Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha reveals (claims) he receives racist abuse "nearly every game"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/wilfried-zaha-racist-abuse-234111

"Nearly every game I’m called a monkey or a n***** or a whatever," he says.

Anyone else find this hard to believe?!

Never picked up by microphones? Never reported to police or by players?

Zaha is verbally abused by the fans of every opponent

1. Because he is Palace's best player by a country mile

2. Because he has a tendency to dive and try to win penalties

Do I personally think that at least some of that verbal abuse coming from the stands contains a racial tone - Too right I do

There is no reason for him to lie. What would he gain. All he would get would be further abuse on line and more abuse of the same ilk the next time he turned out against that Club.

Just look what Gaetan Bong had to endure from one incident. Threads like this do not help. That's why he doesn't complain about it. Like this thread, people just waiting to wade in and call him a liar.

We have a long long way to go in fighting Racism. We really do if we are gonna jump on someone if they dare to raise the issue......................Sad indeed !

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

To my mind there’s a *million miles* between abuse and racist abuse.

Fair shout re: Ebola chant above, btw. Not good, and definitely counts as racism.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Do I personally think that at least some of that verbal abuse coming from the stands contains a racial tone - Too right I do

There is no reason for him to lie. What would he gain. All he would get would be further abuse on line and more abuse of the same ilk the next time he turned out against that Club.

Just look what Gaetan Bong had to endure from one incident. Threads like this do not help. That's why he doesn't complain about it. Like this thread, people just waiting to wade in and call him a liar.

We have a long long way to go in fighting Racism. We really do if we are gonna jump on someone if they dare to raise the issue......................Sad indeed !

The difference between Bong and Zaha is that Bong reported it immediately, said who it was and what they'd done and went through due process. Zaha has snided at the end of the season.

All set up for him to play the race card next season when he's booed at the Amex.

I'm sure he gets comments with racial overtones too BTW and I'm absolutely certain there are a minority of racist fans at many grounds and a few pissed up, un-educated teens who will join in because they think it's funny. But you need to nip it in the bud there and then ( c.f. Bong and Sterling), not wait till joe.co.uk offers you an interview.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whether or not that is the case I'm a little surprised that a thread would have been started intending to counter it and fuel another Zaha binfest.

Racism is an issue in sport and shouldn't be a platform used as a banter football to start to having a go at an opposition player who's experience we know little of.

Grow up.
Racism is of course a big issue and of course I'd like the authorities to take a harder line against it. What he alleges is quite shocking to me and if he's right, it's appalling and people should be prosecuted. But what he alleges is so shocking to me that I really not convinced it's true. IMO it's fair to question whether this is true or not.

Your question was 'Anyone else find this hard to believe?!'

The answer is that no-one knows except him.
Well no, that's not the answer. The answer is clearly yes, some other people find it hard to believe.

What is for sure is that he gets a lot of it from various platforms.
Not relevant.

Whether 'every game' is over-playing or not really isn't an issue. He's the only victim here.
Of course whether it's 'every game' or not is an issue. There is a problem with racism in the game, but if it's as he says then it's far worse than most of us realised, and much more in terms of policing, recording and prosecuting should be done.

You don't help the fight against racism by making stuff up. It was alleged the Bloom fired Chris because he's black. What a load of ****ing crap that accusation was, and the accusation did nothing to help the fight against racism.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Is it just me, but I can't recall a single instance of that sort of nonsense, either home or away fans, since the gates opened at the Amex?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If he was getting monkey chants and being called a "******" at almost every game he plays in, I think it would certainly have been picked up on by now. Look at the (justified) furore when Sterling was abused by a section of the crowd at Chelsea this season. This stuff doesn't get brushed under the carpet in this country, the media pick up on it and highlight it.

I'm not saying that it doesn't go on. But "nearly every game" ? Seems a stretch.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If he was getting monkey chants and being called a "******" at almost every game he plays in, I think it would certainly have been picked up on by now. Look at the (justified) furore when Sterling was abused by a section of the crowd at Chelsea this season. This stuff doesn't get brushed under the carpet in this country, the media pick up on it and highlight it.

I'm not saying that it doesn't go on. But "nearly every game" ? Seems a stretch.

It's not been picked up once has it?

To my knowledge, not once have right-minded opposing fans outed the bad apples in their midst, stewards ("nearly every game" means half of those will be at Selhurst), police, Palace fans, his teammates nor Roy Hodgson passed any comment on Zaha being racially abused.

It goes without saying that racist abuse is truly abhorrent, obviously and the heaviest action possible taken against those who engage in it. But someone has to report it first...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
tumblr_lxal9shzSX1r4qlp5o1_400.jpg

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If he's racially abused at every game, that means there is racist chanting at EVERY premier league ground.....if that's the case, then it makes no sense to me that Zaha would be the only recipient of that abuse. Logically all black players would be subject to racist chants, and I'm not clear why loads of other black players aren't saying the same thing. I'm not saying it doesn't happen....unfortunately I'm sure it does. But, as Easy 10 says, "every game" seems a stretch. On the other hand, I can believe that Zaha gets a sh1t load of abuse thanks to his diving.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The difference between Bong and Zaha is that Bong reported it immediately, said who it was and what they'd done and went through due process. Zaha has snided at the end of the season.

