Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Original songs that were NEVER covered with a better version

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or Will Young

It is tough to find too many orginals that weren’t covered better by someone else too in fairness

Here is an irony, that I posted on another thread, Dubstar did a killer cover of Billy Bragg's St Swithin's Day that smashes the original (which I also love), while Dubstar's own Stars is smashed by the Lacuna Coil cover. It is a funny old world.

As I am not the sort of bloke to derail a thread (ahem), I won't post the youtube links.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I cant bear cover versions. They should be banned. My only other contribution is to nominate every original song apart from Rocketman by Kate Bush.

Thanks. In searching this out came across her version of Sexual Healing. I had not heard it before, and think it's another that she's improved!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks. In searching this out came across her version of Sexual Healing. I had not heard it before, and think it's another that she's improved!

Good call. In fairness to Bush, she is the guvnor.

The absolute septic pus of cover versions are those that are slowed right down. As far as I'm concerned, Sting deserves cutting for ruining his own song don't stand so close to me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The absolute septic pus of cover versions are those that are slowed right down. As far as I'm concerned, Sting deserves cutting for ruining his own song don't stand so close to me.

That's a bit of a generalisation: there are some excellent slowed-down cover versions. Portishead's take on SOS is great - not better or worse than Abba's, just different

johnjim

Sep 2, 2008
bexhill
IN A BROKEN DREAM
Python Le Jackson, probably Rod Stuart's finest ever vocal.
Covered by Thunder and one or two others.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That's a bit of a generalisation: there are some excellent slowed-down cover versions. Portishead's take on SOS is great - not better or worse than Abba's, just different

Hold up fella. Portishead were from a different dimension. They were more than capable of creating wonderful new work. Covers are cheap and lazy.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here