Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Burnley going down to the same predictable defeat to the champions of Europe. Next weeks game for both clubs is far more important and less easily to predict.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Most teams in this league have to take their turn having a weekend ruined by being The Washington Generals. I'm caught between being pleased that we stuck to continuing to develop our new approach regardless of the odds and being annoyed at all the patronising online comments from the supporters of the UAE Globetrotters. Considering their hateful spoiled-five-year-old comments after the semi final, their approval now amounts to being told 'That's better, good boys, don't try to win, just entertain us whilst taking your inevitable beating.' Stick it!

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
My worry is that we're not scoring goals. Possession and passing well is all very nice but we need points. Obviously we weren't going to get anything today but I don't understand why Duffy was dropped.
We've played City in the last two years & kept it to 1-0 and 2-0.

Did you honestly think we were going to spend £20m on a CB so that he could warm the bench?
Someone had to make way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Would you have CH back?

It's too late for that but I felt he was sacked harshly. That's all water under the bridge now, and not worth discussing.

Never had you down as someone who panics at the first sign, I'm surprised.

I am not panicking, I said I was worried. Obviously, we were never going to win today, but I felt we should have done better against West Ham and Southampton who are teams we need to get something from at home if we are going to avoid relegation.
We scored two goals at Bristol but their defence was well organised and we had to battle to score those two goals.
Yes, I know we score three goals at Watford but it seems Watford are struggling badly at the moment so was it down to their poor form or our play?

Did you honestly think we were going to spend £20m on a CB so that he could warm the bench?
Someone had to make way.

Dunk & Duffy had a great partnership, and I thought Webster looked slightly suspect a couple of times at Bristol (a game I went to)

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The point he is making is that Pep has been consistent at winning stuff. All you are doing is highlighting what has been achieved in basically one off situations.

The point I am making is there is more than one way of playing the game and none of them are ‘right’.

It’s not Pep’s ball and I won’t be accepting a framed picture of Guardiola with his arm around Potter as a symbol of success.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not in a million years. Hated our style of football in the end. Was hoping for a top European coach who has managed at the highest level and Champions league. Instead we have taken a huge risk

Is that Tony Bloom going shit or bust though? I don't think so because I reckon he's put all the variables and algorythms through his bank of supercomputers and come up with a calculated risk.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was making the point that palace when to city with the idea that even though they were cannon fodder, they were going to have a go. Yes, city had an off day and they are the best in the world at the moment, BUT thee was an idea that we go there and who knows. I get the impression and a lot of the comments over the years on here is that there is no point in having a go at these teams as we are not in their league...therefore we have to make sure we beat the teams we are in the same league as..ie the Southamptons and dare I say it Burnley’s of this world. I know that is obvious!

Looks like it will be an interesting season all round.

And 3 out of four seasons we are hammered there 3 or 4 nil. Not sure you're making a valid point.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Someone had to make way.
I had a very good stream so watched all of the game and thought that we looked ok going forward but with no penetration but in so doing our defence looked very suspect and liable to be breached on a breakaway. Two questions

1....Why did we spend that amount of money on him as he looked no better in fact not as good as Duffy.
2. How long will GP persist with a 3 man backline that is generally weak.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
We can give a good European coach a stable environment, world class facilities, money to spend and playing in the Premier league. Not sure a manager would see us as a step down.

Really .... of course it would be a step down. We are relegation fodder ( as are seven or eight other teams tbh) so what top level manager is going to take that on. It takes just one bad job to screw a career...... if we had been comfortably mid table for the last couple of seasons then maybe but not where we are now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It's too late for that but I felt he was sacked harshly. That's all water under the bridge now, and not worth discussing.

I am not panicking, I said I was worried. Obviously, we were never going to win today, but I felt we should have done better against West Ham and Southampton who are teams we need to get something from at home if we are going to avoid relegation.
We scored two goals at Bristol but their defence was well organised and we had to battle to score those two goals.
Yes, I know we score three goals at Watford but it seems Watford are struggling badly at the moment so was it down to their poor form or our play?

Dunk & Duffy had a great partnership, and I thought Webster looked slightly suspect a couple of times at Bristol (a game I went to)

Adam Webster hadn't played a competitive game before the Rovers match and was naturally 'ring rusty'. By all accounts, he played well today and IMHO will only get better as he gets more game time. Nothing against Shane, but it is great to have options. Who knows what will happen, Dan Burn who has started well, is not infallible and may well be the one to be replaced at some stage.
I am not in the slightest concerned about Webster; my 'worries' are at the other end of the pitch.............we must start putting some of our chances away!:thumbsup:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Really .... of course it would be a step down. We are relegation fodder ( as are seven or eight other teams tbh) so what top level manager is going to take that on. It takes just one bad job to screw a career...... if we had been comfortably mid table for the last couple of seasons then maybe but not where we are now.

Leeds didn't do to badly hiring Marcelo Bielsa while in the Championship. No idea why people seem to sniff at our prospects of signing a decent manager with that amount of experience.

Isn't the Premier suppose to be the best league in the world ?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Albion plus points

+ Played our way out of the press (but City didn't tire of it)
+ Possession football is the best form of defence
+ Webster

City plus points

+ Clinical finishing x 4
+ Ederson prevented two big chances with a save and a diving interception
+ 5-1 to City for blocks in their own penalty area

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Adam Webster hadn't played a competitive game before the Rovers match and was naturally 'ring rusty'. By all accounts, he played well today and IMHO will only get better as he gets more game time. Nothing against Shane, but it is great to have options. Who knows what will happen, Dan Burn who has started well, is not infallible and may well be the one to be replaced at some stage.
I am not in the slightest concerned about Webster; my 'worries' are at the other end of the pitch.............we must start putting some of our chances away!:thumbsup:

I thought burn looked tired after 40 minutes so wouldn’t be surprised to see

Duffy dunk Webster in the future

Although the international break will freshen everyone up.

The strength of the squad is a lot better than it was, wouldn’t be surprised to see dunk rested a few league games either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
....the UAE Globetrotters.

:lolol:

On a serious note, it really must be shit-boring having only four games a year to look forward to. Man U home and away, and Liverpool home and away....

All the other games must be like telling the Queen she's visiting somewhere that's had a fresh coat of paint....

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola: "The game was tough. The result was 4-0 but the performance not because they did really well.
"Few teams come here to play with this courage. The difference? My players up front are incredibly good and they make the difference."
Brighton boss Graham Potter: "The score is not what we like, of course, but in terms of the players' effort and their courage, trying to do what we asked them to do, it was a top performance.
"Obviously it doesn't help when you go a goal down so early, but their courage throughout the first half especially, against a top team, was incredible."

Totally agree with both managers, City deserved their win, they are a brilliant football team, i thought we competed well but their class told in the end, although it didn't feel like a 4-0 game.

Also worth remembering this is only our fourth meaningful game under a new manager, who is trying to implement a whole new system, integrating new players into a team that was used to losing. It was always going to take time, the early signs are encouraging, in my opinion we will get better, much better.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Leeds didn't do to badly hiring Marcelo Bielsa while in the Championship. No idea why people seem to sniff at our prospects of signing a decent manager with that amount of experience.

Isn't the Premier suppose to be the best league in the world ?

Marcelo bielsa isn’t what I would call a top European manager. He hasn’t done anything of note since his time in Bilbao back in 2012 yes I did check Wikipedia mainly because I hadn’t heard anything of his career.

A top European manager isn’t going to be decent ... theykre going to be excellent. Decent European manager yes, excellent very unlikely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here