All set up for him to play the race card next season when he's booed at the Amex.

I'm sure he gets comments with racial overtones too BTW and I'm absolutely certain there are a minority of racist fans at many grounds and a few pissed up, un-educated teens who will join in because they think it's funny. But you need to nip it in the bud there and then ( c.f. Bong and Sterling), not wait till joe.co.uk offers you an interview.

Do you honestly think it gets '' nipped in the bud '' if you mention it immediately
- If you think that then you have absolutely no idea of the scale of what is happening.

Bongy had to hire a company to go through the internet and try and clean up some of the stuff that was written and it is ongoing - The content is horrendous and it is so widespread he will never be able to have it all cleaned up - That's what people face if they even dare to mention these things. It is not easy for people to even mention such things - I think Zaha is brave to even mention it and address this

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
He does get abuse in almost every game, I would be staggered if he got monkey chants and ni**** shouted at him in almost every game. I cannot really comment I guess as I cannot say for sure but I would be amazed if that were the case. I am pretty sure that if anyone at The Amex did either of those things even against Palace then they would be reported and ejected asap.

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
I have heard a LOT of abuse towards Zaha, but never a single racist comment. Maybe we BHA fans are just more evolved?
Most of our fans are certainly not racist, but some are not ‘more evolved’. There was a video circulating of our fans singing zaha has malaria. There was also a guy in the north stand last season against Leicester who, for about 20 minutes, was shouting at Okazaki saying ‘where are your eyes’, ‘you can’t see the ball’. This happened until he was confronted, to which his response was ‘I’m only joking mate’

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Most of our fans are certainly not racist, but some are not ‘more evolved’. There was a video circulating of our fans singing zaha has malaria. There was also a guy in the north stand last season against Leicester who, for about 20 minutes, was shouting at Okazaki saying ‘where are your eyes’, ‘you can’t see the ball’. This happened until he was confronted, to which his response was ‘I’m only joking mate’

I agree, my comment was lighthearted. There are idiots in all crowds. But I genuinely have never heard anyone shouting racist stuff at Zaha.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Zaha is stone wall liar on this issue. He gets alot of abuse because he's also a massive ****. I'm sure he has experienced some racial abuse on very rare occasions but if it was every week it would have already been picked up and be a massive issue.

Racial abuse just isn't tolerated in this country especially in the current climate. I actually cant think of any other black player that has claimed sustained domestic racial abuse from the terraces beyond very very isolated incidents.

The bloke is the biggest idiot in football in my opinion and looking for any excuse to play victim.

I'm only surprised that in this post you haven't claimed to know him personally.

You seem to claim you know everyone else in football.

Prat

Do you honestly think it gets '' nipped in the bud '' if you mention it immediately
- If you think that then you have absolutely no idea of the scale of what is happening.

Bongy had to hire a company to go through the internet and try and clean up some of the stuff that was written and it is ongoing - The content is horrendous and it is so widespread he will never be able to have it all cleaned up - That's what people face if they even dare to mention these things. It is not easy for people to even mention such things - I think Zaha is brave to even mention it and address this

Bongy.........!!!

Let me guess, he's your mate?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s very easy for Black players that aren’t especially liked for their cheating antics on the pitch to receive a chorus of boos and general abuse and believe this to be racial in nature. We’re all guilty of hearing what we want to, especially if you’ve a victim complex like he does e.g. refs don’t protect him, always being fouled, should be at a bigger club etc. I really doubt his accusation. His tendency to exaggerate is there for all to see everytime he rolls 20metres. Nothing to do with his colour. Everything to do with his integrity. He doesn’t strike me as the brightest off the pitch either, more the sort who demands rather the earns respect.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Whether or not that is the case I'm a little surprised that a thread would have been started intending to counter it and fuel another Zaha binfest.

Racism is an issue in sport and shouldn't be a platform used as a banter football to start to having a go at an opposition player who's experience we know little of.

Grow up.

If this was another player I doubt we would see this thread.

Disagree.. It’s a fair post and my opinion is he has once again come across as a compulsive liar and a thick ****. There is no way that comment is true in my honest opinion. No fecking way. Bong/Sterling etc have had cases over one alleged comment. There’s no way this loser would have kept quiet. Playing the race card so blatantly like this is actually causing an issue over nothing and fueling the whole race row by making out it’s a bigger problem than it is. In my opinion. What a ****. In my opinion. Attention seeking ****.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Let's be honest, he will have definitely heard some racist abuse during his career, but I think he is exaggerating for effect. I have seen him play against us at least four times and yes I've heard him being abused for falling over, but I can honestly say I have never heard him being abused about his skin colour by a Brighton fan, home or away. In fact it is probably 25 years since I heard an Albion fan abuse a player because he was black and even back then he was told to shut the f*** up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here