Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Sun what an absolutely gutter press paper it really is!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Many of us know about your habit of making impenetrable remarks and then completely ignoring polite requests to clarify them, but I shall try.

*Clears throat*

"Your comment clearly implies that I am stereotyping Leave voters by suggesting they all read the Sun, Express or Mail, when in fact 14m of them (your figure) don't. Can you please explain where I have said anything of the sort, or indeed said anything other than the fact that the three newspapers described by another as toilet paper are also the leading Brexit-promoting tabloids."
Sigh......

My reply was to a group of posters pointing out that these three papers were pro-Brexit. I agree, generally they are. One of your fellow posters quoted the circulation of 3M for these papers. Three million only - yet 17M plus voted to leave the EU. Do the maths - and try to accept that some leavers made up their own minds to vote leave and didn't vote that way because the Mail/Express/Sun told them to.
And don't tell me you didn't realise that 'Daily Mail readers' isn't one of the many gratuitous (but inaccurate) insults routinely batted out by remainers (along with old, thick, etc., etc)

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Want to make this political, i.e. only talk about non-Labour papers, rather than NSC to reach a rare consensus about scummy antics by any papers? Then let’s bring in the disgraceful questioning by The Guardian of David Cameron’s grief over his disabled lad’s death. They only apologised after a furore.

Not me, I'm just pointing out I can understand why a previous post was made.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Want to make this political, i.e. only talk about non-Labour papers, rather than NSC to reach a rare consensus about scummy antics by any papers? Then let’s bring in the disgraceful questioning by The Guardian of David Cameron’s grief over his disabled lad’s death. They only apologised after a furore.
Agreed that scumminess is not limited to one paper, or group of papers; it's pretty much universal. It's why many of us no longer buy (or subscribe on-line to) any paper.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I cannot see what the fuss is about. An already public domain story resurfaces in a national newspaper because of the family connection to one of our most famous sportsman who wasn’t alive at the time. Such stories have been printed for thousands of famous people before Ben. Never been a fan of the Sun nor unlike some of the hypocrites on here (no doubt!) have I ever bought it. But can’t help feel some of the faux outrage is just because it’s the Sun and it’s in vogue to bash it. Boo, hiss, nasty newspaper printing a 30 year old story...

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Really utterly disgraceful. I (stupidly) thought that this kind of thing was even beneath the Sun this days but there you go. Couldn’t choose a worse person to pick on and they deserve the shit they’ll no doubt get for it. Should be final straw after the Leveson Inquiry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Agreed that scumminess is not limited to one paper, or group of papers; it's pretty much universal. It's why many of us no longer buy (or subscribe on-line to) any paper.

Or any media in that case. Stop reading NSC too. It’s a source of news! I think people need to chill out. Or admit that we read the news that suits our bias. The permanently outraged liberal left read the BBC and Guardian amongst others because they align with their views mostly. Equally right wing perspectives seek the DT, Spectator etc. But essentially, there’s not a written word in any publication that doesn’t suit the authors paymaster! That’s why you have to read multiple sources and make your own mind up, or at least challenge each ones assertions. And even then...But it can be hard to find the truth these days amongst so many misleading or fake sources. Easy to say can’t trust any of them but you’ve got to trust something or someone’s opinion to get by in life and it’s why most of us end up gravitating towards those that express our own prejudices and or life experiences. Naturally so in my opinion!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Or any media in that case. Stop reading NSC too. It’s a source of news! I think people need to chill out. Or admit that we read the news that suits our bias. The permanently outraged liberal left read the BBC and Guardian amongst others because they align with their views mostly. Equally right wing perspectives seek the DT, Spectator etc. But essentially, there’s not a written word in any publication that doesn’t suit the authors paymaster! That’s why you have to read multiple sources and make your own mind up, or at least challenge each ones assertions. And even then...But it can be hard to find the truth these days amongst so many misleading or fake sources. Easy to say can’t trust any of them but you’ve got to trust something or someone’s opinion to get by in life and it’s why most of us end up gravitating towards those that express our own prejudices and or life experiences. Naturally so in my opinion!

Excellent post and so true, but please stop posting such common sense on here.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Excellent post and so true, but please stop posting such common sense on here.

Quite, and again, it highlights the lack of rounded and quality education afforded to so many children. I wont't go anywhere near parenting etc, but it's easy to brain wash the ignorant.

No ones born stupid, ignorant or intolerant.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I cannot see what the fuss is about. An already public domain story resurfaces in a national newspaper because of the family connection to one of our most famous sportsman who wasn’t alive at the time. Such stories have been printed for thousands of famous people before Ben. Never been a fan of the Sun nor unlike some of the hypocrites on here (no doubt!) have I ever bought it. But can’t help feel some of the faux outrage is just because it’s the Sun and it’s in vogue to bash it. Boo, hiss, nasty newspaper printing a 30 year old story...

What an incredibly thick thing to say

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sigh......

My reply was to a group of posters pointing out that these three papers were pro-Brexit. I agree, generally they are. One of your fellow posters quoted the circulation of 3M for these papers. Three million only - yet 17M plus voted to leave the EU. Do the maths - and try to accept that some leavers made up their own minds to vote leave and didn't vote that way because the Mail/Express/Sun told them to.
And don't tell me you didn't realise that 'Daily Mail readers' isn't one of the many gratuitous (but inaccurate) insults routinely batted out by remainers (along with old, thick, etc., etc)

Rubbish, only 1 person mentioned it, you lumped the other posts in because it suited the point you wanted to make.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

In vogue to bash it...since Hillsborough?...since hacking a dead child’s phone? ...I’m trying to work out the in vogue benchmark you’re referring to?

You are right though, printing a tasteless story about a cricketer’s family isn’t it exactly high on the absolute travesties this paper has been responsible for.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
The title of your thread makes it seem like you are surprised by the low standards of the paper. I haven't read it for over 30 years and this is not a surprise revelation to me.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Sigh......

I don't want to labour the point, but I'm afraid you have missed it.

There was no stereotyping. No one suggested that all Leave voters read these three pro-Brexit newspapers. No one claims that the three were responsible for everyone voting Leave. No one failed to do their sums. And I do accept that "some voters made up their own minds to vote leave". Your post was based on a series of misinterpretations.

And it's a shame you felt you had to wheel out the old "they say we're all thick" trope.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I don't want to labour the point, but I'm afraid you have missed it.

There was no stereotyping. No one suggested that all Leave voters read these three pro-Brexit newspapers. No one claims that the three were responsible for everyone voting Leave. No one failed to do their sums. And I do accept that "some voters made up their own minds to vote leave". Your post was based on a series of misinterpretations.

And it's a shame you felt you had to wheel out the old "they say we're all thick" trope.

Mate, that is LITERALLY 75% of GT49er's post content on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here