Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Nissan actually put on redundancy papers that staff were being laid off because of an event that doesn’t happen until March 29th 2019?Very odd.
Next you’ll be coming with an anecdote that Euro Disney was built in Paris because We voted for independence in 2016.....laughable old guff.

On our way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are a very strange individual.

Yes, Nissan have moved some administrative and marketing staff to the EU. Not sure why you find that so hard to believe?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I genuinely didn't know there was a Renault–Nissan–Mitsubishi Alliance making the Sunderland result all the more :ohmy:

I'd imagine everybody up there is no more than 2 people removed from the pooh-storm that would be Nissan shifting towards Europe.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I genuinely didn't know there was a Renault–Nissan–Mitsubishi Alliance making the Sunderland result all the more :ohmy:

I'd imagine everybody up there is no more than 2 people removed from the pooh-storm that would be Nissan shifting towards Europe.

Always thought “turkeys voting for christmas” was an amusing metaphor, never thought it would ever actually happen....

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
It seams that Nissan are pulling out a: because of Brexit and B: they cannot be arsed to make their diesel cars environmentally more friendly. Double whammy not to buy from them. Just. Observations

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
On the Nissan decision. Some yes/no questions.

1. Is it a good thing for the British economy?
2. Is it related to Brexit?
3. Is it the sort of thing that Remainers on the thread have been pointing to for the last 2 years?
4. Is it unreasonable for them to mention this now?
5. Should anyone be pleased this has happened?

Correct answers: 1. No 2. Yes 3. Yes 4. No 5. No

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
IMG_0130.JPG

It's happening already.

Bring back British Leyland

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
Think I might buy one, looks better than my 1995 Vauxhall Cavalire

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obviously this is incredibly crude.

According to ONS mid-year population estimates In 2017 Sunderland working age population of:-

According to Wiki the total number of employees Nissan Sunderland has on it's payroll is:-

Or 1 in 25 of all adults in Sunderland are employed DIRECTLY by Nissan.
I'd hate to imagine what the secondary employment rate is.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well Russia still stretches from the Arctic circle to the Pacific but I 'm not sure it's much more diverse than the lands between Crete and the Outer Hebrides. If a young 2p preferred his citizenship to stop on the Isle of Wight, then fine. It's a shame young Britons won't have the choice though.

You really think 27 countries in the EU is the be-all and end-all of the world?Your sights are set very low,but that's to be expected from your generation of selfish under-achieving,inward looking,anti-competition,surrender merchants.As long as your kids get to go to a Euro university,and you get your terrorist-friendly open borders,you don't give a flying fig for anybody who is left behind,like the many million unemployed kids abandoned by the EU.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This investment was cancelled for a variety of reasons (and the net effect is of circa 700 new jobs not being created). It does not affect investment in another model which is still going ahead. It is also linked to the problems with diesel sales being down, but it’s so easy for the usual suspects to start bed-wetting and say “it’s all down to this big, bad, Brexit”.

If Brexit was so bad, why aren’t we seeing it in the employment/unemployment figures or inward investment? We were told by all these experts, that even if we voted to leave we’d start to see the impacts straight away. Hmm, still waiting (awaits the bleating from some about a few jobs going to Frankfurt/Paris). The reality is the UK is still a very attractive place to do business for many reasons, and this ain’t going to change. Be just like the bleating about not joining the Euro.

Very true. People whose agenda it doesn't fit, though, won't be happy with that.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
There’s a lot of businesses and individuals simply using Brexit as an excuse. I even read the MD of Churchill Sq blaming Brexit for the poor trade performance of its retail outlets. Nothing to do with car parking costs, rubbish stores and online shopping.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You really think 27 countries in the EU is the be-all and end-all of the world?Your sights are set very low,but that's to be expected from your generation of selfish under-achieving,inward looking,anti-competition,surrender merchants.As long as your kids get to go to a Euro university,and you get your terrorist-friendly open borders,you don't give a flying fig for anybody who is left behind,like the many million unemployed kids abandoned by the EU.

I agree that youth unemployment throughout the EU (but especially in southern Europe) is at crisis level. But the dissolution of the EU would not be the answer to this problem; the loss of mutual intra-EU trade would - all other things being equal - make it worse. If it could be convincingly demonstrated otherwise then I for one would be on your side - regardless of surrender-monkey (etc) reflexes. Many Remainers are pragmatists.

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
There’s a lot of businesses and individuals simply using Brexit as an excuse. I even read the MD of Churchill Sq blaming Brexit for the poor trade performance of its retail outlets. Nothing to do with car parking costs, rubbish stores and online shopping.
absolutely THIS

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The problem is the Brexit crowd who walk round with their fingers in their ears, going la la la and LEAVE MEANS LEAVE just spout the same old un-researched rubbish so needs to be challenged

The problem is equally the Remain crowd who walk round with their fingers in their ears, going la la la and LEAVERS DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY WERE VOTING FOR and just spouting the same old un-researched rubbish so needs to be challenged.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had a Chrysler Alpine. At least I think that's what it was called

God there were some great cars in the 70s. It wasn't a question of IF they would break down but WHEN.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here