Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion Trivia Question

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
You're getting there....but no-ones mentioned the correct answer yet.

Think it may surprise some.

PG

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It must be a season when some games were called off after the games had started

Yes - there's some trickery going on here. I've checked back to the 1920s (I know, I'm sorry) and none of the straightforward data suggests that someone started 49 league games in a season. I suspect you're on to something with abandoned games.....

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Is the correct answer.

My source is Tim Carder/Roger Harris book Seagulls which classifies all 49 games as League games including playoffs. No trick question here.

For someone known as soft (Wendy) Wilkins led the side and stayed fit all season, contributing 8 goals including our solitary effort in the playoff final.

Well done [MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION] ! Fancy setting a Q?

PG

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm frightfully sorry, but Playoff games are patently NOT League games. There are no points up for grabs, nothing is added to your League total. The games are called "ties" or "legs" with aggregate scores to add up, and there is a Final. They are, in essence, pure cup ties with promotion as the prize.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm frightfully sorry, but Playoff games are patently NOT League games. There are no points up for grabs, nothing is added to your League total. The games are called "ties" or "legs" with aggregate scores to add up, and there is a Final. They are, in essence, pure cup ties with promotion as the prize.

Totally agree, just don't understand how they can be league games given also the potential for extra time and penalties.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Totally agree, just don't understand how they can be league games given also the potential for extra time and penalties.

Exactly.

Every team plays exactly the same number of League games per season. What happens after that is what Americans would call post-season. The League is over. the Playoffs begin.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

I disagree. They are clearly part of the League competition and decide which League you will play in the following season. And if Tim Carder classifies them as such, that's good enough for me.

el punal

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I disagree. They are clearly part of the League competition and decide which League you will play in the following season. And if Tim Carder classifies them as such, that's good enough for me.

Well, we're essentially arguing semantics. I've never considered Playoffs to be "League games" though, its a separate competition that commences after the League is finished, and is played out as a series of cup ties. the League is over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here