Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Your favourite singles that stalled at #2

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not a single, and I’m not sure it stalled, but Def Leppard’s Pyromania album only ever peaked at #2 in the US album charts. This was despite shifting 100,000 plus copies a week for over a year and selling over 10m plus in total in the US alone; it had the misfortune of being released at the same time as Thriller.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Should be the end of the thread.

I have said it before on here. Not as good a song as Joe Dolce's. 'Vienna' is a shallow overblown pompous dirge, whereas 'Shut-up ya face' was catchy and charming and is now just sneered at because it was a novelty.

Dolce was writing about his family and childhood experiences and whilst it played on stereotypes it's humour came from the same place as the 'Goodness Gracious Me' TV series: a second generation immigrant who had found a place in their home country, in Dolce's case Australia, ribbing their parents' generation for their old country ways. It's a seemingly throwaway, but strangely meaningful piece of fluff that was actually funny when we first heard it and wanted to join in back in 1981.

Midge Ure had never been to Vienna, has admitted that his lyrics are pretty much meaningless and has nothing much more going for it once the echoing drum intro has ceased being a novelty and become an irritation. It's the eighties version of 'Whiter Shade of Pale.' 'Ooh it's got classical strings and enigmatic lyrics - that must make it classy and deep' No, just dull and pretentious. The video was also terrible.

I quite like Midge though, particularly for his story about how he ended up becoming the worst guitarist Thin Lizzy ever had.

It couldn't possibly be end of thread anyway. Don't forget that this was kept off number one by the Pet Shop Boys' crap version of 'Always on My Mind'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l14aDp-4NKk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have said it before on here. Not as good a song as Joe Dolce's. 'Vienna' is a shallow overblown pompous dirge, whereas 'Shut-up ya face' was catchy and charming and is now just sneered at because it was a novelty.

Dolce was writing about his family and childhood experiences and whilst it played on stereotypes it's humour came from the same place as the 'Goodness Gracious Me' TV series: a second generation immigrant who had found a place in their home country, in Dolce's case Australia, ribbing their parents' generation for their old country ways. It's a seemingly throwaway, but strangely meaningful piece of fluff that was actually funny when we first heard it and wanted to join in back in 1981.

Midge Ure had never been to Vienna, has admitted that his lyrics are pretty much meaningless and has nothing much more going for it once the echoing drum intro has ceased being a novelty and become an irritation. It's the eighties version of 'Whiter Shade of Pale.' 'Ooh it's got classical strings and enigmatic lyrics - that must make it classy and deep' No, just dull and pretentious. The video was also terrible.

I quite like Midge though, particularly for his story about how he ended up becoming the worst guitarist Thin Lizzy ever had.

It couldn't possibly be end of thread anyway. Don't forget that this was kept off number one by the Pet Shop Boys' crap version of 'Always on My Mind'.

Well I like it :shrug:

What I don't like is tiresome bores telling me whether I'm supposed to like a song or not.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Well I like it :shrug:

What I don't like is tiresome bores telling me whether I'm supposed to like a song or not.

You don't like the Tiresome Bores? Their single 'Ad Hominem Never Wins An Argument' was one of the greatest things to come out of the 1990s South American trad-skiff-metal boom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here