2 I’ll reach that click moment where you take a off. The only difficulty is living in a smallish town in Catalunya where people would much rather speak Catalan. (I’d like to get a decent grasp of Spanish before starting to learn that).

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I lived in Mallorca for 15 years and learnt a little Spanish, enough to get by. My kids had Spanish friends and learnt fluent Spanish just by being with them.
It was 1989 when we went out and at the time a great course was the Paul Daniels Magic Language Method.
Imagine a cow with a hoover in a field. Vaca. It sounds stupid but it worked.
Best way is to find a Spanish lover!

Not sure that’ll go down well with my wife!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am not sure if its an age thing but I tried to learn spanish when i was in my late fifties but just kept forgetting it after a couple of weeks. Strangely I could still remember a lot of French from when I learnt it 40+ years earlier...

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

Very good tip!

That's a great tip and too often overlooked. Learning common discourse markers like that will make your Spanish (or whatever language you're learning) sound much more natural.

Any suggestions Bakero and [MENTION=26086]basque seagull[/MENTION]?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here