Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leandro Trossard SIGNS ON A FOUR-YEAR DEAL

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I can understand the criticism of Locadia, although his few goals all mattered for us in the Premier League last season - winner against Everton and an equaliser against Arsenal. Crucial goals, and if he'd played through the middle more often I think he'd have scored even more goals for us. I think he's a very simple footballer, give him a chance in the box and he'll score a goal. I don't see a problem with that! Andone is a very good player, just a bit prone to the red mist and an injury.

You've rolled the clock back there, when we first signed Duffy I didn't see the need to put a blocker in place of Goldson and we had Hünemeier - obviously he's done his talking on the pitch and nobody is suggesting he shouldn't be first choice anymore.

Only marginally worse than Knockaert last season in terms of numbers, 1 goal and 5 assists in the Premier League. Knockaert only managed 2 goals and 6 assists, not that much better in truth.

I'm a season ticket holder, so yes, thank you, I have. He scores goals when he gets a chance in the box. The man is a finisher, he just needs to spend more time up front and less time on the wing. He's not a good left winger, but he could be a very good number 9.

Fair enough, I wasn't on here that much last season.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He isn't one of our best players, not for me. Him and March are both players I'd look to replace. I'm happy with Murray, Andone and Locadia as strikers so I don't think we need to be spending too much money there, but if we can snap up a couple of wingers then by all means.

I'd be more than happy to see him stick around and play under a more attacking manager, he could be a revelation. But he's had two years to impress and has only done so in a handful of games in my opinion. We've probably had more stupid moments and strops than we've had genuinely good performances since we got promoted. We know he has issues, but I think it's only reasonable to keep defending him for so long.

I was talking about March. I'm guessing you're talking about Knockaert? In which case I'd agree.

I disagree about replacing March though. I think there's a very good player in there who could flourish with the right manager.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I was talking about March. I'm guessing you're talking about Knockaert? In which case I'd agree.

I disagree about replacing March though. I think there's a very good player in there who could flourish with the right manager.

This with bells on. March was one of only a handful of BHA players who could say they did well last season. For me he was the only bright spark in an otherwise depressing last 2 months as well. Examples being he dragged us back into it v Newcastle, was excellent at Arsenal, made an impact off the bench v Spurs.
I still maintain he has a greater impact on the left where he does actually deliver an end product, rather than the right where he flatters to deceive most of the time.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
This with bells on. March was one of only a handful of BHA players who could say they did well last season. For me he was the only bright spark in an otherwise depressing last 2 months as well. Examples being he dragged us back into it v Newcastle, was excellent at Arsenal, made an impact off the bench v Spurs.
I still maintain he has a greater impact on the left where he does actually deliver an end product, rather than the right where he flatters to deceive most of the time.

Very much agree.

The game for me where March looked at his best was at home to Watford.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
March seems to me to be of good character and can be relied upon for effort. He also will contribute significantly over the season. Ok not a 'world beater' at PL level but we are not going to have those. He will start some and be on the bench for some. Perhaps making his work more productive can be a realistic aim for GP rather than turning around the fortunes of the likes of Locadia and AJ which is more of a challenge

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
March seems to me to be of good character and can be relied upon for effort. He also will contribute significantly over the season. Ok not a 'world beater' at PL level but we are not going to have those. He will start some and be on the bench for some. Perhaps making his work more productive can be a realistic aim for GP rather than turning around the fortunes of the likes of Locadia and AJ which is more of a challenge

Solly was our best player for the last half dozen games or so. He was consistent and personally, if GP plays wingers (that remains to be seen yet) he would be my first choice. I also think Solly can play different positions. We've seen him have a few games in the No 10 role and in midfield in the past.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Arsenal fans have got to be pretty pee'd off to be in a bidding 'war' with Lil old Albion.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Solly is a Brighton player,as opposed to somebody earning a living playing at Brighton.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Trossard is LW, right? So why are people banging in about Solly, who is RW!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I disagree as I think that he is better on the right cutting in and onto his left peg.

Knockaert's winner at Palace aside, it's difficult to argue that either March or Knockaert cutting from the right onto their left foot did the team any real favours last season.

When you have Murray on the pitch, who thrives on and is excellent at getting on the end of deliveries into the box - why not make sure that there are plenty of them for him to feed on? Our tactics last season were naive at best, negligent at worst.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Knockaert's winner at Palace aside, it's difficult to argue that either March or Knockaert cutting from the right onto their left foot did the team any real favours last season.

When you have Murray on the pitch, who thrives on and is excellent at getting on the end of deliveries into the box - why not make sure that there are plenty of them for him to feed on? Our tactics last season were naive at best, negligent at worst.

I don't think this has really been talked about nothing. Murray, considering, had a great season. We just didn't get the ball in the box to him enough, and one of the major reasons for that was the way we set our wingers up. It really makes absolutely no sense. I'd love to know Hughtons thinking about it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think this has really been talked about nothing. Murray, considering, had a great season. We just didn't get the ball in the box to him enough, and one of the major reasons for that was the way we set our wingers up. It really makes absolutely no sense. I'd love to know Hughtons thinking about it.

I'll hazard a guess Mr Hughton didn't want to fully commit to the clubs transfer dealing, despite signing off on them.
But he knew something had to change or else he'll be shown the door.

He thought he'd change enough to seem 'progressive', but not enough to lose his 'identity'. (for want of a better word)

In doing so, he somehow ended up stitching together the worst of both philosophies, causing him to be shown the door.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wonder if one of the statisticians on here can say from which crosses did GM score most headed goals was it from the left or right wing and who provided the crosses.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I wonder if one of the statisticians on here can say from which crosses did GM score most headed goals was it from the left or right wing and who provided the crosses.

Whilst that might be an interesting historical investigation, if it's relevant for the forthcoming season we're doomed, DOOMED!!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'll hazard a guess Mr Hughton didn't want to fully commit to the clubs transfer dealing, despite signing off on them.
But he knew something had to change or else he'll be shown the door.

He thought he'd change enough to seem 'progressive', but not enough to lose his 'identity'. (for want of a better word)

In doing so, he somehow ended up stitching together the worst of both philosophies, causing him to be shown the door.

Ultimately, Mr Hughton did not set the team up in a way to get the maximum output from each player. I would be very interested to know why he didn't play Jahanbakhsh on the right, why he didn't play Solly March on the right, why Gross was being used as a central midfielder despite his performances in that position and why he was so quick to drop Kayal at every opportunity despite him never letting the team down when he played.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here