Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What rumour about a player coming to the Albion has excited you the most?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wayne Bridge, genuinely delighted when he rocked up.

Those sprints down the wing were a thing of wonder. One of my all time favourite Albion players.

I was also very excited when we signed Rod Thomas, a beacon of quality in the dark days and the sending off at the Priestfield for the full length save was the funniest moment of a pretty grim period.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Rumour has it, allegedly, that the Albion paid Tottenham £5,000 for Bobby Smith, but, also had to clear his gambling debts of around £30,000. How true is that . . . . ? :shrug:

£35,000 would be nearly £700,000 in today's money. Not sure the club would have stumped that up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wayne Bridge, genuinely delighted when he rocked up.

I wasn't.

My perception of Bridge was of a player well past his best, happily picking up a gigantic paycheque at his club, with little or no interest in actually playing. He'd barely featured for City for yonks. Him dropping down to the 2nd division to play for BHA looked like being a classic case of someone rocking up here just to go through the motions.

Shows what I know. How wrong could I be ? He was absolutely brilliant for us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wasn't.

My perception of Bridge was of a player well past his best, happily picking up a gigantic paycheque at his club, with little or no interest in actually playing. He'd barely featured for City for yonks. Him dropping down to the 2nd division to play for BHA looked like being a classic case of someone rocking up here just to go through the motions.

He said he fell in love with football again whilst playing for us.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Those sprints down the wing were a thing of wonder. One of my all time favourite Albion players.

I was also very excited when we signed Rod Thomas, a beacon of quality in the dark days and the sending off at the Priestfield for the full length save was the funniest moment of a pretty grim period.

Oh yes, loved Rod!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I wasn't.

To be honest, that’s a very fair comment - you probably weren’t alone in thinking those thoughts... could so easily have proven to be the case. Upson fell into a similar category.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I wasn't.

That was exactly how l felt too, was genuinly amazed, (and delighted), that he proved me so wrong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Alex Dawson
Joe Kinnear
Jimmy Case

Edit: Just had a look at Joe Kinnear's wiki page. There is a further Brighton connection - one can only assume that our former manager did not acquire his genial repartee from imitating Kinnear:

On 2 October 2008, after a controversial start to his tenure at Newcastle after launching a verbal tirade at the Daily Mirror journalist Simon Bird, calling him a "****". He swore over 70 times in the interview with Bird and other members of the media. The club's press officer tried to order the assembled journalists not to publish any extracts from the tirade, but Kinnear himself gave the journalists permission to write up whatever they wanted from his remarks. Later in the interview, he announced that he would no longer deal with the national media while he was Newcastle manager, and that he would only speak to local newspapers from then on, with first team coach Chris Hughton handling all other interviews.

:lolol:

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
To be honest, that’s a very fair comment - you probably weren’t alone in thinking those thoughts... could so easily have proven to be the case. Upson fell into a similar category.

Absolutely agree, he was fantastic for us and I can easily forgive his og V 'can't remember ' ! :ffsparr:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
But he signed in August?

Yes, you're quite right. Loan signing in February, permanent signing in August.

The shameless wallowing in nostalgia has obviously got to my head here!

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Kanchelskis. Early 2004, I was sure it was going to happen. Was even going to get the name on the back of my yellow away shirt that I’d recently brought ��

Also for Lua Lua to join permanently.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Khouma Babacar last season (maybe season before).

He was one of my goto signings on Football Manager and ended up being our all time top scorer in one save. I was ridiculously excited when we were linked even if it was only for a day or two.

Babacar and CMS......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw SAVAGE on the back of a shirt one late Friday afternoon at Withdean, which was before his loan was common knowledge, the knowledge rather than the player excited me.

Baz's biggest fan?

I'm not the sort of fan that keeps abreast of other teams' players, as such it is rare that I get excited by players (the plus side is that I have a natural tendency to wait an see how they perform for us before writing anyone off!). To be honest, I didn't really understand the immensity of Vicente's pedigree while we were courting him. Returning players have that 'yeah, it's a final tour, it won't be the same' sense to them. I enjoyed the thread following him, but would be unlikely to consider myself excited about it. CMS, as top scorer in our division was one that I was mildly excited about. But it was probably Robbie Savage or Lee Hendrie coming in, because they were names I recognised. I don't know that either could be considered much of a success.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Absolutely. Nothing comes close. Can't remember how many rumours there were though as rumours were a lot more difficult to communicate back then!

You are right. I think it was a rumour first to me as one of my school mates told us in the school playground...and, us football mad kids all laughed at him of course. Think his dad had read it in the previous evening's 'late argus extra' or something

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here